Super Tenere - Top 3 Farkle / Upgrade Recommendations

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by CottonTop, Apr 9, 2013.

1. CottonTop

CottonTop Rider

Oddometer:
    My new bike - I finally got around to pulling the trigger on trading in the K7 V Strom 1000 for a new bike. I test rode this one Saturday and well ended up taking it home. I did kiss the Strom bye; we had been many thousands of miles together and she had never let me down. My initial impressions of this bike:

Plus + Smooth effortless power and plenty of it -- excellent handing, the bike is so well balanced you forget she is a big girl -- shaft drive!!! -- ABS and multi-mode traction control -- tuck in behind the screen and it is a quiet machine -- excellent instrument cluster -- awesome brakes -- good lower body wind protection -- and lots more, I am sure, time will tell.

Neg - stock windscreen seems useless -- the eng. map control is on the right stalk, but the traction mode is a button on the instrument cluster; that seems backwards to me -- where did they get these turn signals? the bike looks like an invading alien creature overall, but the turn indicators look like they came out of a 60s parts bin -- the shift linkage looks suspect to me, kind of sicking out for a limb to grab.

This is by far the nicest bike I have had the pleasure to own... and I have just gotten started with her.

Now, those of you who ride this beast -- give me your top 3 farkle / upgrade recommendations, I would love the input and thanks!

See you in the north GA mountains.

[​IMG]
  2. RocketJohn

RocketJohn Hook 'em Horns! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have only done two so far with a few more on order.

1) Madstad windscreen adjustment bracket - installed, then it started snowing today so no test, but this should give me the adjustment I've been looking for.

2) Flattened the front tilting rider seat by installing flatter pads in the back

3) Yamaha Heated Grips - They arrive on Thursday. I live in Colorado and I am not apologizing for being a pussy.
  3. CottonTop

CottonTop Rider

Oddometer:
    Thanks, RocketJon - I ordered a GIVI touring screen last night. Had one on my Strom and it was great. If that does not do the trick I'll add the Madstad. Had that on the Strom as well.

I noticed the seat tilt issue over the weekend; kept having the urge to squeeze the tank like I was on a sport bike.

And I hope I don't need the heated grips. I am a GA boy and have thin blood.
  4. Snake Doctor

Snake Doctor Crazy Bearded F***er

Oddometer:
    Depends on your needs, mine were long distance travel, and off road

Started out with a stocker

[​IMG]

Madstad adjustable windscreen bracket

[​IMG]

Crash bars and bash plate. Went with Altrider

[​IMG]

Removed the rear seat and rack and made a nice flat space for a duffel with a Wolfman rear and pillion racks

[​IMG]

Lastly panniers. I like the Touratech's Zega Pro, and voila

[​IMG]

The final touches were Heidenau K60's and an Xcel Throttle Lock. Works like a champ.
    mmcfd62 likes this.
  5. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I like the AF-1 ECU reflash. Just makes it feel like a perfectly jetted bike.
    Removes the lower gear neutering.

Anything else is personal taste and use bolt ons.
  6. CottonTop

CottonTop Rider

Oddometer:
    Nice looking rig, Snake Doctor. I like the bar on the MadStad for the GPS - nice add. Like the Wolfman stuff too; good quality gear I have been told.
  7. Snake Doctor

Snake Doctor Crazy Bearded F***er

Oddometer:
    Thanks, just take your time and keep it as minimal as possible while meeting your specific needs. I bought my bike in September 2012, and just finished the farlkledom :1drink. The S10 is a great bike and doesn't need much.
  8. CottonTop

CottonTop Rider

Oddometer:
    Thanks, pluric -- where do you get a mod like this done? I suspect the local Yamaha shop is not the answer. :ear
  9. RocketJohn

Oddometer:
    I like those Wolfman racks. Made in Colorado too!
  10. rush2112_2112

rush2112_2112 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Welcome from another North GA Tenere owner. In fact, I think I may go enjoy this weather this evening and carve up Blood Mountain, or a few Forest Service Roads.

As far as Farkles, I guess it depends on how you are going to use the bike. I went for better seat first because I do some long days and distance. (Russell Day Long). Next was protection for those FS roads (Skid Plate, Crash Bars). Then started doing the other little things like better windscreen, Yamaha Side Wings, Bar Risers, Bags just before Bike Week, and when the tires wore out slapped on a set of K60's. Already had the electonics from a past bike so I was good to go.

Only thing now is I want upgraded suspension for more offroad fun.

Look for a Black Tenere in the hills with a license plate of "RISKI". Usually have my Givi 52l top box on the back.
  11. Anticyclone

Anticyclone Out

Oddometer:
    Essential mods for me:

1) Flatten out the seat. Now with a sheepskin I'm good for 500 mile days.

2) Change the bars. I'm still searching for the best ones for me. The stockers had entirely too much sweep and caused noticeable pain in my wrist. Just ordered some Raptor bend ProTaper's yesterday.

3) ECU re-flash from AF-1. Like Pluric said, the fueling is pretty much flawless now.

Everything else I've added is either mission specific (crash bars, skid plate, different tires, etc...) or something I add to every bike I've owned (hard bags, bigger screen, etc...).
  12. jaumev

jaumev Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very dificult to me... I'm a farkler... :huh
    Very personal, I'm doing most off road so:

ACD bash plate (full frame mounted)
    Crash bars: mine are Touratech but there are lot more
    Fully adjustable suspensions (BM by Mambatec)
    Let me a forth: Dual exhaust by None

.... and some few more... :evil

[​IMG]

Congratulations for your new bike!!
  13. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
  14. RocketJohn

Oddometer:
    What a fantastic Rally Raid edition.. jeebus!

I wish I had the skills to back up such a transformation on my machine!
  15. RocketJohn

Oddometer:
    Did they need to do anything special for your high altitude-ness?
  16. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I spoke with them on the phone about any intake/exhaust mods that they should consider
    adjusting for. I also think they can set it to run on lower octane???

The FI should adjust for any altitude changes so that never came up in the conversation.

Many long threads out there on the pros and cons of the reflash. The only con I am aware
    of is the price. Just under $500. They can always set it back to factory settings if one
    prefer hiccups, lower first three gear performance and light surging.:dunno

The early european claims of incredible power gains and 3rd gear wheelies are very hard
    for me to believe. There is a performance increase. Just not an OMG I can't believe it change.

As I have mentioned it's more of elimination of the gear neutering, very smooth power delivery,
    off idle hiccup is gone, no flat spots on acceleration and fuel delivery feels seamless.
  17. TeneRay

TeneRay Emotional Supporter

Oddometer:
    I guess it depends on your stature.

The stock windscreen in the low position is fine for me but I'm thinking the Yamaha lowered seat would be ideal for me. I can still one-cheek it at a stop on the stock low position.

1. Luggage. I went it Caribous. What's the point of owning this machine without the ability to lug around your stuff?
    2. Auxiliary lighting. I found out from a late night ride that the stock lighting sucks. I have some Hella 500FF's I'm about to install. Hopefully, these fill the voids.
    3. Navigation. I get lost a lot. I just use a Garmin car GPS and enclose it in the RAM waterproof box (You can cradle the GPS in a model-specific mount and install that inside the waterproof case so the unit doesn't rattle around). I then use the RAM EZ strap to mount it to the bars. I purchased an aftermarket hardwire adapter and spliced it into the cigarette lighter. The unit turns on and off automatically so I never have to deal with it.

A fourth would be a throttle lock. Ten minutes into a ride and my right hand goes numb.
  18. RocketJohn

Oddometer:

Interesting. Thank you for that information... I'll have to see what future things I do and do a flash afterwards.
  19. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good suggestion. I went with the Rigid 6 inch light bar. Fits like it's OEM.
    Well protected and fills that fairing void.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=592384&page=185
  20. CottonTop

CottonTop Rider

Oddometer:
    Rocket John, I suspect by your avatar you like all types or racks. And I am with you on that... :evil