The XR250R Thread...

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by sixer, Feb 4, 2009.

1. sixer

sixer I suffer from Ainrofilac

Oddometer:
    The new 4 strokes are sweet machines but I love the slim aircooled dirtbikes. I want to Supermotard a XR600 when I get back on my feet.
  2. AWM

AWM Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:
    Come on,i said i'd try to keep this thread going!!!
    Theres gotta be more XR250 riders out there.I know this thread will never be the DR650 thread,but we'll give it a shot!:thumb
    Bump!
  3. red neckerson

red neckerson Lifetime novice

Oddometer:
    I decided today that I'm going to embark on a new mod for my '86 250R...A little searching revealed that a pair of USD (inverted) forks from a post '89 CR250R or post '90 CR125 (and several other pre 2004 Honda's) is an easy swap onto an XR. So I purchased a set on Ebay and I'll let you know how it goes. The bike's almost due for a top end rebuild so I figure I'll do everything at once. It'll be interesting to see how it handles.
  4. sixer

Oddometer:
    Sounds cool. Make sure to take pictures and post them here. I'm assuming the 96 and newer 250's aren't the same (suspension) as the older model?
  5. Rogue_Ryder

Rogue_Ryder

Oddometer:
    I think Honda is right there with the CRF-X bikes (well the 450 anyway I've seen 2 250s blown up). A guy here has a SuperMoto'd 450x and he rides the piss out of that bike with no issues so far (well okay his kickstand bolt vibrated out on a 90mile slab ride from Baton Rouge to New Orleans).

[​IMG]
  6. AWM

AWM Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:
    Swheeet!:D

I was think'n of the same thing.I'll let you work out the bugs for the rest of us.
  7. tahoe

tahoe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great thread! Planning my first extended tour on the XR, through the Eastern Sierras from Tahoe to Death Valley, and possibly back up through Northern Nevada. Mostly fireroads, some single track, and minimal freeway. :thumb

I'm sure some of you must tour on this bike. I need idears. Lemme see some pics loaded with camping gear, extra fuel, etc. Any other pointers on must have spares, etc. are appreciated.

Gary
  8. sixer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a cool trip. Make sure to share a link or pictures here when your done. I don't have anything to share about ideas for your trip, but I am interested to hear what you find out.
  9. GR0NK

GR0NK Got some screws loose!

Oddometer:
    My buddy had a 280 kit on his '99. (Thumper Racing kit I think) He also had a Hot Cams stage 2 cam and a pumper carb. I want to say the carb was from a mid 80s XL350 but I am not sure. It was very easy to start cold, very hard to start hot but that was likely a carb issue. The bike ran very well though. He had put a set of CR500 USD forks on it and he liked how well it handled trails.

I rode the bike a few times and I was rather unimpressed. But you have to understand that coming off a KTM 525 and then riding almost anything will do that to you. Basically I just held the throttle wide open and rowed through the gears. :freaky

Sean :bmwrider
  10. AWM

AWM Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:

:dood
  11. GR0NK

Oddometer:
    Ya but he was doing the same thing! :eek1

Now he has a KTM 400 EXC...................with a 453 kit. He still pins it and rows through the gears to keep up to me. :lol3

Ironically, we just met the new owner of his old XR. We moved to a new house last fall and we are still meeting our neighbors. We met the girl a few houses down and she said she was into bikes and started describing her XR to us. Not a lot of XR250s with USD forks around here so I knew exactly which bike she was talking about. My wife was all excited because she is always looking for female riders to hang out with. The funny part is that OMR, the old owner, was actually in my garage when we met the new neighbor. I went in and told him that I always knew his XR250 was a girl's bike! :rofl

12. AWM

AWM Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:
    So you posted on the XR250R thread to just tell everyone,a,,,,,,,You think a XR250R is a girls bike and theres nothing faster then your KTM 525???:huh

I think you got us mixed up with the XR650R guys.:D
  13. GR0NK

Oddometer:
    No I posted in response to a question asked. Your smilie suggested that you were less than satisfied with what I wrote. I just wanted to add some comic relief so as not to upset anyone. My anecdote about telling him his bike was a girl's bike was some friendly ribbing in jest. To tell you the truth, I do not think that XR250s are girls bikes. But since we are being honest, yes that XR280 and his 453EXC are slower than my 525.

14. Mario Shi

Mario Shi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    XRs rule, especially 250s. THere is nothing like running with the "big boys" (i.e. CRFs, KTM 525s, etc) and giving them a run for their money on the venerable 250.

Quick question, does anyone know what paint spray can (manufacturer and paint code) works best to recoat/match a 1998 xr subframe? Thanks! Mario
  15. XRsteve

XRsteve Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If your frame is "shasta white" rustoleum white is a pretty good match. I've used it on 1990-1999 bike and you can't see the difference.
    And yeah, there's many times when I've ridden a XR250 and kept up with people on faster bikes. I used to ride with a guy on a XR600 (that was probably faster than a 525) all the time. He could loose me in easy sections, but I'd catch up as soon as we hit the tight single track.
  16. Mario Shi

Mario Shi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  17. sixer

Oddometer:
    I think we can all agree, the XR250R is no speed demon, but I'm sure we all bought/own one because their awesome for what they do.
  18. AWM

AWM Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:
    I didn't buy one to be cool either.:rofl
  19. sixer

Oddometer:
    Ok I ran out of light tonight installing my Cycra Handguards. I took the throttle (tube) apart to clean out where the tube rolls on the handlebar. I was having a hard time getting part 13 back in place. Its a small white plastic "guide" for the two throttle cables. Can I run the cables without this part? If it matters this is a 2003 XR250R. I want to get it back together tomorrow morining so I can ride. :ricky

[​IMG]
  20. tahoe

tahoe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    First day of Spring, snow is finally melting. Just got back from the first real ride of the season... 50 miles through mud and slush. Gotta love the little XR. Enjoy...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Don't harrass me about the beer :evil. I'm 5 minutes of dirt trails from home. Always bring one along for the end of a great ride:beer