Tractionator desert H/T 80mph max

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Eldon, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Eldon

Eldon 90% Bike 10% Rider

Oddometer:
    I recently picked up a set of Tractionator Deserts to run on my 950 Adv down in Baja this spring. I picked them up at such a good price I overlooked the speed rating which is only 80 mph. I only require about 1200 mile out of them for this trip, but usually run about 200 of those miles on pavement at speeds of 85-100mph.
    So my question is to anyone that has run these tire on a big bike.
    Have you run them on pavement near or above the speed rating for an extended time? How did they handle it?

I wish the Michelin Deserts were still availible. They worked out perfect last trip. Oh well
  2. stevodadevo

stevodadevo What happened?

Oddometer:
    I can't answer your question about speed rating but I'm making the same trip on the same tires in April!

I'm a bit worried about the mileage I'm going to get out of the tire and am thinking about shipping a set down the La Paz. What are your plans? Do you think you can make it there and back on the same set of tires? If not, are you replacing fronts AND rears?
  3. WallyWhirled

WallyWhirled Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have these on both my SE and Adventure. Front and rear. The SE is sketchy under hard acceleration at 80+ MPH. High speed head shake. Bike also tends to wander in the sweepers on pavement. The Adventure seems less affected.

Rear is great. Hooks up surprisingly well in sand/dirt. Wears about as long as a 908. I probably will not run one of these on the front again. Will go to an MT 21 for directional stability and being able to simply turn the wheel around to reverse rotational direction for better tire wear. I hear the Pirelli Rally is a good front and will try one after burning through the Tractionator fronts on the SE.
  4. Eldon

Eldon 90% Bike 10% Rider

Oddometer:
    I'm crossing my fingers and just running one set. I will be with a group taking it easy and I'll be unloaded so I'm sure they should last. My main concern is the possibility of thowing knobs at high speed on the highway on the way back.
  5. stevodadevo

Oddometer:
    I just realized you are only doing 1200 miles this trip. I'm doing closer to 2500 miles (San Diego to Cabo and back).
  6. Eldon

Eldon 90% Bike 10% Rider

Oddometer:
    You could always run the Mefo Super Explorer rear and the Tractionator front if you don't want to swap. But if you have the funds, don't mind the swap, and have a heavy right hand then I'd at least have a rear waiting to switch out.

Have fun

What week in April? We'll be there from the 15th - 21st.
  7. stevodadevo

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I think we're going to just ship some tires down. Better to be safe than sorry. I doubt any place in Cabo or La Paz is going to have that size rear.

We are heading down 4/6 - 4/19.
  8. Locker43

Locker43 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    One rear will be fine! Ran the last day of the Mexican 1000 on a new one last year, then sat my chase driver on the bike who rode out from Cabo to TJ, probably could've done that twice with it. They can take sustained hi speed dirt or pavement no prob. This was on a SE by the way.
  9. stevodadevo

Oddometer:
    Your chase driver rode from Cabo to TJ on the street?

Decisions...Decisions...
  10. Eldon

Eldon 90% Bike 10% Rider

Oddometer:
    Wow, good to hear! This tire is sounding better and better.
  11. mikeegee

mikeegee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Put 1000 miles on them from home to last year's CJ Designs Tech/Rider weekend, so I was fully loaded for camping.

Temp was 100+ degs in both directions, half was fully interstate at 80+.

The tires handled it no problem. There are cracks around the base of some of the knobs, but those were there prior to the trip.
  12. biggus

biggus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just picked up a few MOTOZ TIRES myself!

Does anyone have experience with the 90/100/21 Front Tire?

Debating whether to mount this up for my next trip or the Pirelli RallyCross MT21 front.

[​IMG]
  13. dirtybikefrank

dirtybikefrank Beast wrestler

Oddometer:
    Have that tire on the front of my 990 adventure. Even though it's mostly in the air since the 16t was added, it hooks up great on and off road. I have about 600 mostly dirt miles on it and it still looks new. The tires sound like a tractor on the pavement...my redneck side kinda digs it.
  14. biggus

biggus Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I have heard that they are pretty loud but not too concerned with that since I run wide open Wings.

How low air pressure can you run in these tires without flattening out stock rims?

I am surprised that the Enduro TEI 140/80/18 has a R rating.
    akrasne likes this.
  15. ABuck99

ABuck99 0.0

Oddometer:
    Eldon- I didnt get from your post if you were talking about front or rear or both Tractionator HT.

The front Motoz HT is bulletproof, its a great durable tire, but on pavement, it tends to create a little head shake until its well worn in. Some people love em, but takes a little getting used to.

As for the rear, unless you are running a 2.5" rear wheel off the SE or 690, - I would not recommend running a 140 Motoz, or any 140 width tire on your LC8. The 950/99 ADV rear rim is 4" to 4.25" wide depending on the year. A 140 width tire is not designed to go on a wheel over 2.5 to 3." wide. Sure it will fit, but the profile will be flattened out, side wall compromised, and will handle like crap. Check the load index as well.

The tractionator HT is an awesome tire, Ive used them for a few years on my 450 & 690 with stellar durability and mileage. It would be great if Motoz made a 150 profile for the bigger bikes.
  16. stevodadevo

Oddometer:
    I've run many 140 / 80 tires on my 990 and never had an issue. The difference between a 140/80 and 150/70 are so small that it won't make a difference with a tire like the Tractionator (with it's huge knobbies).

By the way, I just ordered a few sets of Tractionators for my Cabo trip from https://www.dualsportarmory.com/index.php after calling to verify stock. I spoke to Allen and he took the time to track down the tires in another state. So awesome to deal with someone like that. They even offer an advrider discount! Give him your business!
  17. dirtybikefrank

Oddometer:
    Funny. They're big ass knobs and they handle like....big ass knobs. They last forever and I run about 10 lbs offroad. Yeah 10. I can outclimb most 450's on my 990.

But shhhhh....

Don't tell anyone or they'll soon shoot up in price like the 908's...
  18. biggus

biggus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There was a review on Youtube that says they were equal to if not better than the 908. I am hoping they do well in MUD!

Are you running stock rims at 10 lbs? Rim Locks?

What psi have you found that works well on the asphalt?
  19. dirtybikefrank

Oddometer:
    For me they outshine the 908's in price, usability and durability. I'm not easy on the throttle on the street and can easily wear out a set of tkc's in 2500 miles.

Running the enduro on my 525 riding about 70% offroad w bead locks at 8-12 psi if it's not too rocky and 20 ish on the pavement.

Slapped the desert on my 990. 10-12 psi offroad w no bead locks. 25 ish on road for commuting. These things are a bitch to mount. Never had to pull tug stomp hit cuss that much in my life putting a tire on. Once they're on id bet you could run w no air pressure and the sidewalls would hold...

Hats off to you down under boys for making a tire that can get thrashed for miles and miles.
  20. biggus

biggus Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I can buy plenty of these rears for what a 908 is going for these days!

Thanks for the tid bit on psi. Now you got me not looking forward to mounting these up. Was going to do it in a hotel parking lot in Laos next week!

You kind of described this tire exactly what I heard about the "Terror Flex"...well with it being a bitch to mount and with side walls strong enough and being able to run flat.:lol3