Do you like/use the stock tires on your KLR ? why? for what?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by damasovi, Oct 26, 2007.

1. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi,

Since there are so many nice tires out there I wanted to know if anybody uses and likes the stock Dunlop K750 tires that come with the KLR 650, I think even on the new 08 bikes? and if you do, when and for what do you use them and how long (miles/Km wise) they last?

I like them BUT I have never ridden anything else than that, no TKC80 or D606 or anything else, so I want to know if I am wrong. Last time I got around 6,500 miles from a back tire and even more from the front one (10K) I am getting too little? The use is like 99% road and 1% dirt.

So how about you?

Gracias
  2. Tagati

Tagati tEAM iDIOT

Oddometer:
    Townsville, Capital of Free Australia (NQ)
    your getting about 4x what i got from the ones that came on my bike. no joke
  3. gatling

gatling Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, my rear tire was toast at about 2200 miles. Surprised me, as I am a relatively mild rider. Replaced them with street-oriented Shinkos (a brand I had never heard of before). I have about 2500 miles on them now, with no discernable wear.
  4. holycaveman

holycaveman Long timer

Oddometer:
    My rear stock one was toast in 2500 miles. However, I recently installed another set on with 1000 miles on them, then took them on a 4,000 mile trip out west, and they still have 1000 left on them. That and they will go anywhere you can go off road.

they are not the best choice, but they work well enough. Tire wear is directly proportional to rider imput. Thats why so many people have so many opinions. I myself rode hard on a stock set 2,500 miles, then rode easy on another set 5,000 miles.

That said I only got 3,000 out of the tkc's, and 2500 out of the 606's. But I bet if I did it again and rode easier, I could double the life of those tires.
  5. hayduke357

hayduke357 hayduke357

Oddometer:
    i've got over 9000 miles on mine, the collective said i could not change them. though the back is getting a little squirrly.
  6. Lakerider

Lakerider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    3600 out of stock rear and front still going at 5300. The stocker's are fine for your use but you could improve drastically the road manners if you wanted since you are barely in the dirt IMO.
  7. DBGcooper

DBGcooper Flying Old Fart

Oddometer:
    Only got 1800 on the original rear. 70% dirt riding. I put on Metzler Karoos this spring and have approx. 2 grand on them with very little wear. Great for gravel roads but a little noisy on the highway.
  8. CA Stu

CA Stu Peace and Love

Oddometer:
    I used mine until they wore out (about 3500 rear).

I reckon the reason people don't use them as a replacement tire very much is that they are more expensive than other, better tires.

I think for your use, the Avon Gripster or Distanzia would be a good fit. Good road manners, and they wear like iron.

Thanks
    CA Stu
  9. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK sounds like what I was thinking, thoes gripsters they look nice and what I have read if the like natural replacement for the stock ones specilly considering that I don't do a lot of dirt.

Gracias to everyone

Damasovi
  10. TheChief

TheChief n00b

Oddometer:
    I am running the original tires on my KLR650, 4500 miles so far. There is probably 1,000 miles left on the rear tire. I decided to stick with the OEM tires because they have worked well for me. A new rear tire was $56.00 out the door at the dealer.

Randy Moore
  11. advriderklr

advriderklr Earth Bender

Oddometer:
    Came across this picture of See Thru Tires by Michelin. The Michelin Twheel. Perhaps they will make them for motorcycles too.

See Thru Tire Only_JPEG.JPG

ADVRiderKLR
  12. advriderklr

advriderklr Earth Bender

Oddometer:
    See Thru Diagram_JPEG.JPG
  13. advriderklr

advriderklr Earth Bender

Oddometer:
    See Thru Tires on Veh_JPEG.JPG
  14. advriderklr

advriderklr Earth Bender

Oddometer:
    See Thru Close Up_JPEG.JPG
  15. advriderklr

advriderklr Earth Bender

Oddometer:
    This is a radical new tire design by Michelin. The next generation of tires.

They had a pair at the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Philadelphia</st1:place></st1:City> car show.

These are actual pictures taken in the <st1:State w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">South Carolina</st1:place></st1:State> plant of Michelin.

16. StuckXJ

StuckXJ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There pretty cool, can't wait to try them out. Although I imagine it will be a while before we start seeing motorcycle tweels because leaning and such, they look flat. But I bet if they really are the next gen. of car tires we will see them eventually. But they still are not stock klr tires...
    So, back on point, what do klr's come with btw?
  17. advriderklr

advriderklr Earth Bender

Oddometer:
    I've got the stock tires on my 2007 KLR. I have a little over 1,000 miles, so can't judge yet how many miles I'll get good of them.

ADVRiderKLR
  18. ryanwilliamcantrell

ryanwilliamcantrell Get Out and Ride!!

Oddometer:
    I found them to be next to useless. I ran them off, and put 270's on. I run Gripsters in the summer for long road trips, and 270's in the other 3 seasons. My buddies really like the MT21's in the other 3 seasons.
  19. ryanwilliamcantrell

ryanwilliamcantrell Get Out and Ride!!

Oddometer:
    From what you describe, the Gripsters would serve you well. If I am nice to ine, and get 10000 miles out of a set.
  20. buildit

buildit Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer:
    I have to say I don't ride on road with the KLR as much as some but when I am I like the stock front with the gripster rear. The tourance is also a good 80on/20off tire. Nice thing about the KLR is you can mix and match for better preformace. My first rear stock tire got me about 2500 miles.