KLR-650 tallest/widest windshield?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by GreatWhiteNorth, Feb 1, 2012.

1. GreatWhiteNorth

GreatWhiteNorth Long timer

Oddometer:
    Winterpeg - site of flatness beyond belief
    Am in process of buying a KLR650 with DMC Enduro sidecar. What is the tallest/widest windshield option available? It's a '92 650A model. I see the the Rifle brand which requires an adaptor they claim allows a wider windshield to be installed, but I've found pics on-line which show what appears to be an even larger windscreen... just wondering what brand that'd be, and where'd be best place to source it. I'll attach pic of windshield in question...

Attached Files:

2. GreatWhiteNorth

Oddometer:
    Buhler? Buhler? :D
  3. Tsotsie

Tsotsie Semi-reformed Tsotsi Supporter

Oddometer:
    Any particular reason it has to be the widest and tallest?

There are so many variables, how tall you are, how far you sit from the screen etc etc that what might work for some, does not for others.

From experience, you need one you look over it (not through), yet places the bulk of the air where it creates the least turbulance. I aim to have the bugs hit my helmet above my visor level - and that very scientific measurement seems to also have the least turbulance on my bikes.
  4. GreatWhiteNorth

Oddometer:
    Looking for maximum protection in cold spring and fall weather. I don't mind the idea of changing to a different windshield for summer riding. I ride in very cool temps, and my other bike is a Goldwing (with the biggest windscreen you can get)... let's just say I've come to appreciate how much comfort a fairing can provide when you're whizzing down the road doing 100 kmh at a 6C temps - the windchill effect can be very challenging.
  5. GreatWhiteNorth

Oddometer:
    I did a search and read thru a ton of threads yesterday night on windshield options for the KLR. Although height is frequently mentioned, especially as it relates to helmet buffeting, I didn't really see much discussion on width and overall protection. I did find however that the Clearview windshields claim to be 6" wider overall than stock... this might be best choice for my needs. That Parabellum setup probably offers more protection, but man it looks dorky!
  6. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    I use the Kawi tall (+4") with a laminar lip on top. That really helps with the buffet. In rougher terrain the lip comes off otherwise a tall windshield is hitting you in the face. Taller may not be better.
  7. GreatWhiteNorth

Oddometer:
    Beezer - please bear with me as I don't have my KLR650 yet... and haven't had any buds that have... is the tall Kawi windshield a bunch wider than the stocker? Which windscreen do you think is the one in the pic I posted? I've been thinking of the Laminar Lip too. Paying $85 (+ shipping), and buying a 2nd windshield on top of that too, isn't very cost effective tho... although the ability to take the laminar lip on/off certainly allows flexibility. I hear you about the tall windshield becoming an issue with regards to hitting the face & helmet. Check out the windscreen on my Goldwing (avatar pic) - same issue.
  8. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    the green klr looks like a +8. the taller screens are wider too, but it only helps so much. note how they are cut away to clear the handle bars... a lot of wind comes through there & can't be blocked because you need to the clearance to turn :rofl. I put the plus 4" on mine straight off & it was better... then I built a bracket & mounted the stock one on top & that worked really good but looks like el-stupid. I bought a GS that had a Touratech already on it so that went on the klr & the original windshield went to another project. The gs got a different screen too.

The lip idea works really good & the gap between the two surfaces is part of why. It creates some kind of jet stream effect. C Baily makes a nice windscreen... some are cut out with that NASA scoop shape that is for flow control... had one on my Connie & it worked pretty good.

edit:

[​IMG]
    the red one is mine with the +4 screen (lip removed for climbing), thats my son in the middle with the DRZ.. it has the original KLR screen in a home made fairing. The Barbie bike on the left has an older GS screen

and I'm guess in the "adaptor" is a doubler to shore up the plastic cowl. I had a friend put on one of the first giant C Bailys & it flexed the cowl pretty hard... they had to change the design and gave him a new one (I have the other... out of storage, going to my current project).

what the heck.... yer a hacker so I might as well post this one too...
    [​IMG]
  9. Luke308

Luke308 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  10. RevBill

RevBill Irreverent Reverend

Oddometer:
    .. now THAT is a fairing ..

.. I'm still trying to score one of the first kits when Craig Vetter (finally) finishes developing them and puts them on the market .. with any luck, that will be this summer ..
  11. GreatWhiteNorth

Oddometer:
    Beezer - great feedback. Interesting pix. Love the hack! that Vetter Alcan is amazing. I think if Craig Vetter puts it into limited production he'll be surprized by the demand. I'm a fan of Vetter stuff - had a Windjammer on a Goldwing - stellar protection... better than the Hondaline. There was a minty looking Vetter Quicksilver advertised here locally... I even considered that and replied to the ad, but no response. I'll post another pic of what I'm buying off Jay at DMC sidecars... minus the cargo box. It'll have the standard pedestal seat like you see in the link here: http://www.dmcsidecars.com/sidecars/enduro/

Attached Files:

12. rebel

rebel n00b

Oddometer:
    Tou my want to look at parabellum shields. They come in giant sizes and have different mountings than stock..
  13. Tsotsie

Tsotsie Semi-reformed Tsotsi Supporter

Oddometer:
    With all that extra weight and windage, will you fast enouh to need a screen?
  14. GreatWhiteNorth

Oddometer:
    Rebel - can't handle the looks of the Parabellums. I agree however that insofar as protection goes, they're probably best option available. I want a windshield that attaches to the fairing - am leaning towards a tall Clearview (or maybe Rifle). I picked up a very nice condition tank off a guy locally yesterday (Thanks Richard!) and checked out his... liked what I saw. I think his is identical to the one on the green bike in the pic I posted, and he thinks his is a Clearview. Would also like to try out the laminar lip sometime. Tsotsie - I'm not in a hurry man. Steady state 100km/h works for me on the hwy, and is all I'm looking for - intent is for this to be my "poor man's Ural". I have the highway cruiser (Goldwing) for stepping out - no shortage of oomph with 1500cc and 6 cylinders pushing you there!
  15. ridepjride

ridepjride Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Turbo City (TCI) makes the largest and sturdiest. I bought an even larger one directly from Aeroflow (their supplier) and used the TCI bracket on my '03.
  16. GreatWhiteNorth

Oddometer:
    Is this the setup you're talking about: http://www.madstad.com/s.nl/it.A/id.506/.f I have a used Honda GL1100 windshield and the idea of doing something like that did occur to me too. Certainly another option. While I can appreciate that it probably works very well, like the Parabellum, I think it looks not very pretty (trying to diplomatic here :^) [​IMG]
  17. ridepjride

Oddometer:
    Quote: What is the tallest/widest windshield option available?

You didn't say anything about pretty...
    Here's mine:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  18. GreatWhiteNorth

Oddometer:
    ridepjride - like you say, not pretty, but extremely functional. That actually doesn't look too, too bad (as in I could live with that... maybe). Not cheap tho, eh - what'd it set you back?
  19. ridepjride

Oddometer:
    Pricey? It's all a matter of one's priorities and sensitivity to turbulence. I went through all the shields available (including Parabellum) and ended up with the Aeroflow. If you buy the standard shield/bracket from TCI it runs $200. Bracket separate is $60. Taller shield from Aeroflow was $160 as I recall. You have to arrange that yourself through Aeroflow. They are the supplier for the regular height TCI shields but don't put their sticker on it. Angle adjustment by using nylon spacers and longer nylon bolts purchased at ACE Hardware.

https://tciproductsusa.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=144_161_162&products_id=624
  20. GreatWhiteNorth

Oddometer:
    Maybe I'll source the brackets from them and mount my spare GL1100 windshield. Thnx for that. You definitely have the largest/widest windscreen I've seen on a KLR. Did you find adding the big screen affected the top end (requiring a little more throttle to maintain cruise speed)?