Getting out of a speeding ticket.

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by acupuncture4u, Oct 15, 2004.

1. acupuncture4u

acupuncture4u Freedom by knobbies

Oddometer:
    Ok, I know this isn't a ride report so I'll let the moderators decide where exactly this post should go.

Anyway got another ticket speeding on I-25 yesterday, 84mph in a 55. 6 point violation. I was doing so well with the BMW, hadn't gotten a ticket in over a year. (that's good for me) The bike cop showed no love to a fellow biker.

Anyway was curious as to the techniques used to get out of a speeding ticket. Attorney, bribes, DA. What have you done to reduce your ticket and fines or completely erase the ticket.

I had a 12 point violation 2 years ago where I went to court and pled not guilty. Upon meeting with the DA, we talked about Acupuncture and Chinese Medicine and he reduced the ticket to a 3 point violation with a driving class.

Is it worth it to plead not guilty again and possibly take the maximum points if I don't get along with the Greenwood Village DA? Or should I take probably a 4 point violation if I plead guilty and just bite the bullet.

Your thoughts?
  2. Dukegirl

Dukegirl .

Oddometer:
    You are wise to succumb to our powers without a fight. :evil
  3. YZFRider

YZFRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here in Kansas, in some jurisdictions you can pay double the fine to keep it off you record. Goes in the books as a non-moving violation. If your rich, you can buy your way out of it! What a country!!! :evil

'Course when you own a sportbike and are paying quadruple premiums anyway - it is well worth it.

Not sure if this works in CO - and it probably depends on the severity of the original violation.
  4. TorqueWrench

TorqueWrench Obsolete and Ugly

Oddometer:
    About a year ago, I found myself in a similar situation. A good friend and riding buddy of mine, who happens to be a retired Florida cop, suggested that I appear in court, plead guilty, and request a withholding of adjudication ( a ruling without judgement). By doing this, they get their revenue and you get no points on your record. Because I couldn't afford to take a day off from work, I took this one step beyond by writing the judge a letter. I mailed them a check and the letter explaining that I was pleading no contest against the charge. I also emphasized that the infraction had been accidental and would he please withhold adjudication. To my amazement, it worked. They cashed my check and nothing ever showed up on my license. It can't hurt to try. :thumb
  5. BUBB

BUBB lynch not Zimmerman

Oddometer:
    1.) Don't try to bribe anyone.
    2.) Get a lawyer who works in the jurisdiction.
  6. Vance

Vance On my meds...

Oddometer:
    I always try real hard to get out of them before they write um.

I have used this way successfully (seriously):

I ask if I can dismount and make believe that I have horrible diarea (however you spell it) and ask if I can run into the bushes to take a dump and apologize for speeding telling the officer that I was just trying to get to the next offramp to find a bathroom and ask him for toilet paper or something to wipe my ass with. (that has worked twice, both times the cop was laughing his ass off)

Good luck after the fact...
  7. AntWare

AntWare Lost In Translation

Oddometer:
    If ya wants to dance, ya's got to pay the band :wink:
  8. porterfish

porterfish Debaser

Oddometer:
    I think Greenwood V cops live for traffic court( and the ones I've met are greenhorned aholes who are saving the world from vicious speeders as yourself and flashers at the bally's on Co blvd). Good lord man they only have about a mile of i-25 in their jurisdicition, get council and be prepared to pay, sorry.

signed,
    personally furious with CO DMV.
  9. ghostryder

ghostryder Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Several questions, Did he tag you with radar or laser? Look on the ticket and it should tell you. Were you in traffic or riding alone? Where was he sitting, and where was the last posted speed limit sign?

Laws differ from state to state but with a little more info I could possibly offer some options.
  10. willbkari2

willbkari2 No Adventure to big!

Oddometer:
    California has the benefit of traffic school to prevent insurance companies and motor vehicles counting this against you. Used to be you could go to school every six months, now I believe its up to two years.

Research the citation, make sure all is in order and then do the dance in court.

Be prepared, cause they will be! Sometimes! :thumb
  11. Dingo Joe

Dingo Joe Frick You...

Oddometer:
    I'd take what Porterfish said to heart. I've heard this about the Greenwood cops before. It was always an area that I watched my speeds a bit closer. Used to live next to Greeenwood on Cherry Creek dr...
  12. CMWoody

CMWoody Banned

Oddometer:
    "A friend of mine" ordered a yellowbox speedometer calibrator and, ahem, adjusted it to read considerably low. Went to a shop that checks the speedo on a dyno like device and writes a letter for court. Gave this to the attorney, who was purported to be "the guy" in traffic court, and viola, no more ticky. Still use the yellow box on my RS as BMW speedos seem to read 5-10mph higher. Good Luck!
  13. Dysco

Dysco Distracted

Oddometer:
    I've been popped 3 times by GV cops. Twice without radar but traveling at a REALLY good pace (once racing). Both times I didn't know the cop was behind me for at least a mile while he was catching up- I wasn't ticketed but I was sternly lectured. The third time I was busting traffic down Yosemite past a scooter pig with a radar gun. 67 in a 35. He told me not to do anything and I'd get a reduction in the mail. I think it went from 8(?) points to 4 without ever going to court.

I take my personal experiences to mean that they DO NOT issue tickets without sufficient proof to nail your ass in traffic court. If were you I'd call the number on the ticket and ask if they're going to send you a reduction. If they are, just wait and decide if that's good enough or get a lawyer but I'm not sure how much it will help. I don't know anyone who's had to deal with GV via a lawyer.
  14. acupuncture4u

Oddometer:

Ticket does not say what type radar or laser, I was in lots of traffic passing into the fast left lane. He was underneath a bridge.

Thanks for all the reply's several people have liked the diarrhea idea, don't know if I would be ballsy enough to try it.
  15. ghostryder

ghostryder Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    O-Kay here it goes....Traffic laws vary from state to state but Ill give you some suggestions. On the tiocket somewhere it should say If it was laser or radar, If it was radar, and you decide to go to court and fight it use these...Was the radar calibrated that day, and If so you want to see the log book. Was the radar certified that year, again you want to see it. Was the officer certified, again you want to see his cert. What caused him to spot you, and what side of the road was he on, and were you on. If there was traffic how did he get a clear lock on you, and how did he get a tracking history?

Now if it was laser, many of the same questions regarding certs etc, however it is more critical that the laser was tested that day. a lot less room for error with a laser. In other words it has to be calibrated for two distances the day it is used, and the officer should keep a log of it. Now that is not to say that he just doesnt jot it down in a book. If he did use laser though it will be a bit tougher to argue because it is taget specific. However with laser the weather can be a factor as well. Cloudy, rainy etc.
    Then there is the third option, which is just wait and see if there is a reduction, or you can go and see if the DA will knock it dow a bit, or you could go through and ask the officer all the questions yourself. I cant see spending the chedder on a lawyer unless your license is on the line.
    Good luck and let us know how it goes.
  16. TresMon

TresMon TresMon aka Cpt. Insanimo

Oddometer:
    im a serious speeder. I average 2-3 tickets a years since i was 16. Honestly, I go to court on most of my tickets and believe it or not, I have beaten or Got reduced to lesser more tickets than i have lost. Thats in east Tn. Though.
    Cpt. Insanimo
  17. acupuncture4u

Oddometer:

So what do you say in court???
  18. AdvSkier

AdvSkier Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I try to get out of the ticket before the officer writes it. Once he's written it, things get a lot more complicated. The advice about the laser and radar are good, but even with those things working for you, lots of judges will go with the police.
    In Utah we have traffic school as an option. Also, we can meet with the prosecutor and ask for a "plea in abayance". The plea works like this.... you ask if you can pay the fine, and have the ticket stay off your record as long as you don't get another ticket in an agreed amount of time.
    Depending on the city you get the ticket, prosecutors might want a decent reason for granting that.
  19. Chipper

Chipper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As a reformed( :lol3 ) speeder. Find an attorney who works with the court. He will usually know all DA's & judges involved. Mine was a good friend who used to work for DA's office when younger. Many times can agree to pay fine and will waive points. Have used many times in Ohio, (not lately, I'm reformed) with 100% success.
  20. Thinc2

Thinc2 Paciugo

Oddometer:
    I always wonder if it isn't risky to try and fight a ticket unless you really know what you're doing.

Let's say you challenge them and ask for records and it turns out the gun was calibrated and logged. Now what - will they ding you even harder because you tried to make it tough on them? i think that's a risky proposition.

Unless my license was in danger or my insurance was going to take a big jump, i would just pay the penalty and go for the minimum points (school whatever).

If I was going to go to court, i would try to explain that:

a) I'm generally a safe rider and my record shows this - this was a one time lapse in judgement,

b) I am very safety conscious - as evidenced by the fact that rather than riding a sport bike, i ride a touring bike with ABS.

c) I know motorcycling is dangerous, which is why I'm one of the few people on a bike wearing a helmet and full gear. This really was a one time transgression.

d) You have unique skill that can be applied to public service (acupuncture) - maybe suggest doing increased social service in exchange for no points on your license.

e) If you've recently taken a motorcycle (MSF) course, i would mention that. If not, perhaps another thing to volunteer for.

f) if none of that works, start babbling incoherently (and report back to this list with the result :)