Jarbige NV in Oct?

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by visualizerent, Sep 17, 2013.

1. visualizerent

visualizerent Raconteur

Oddometer:
    Anyone interested in, or already planning on exploring around Jarbidge, Owhyee wilderness and/or the Ruby Mtns in Oct?

I have a bunch of time off in the 1st 1/2 of Oct. and would like to truck the KTM 350EXC-F out to Elko/Wildhorse for some adventuring.

Camp off bike if ain't too friggin' cold, and/or get rooms if avail.
    [​IMG]
    Juan
    Nevada City, CA
    Lassen N.F. High Lakes 2 day moto campout
    6 day, 1100 mile High Rock Canyon Adventure
    KTM 350 EXC-F 300 mile range
  2. Sandbogg

Sandbogg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am interested, let me know when you get your dates set. :-)

XR650L
  3. visualizerent

visualizerent Raconteur

Oddometer:
    OK! will do...what's your weapon of choice for such an adventure?

Juan
    KTM 350 EXC-F
  4. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    I might be interested,never been out in that part of Nevada.
  5. Pops of the desert

Pops of the desert Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You will be riding in the heaviest hunted portion of NV in the middle of deer and elk season. :eek1
  6. visualizerent

visualizerent Raconteur

Oddometer:
    Yea, I' know...that's the only time off I have to get out there.

Orange Elk?

It would make a hell of a story....BLAMMO "motorcyclist mistaken for game animal..."

rooms may be an issue and too noisy. I'm planning on camping if it ain't too cold.
    JB
  7. visualizerent

visualizerent Raconteur

Oddometer:
    I spoke with folks from the Outdoor Inn, plenty of rooms avail he first 1/2 of Oct. Not too many hunters yet.

Sandbog reports from High Rock, cooler temps and some snow at higher elevations. We have a series of lows passing thru the area now, then should dry out and warm up a bit. Perfect for fall colors.
    [​IMG]

I'm thinkin' trailer the bike out and set up a basecamp at Wildhorse Resv, (if not too stinky from low water level fish kill- anyone have a report?)Then , do big loops from there, camp off bike, or return to base camp, and/or spend at least one night at the Outdoor Inn.

Head out around Monday 7 Oct? (I have 'till the 17th off)

I also want to move basecamp to the Rubies (Harrison Pass?) for some exploring, and later, Spencer hot Springs (Diana's Punch bowl ect).

Juan
    "Flexibility is the key to indecision"
    Nevada City, CA.
    KTM 350 EXC-F
  8. renogeorge

renogeorge Let's ride!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    It has cooled off. High country got some snow last weekend. Supposed to warm back up this weekend--70's. If you want to improve your chances of somewhat warmer weather, you might move south. You could camp out of Belmont or Middlegate. Tonopah would also be an option if you want to motel it.

I have hunted deer out there for years. Lots of country, hunters are spread way out. I wouldn't sweat that part of it too much. Finding rooms in Austin, Eureka could be an issue. But I'm not even sure of that.
  9. Hobbes950

Hobbes950 Darth Kitten

Oddometer:
    Just got back from Jarbidge. Was real nice weather while we were there on Monday. Cold stuff was coming, but we timed it just right. If you have alternate plans and could move your schedule according to the weather, it should work out nice. Colors were just starting to pop. We were in the Santa Rosa range Sunday. It rained all night and the mountain tops got dusted, but daytime temps were nice and we were snug in our tent by the time the rain began.
  10. visualizerent

visualizerent Raconteur

Oddometer:
    Heading to Jarbige today, plenty of rooms at Outdoor Inn...too cold to camp....snow dusting yesterday. Fall colors Are fantastic!. 116 mile loop Saturday Paradise Valley, with hot tub soak. Details later.
    Phone posting difficulties.
    Jb
  11. Hobbes950

Hobbes950 Darth Kitten

Oddometer:
    Woot!
  12. visualizerent

visualizerent Raconteur

Oddometer:
    Spent the night in Winnemucca, trailered the bike to Paradise Valley, dropped wife and kids here at the Mercantile with some other local kids. They immediately became part of the community.

[​IMG]

The old Micca House around the corner. Paradise valley NV.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Part Ghost Town, part ranching town, like a lot of Nevada

[​IMG]
    Abundant Fall colors exploring some canyons just West of Paradise Valley
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then Blasted North up the scenic Hinkey Summit...
    [​IMG]
    Looking South back to Paradise Valley and Winnemucca.
    (All shots from HTC Cell phone, soon I'll get a real camera...)

Up to Granite Mtn. just west of Hinkey Pass
    [​IMG]

Then off (East) to Mahogany Pass...
    [​IMG]
    Near Lye Creek Campground

Looking West back towards Granite Mtn. Near Mahogany Pass (Calico Mtns)
    [​IMG]

Then Greeley Crossing Rd back to Paradise Valley...
    [​IMG]
    ..where the KTM 350 EXC-F w/ 13/48 trail gearing land speed record was set...80 mph...for many miles...melting the turn signals!
    [​IMG]

Had to cool my jets and monkey butt in the'Blossom Pot' Hot Spring near Paradise Valley on the Humbolt River.
    [​IMG]
    Too hot here, need to find the tub....
    [​IMG]
    Algae Blooms="Blossom Pot" name. Crystal clear deep hot water.

Here it is...[​IMG] THE DRILL-Leave hot water pipe out of tub! Only add hot water as required, otherwise it's much to0 hot.....NICE!
    Back to family and new friends in Paradise Valley...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and the Sat night Prime Rib Special! sorry too hungry to think of a pic...

Here's a Map of the Loop
    https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=215646719774791661952.0004e9418ac28892e3cb1&msa=0

And a short Narrated Video of this loop.
    <EMBED type=application/x-shockwave-flash height=315 width=420 src=//www.youtube.com/v/s4QZ9cq_oJ0?hl=en_US&version=3&rel=0 allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></EMBED>

120 mile loop +/-
    More soon, still on the road...
    Juan
    Nevada City, CA.
  13. Sandbogg

Sandbogg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks beautiful! I cant wait to get out that way.

Thanks for the awesome report, I look forward to more. :-)
  14. visualizerent

visualizerent Raconteur

Oddometer:
    Loaded up and headed out to reposition from Winnemucca to Elko. Cool and rainy. Headed up (in the heated truck with the family) to Lamoille Canyon in the Ruby Mountains just south of Elko to catch the first snowfall of the season at sunset-magical!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Headed back into Elko for a large Basque dinner...
    [​IMG]
    Depart for Jarbidge in the AM
  15. auldublinr

auldublinr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting.only recently I figured out all this great adventure up that way!!!! Just bought Nevada gazetteer so now I got the gimp on me to get up there. Next spring sounds good right?
    Keep up the good work and nice bike .:freaky
  16. visualizerent

visualizerent Raconteur

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    The road from Elko to Jarbidge is a fun adventure in itself. 104 miles total, 60+ miles of easy dirt with lotsa washboard this time of year. Trailering the bike, the washboard shook the straps off so I just unloaded the bike and rode while Jeni drove.:wings

Had a nice conversation with a 3rd generation Basque rancher F. Goicoechea at his place about the road. The county (Elko) grades the road once a year in the summer. By Oct. the hunting traffic has it all washboarded out, ruins his trucks driving on it. It's illegal for him to grade it himself.

I asked, "With the price of gas, the vast distances involved here, and the road condition...how can ranching be profitable?"
    "It's not!" was his short reply.

The Basque come from North end of Spain in the Pyrenees mountains near France's border and are tough mountain people. They also have their own unique language unlike Spanish or French. Jeni explains all this to me as we travel as she grew up in Spain herself, and can easily pronounce the names of all the Basque named ranches we pass.

Yea, June's a great month to visit Nevada, but for this one particular route to Jarbidge, you need to wait till after July 4th. 20' snow drifts near the passes generally block this route until plowed around the 4th. Call the Outdoor Inn at Jarbidge for an update at (775) 488-2311.
    For year around access, you can always get to Jarbidge from the North via Rodgerson Idaho, Murphy Hot Springs route (only 20 miles of dirt).
    [​IMG]
    ADOBE RANCH

Take 225 North (paved) over Adobe summit towards Wild Horse reservoir for 55 miles to 746 (rt-dirt) then 19 miles to Charleston Res.

[​IMG]
    DINNER STATION (225)

[​IMG]
    RANCHO GRANDE Independence Mtns behind.

[​IMG]
    P. ELIA RANCH

From Charleston Res proceed 30 miles North on 748 (easy dirt) to Jarbidge and enjoy the sights!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    B. PRUNTY RANCH

[​IMG]
    "BLOW UP YER T.V.
    THROW AWAY YER PAPER
    MOVE TO THE COUNTRY
    BUILD YOU A HOME..." J. PRINE- SPANISH PIPEDREAM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPwq0YoOy4g

And that's just what we did with the kids on this vacation, no electronics at all. Just talk, sing, or read to while away the hours-fantastic!

[​IMG]
    "ALL MY PROFITS WENT BACK INTO RANCH IMPROVEMENTS..."

[​IMG]
    LOG JOINERY

[​IMG]
    Pretty soon, as you head up the grade the Fall Color Show begins with earnest...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Until it just takes your breath away!
    [​IMG]
    COPPER BASIN, NEAR COON CREEK SUMMIT 8442'

[​IMG]
    NEAR BEAR CREEK SUMMIT-8488'

Then drop 2000' down into the Jarbidge Canyon the last 6 miles into Jarbidge.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    ...And tell Nancy (Nana) all about your adventure at the Outdoor Inn!
  17. nsfw

nsfw Death Valley Noobs Rally Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    awesome pics and riding. i'll remember this one, possibly next year can check the place out.

nice 350, i know....:evil

i saw one just like it at gold point nv last weekend.
  18. Archery21

Archery21 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You timed this right, Viz. Great fall colors. A few questions. Are all the roads good enough for an overloaded Klr 650? How much are the rooms in Jarbidge? And finally what rear tire are you running and why that over a full knobby?
    Thanks, Dwight
  19. visualizerent

visualizerent Raconteur

Oddometer:
    Good questions Dwight,...The road I described into and out of Jarbidge is perfect for an overloaded KLR! HOWEVER, I would NOT advise adventuring off the beaten path on an overloaded KLR 650(I own one too), the plentiful jeep trails in the area quickly turn steep, loose, and very rocky. Jarbidge is located down a steep canyon @ 6000' surrounded by 10,000' mountains less than 2 miles away.
    [​IMG]
    "JUST STAY ON THE BLUE LINE AND YOU'LL BE FINE..."
    I'll show more of these conditions beyond the blue line in the next installment.

The Outdoor Inn administers all the rooms, meals, and drinking (775) 488-2311
    The 'Hotel' with bathrooms in each room is $65/ night and is located right next to the Outdoor Inn
    The 'Barn' located 1/4 mile south (where we stayed) is $35/ night with bathrooms down the hall. We had the Barn all to ourselves and it was great, it could get noisy with multiple guests.
    [​IMG]
    THE BARN HOTEL, JARBIDGE NV
    Both places are warm, clean and well worth the price as they are the only game within 110 miles.

Loads of camping around town when it's warmer. I froze a 5 gal. jug of water solid one night. Nice during the day.

The rear meat is a Pirelli MT43 'trials' tire and a popular choice for adventure riding. They don't tear up the trails like a knobbie (required on some designated singletracks), ride and wear well on asphalt, and perform great in rocky conditions when deflated to 9-12 psi.

Juan
    Nevada City
    KTM 350 EXC-F
    KTM 200
    KLR 650
    R1150RT
  20. Archery21

Archery21 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Juan. Great RR! Beautiful pics.