To cush or not to cush; that, is the question.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Doghouse_Riley, Sep 6, 2007.

1. Doghouse_Riley

Doghouse_Riley Wannabe Adventure Tourer

Oddometer:
    How damaging is it to ride a thumper on the street without a rear wheel cush type hub?
  2. WaterWheel

WaterWheel Multi Talentless

Oddometer:
    Like a ninety year old's underwear - Depends.

It depends on how you shift.
    It depends on what tires you have.
    It depends on who you ask.

I have one my set of street rims with Avons. My dirt rims do not.

I researched it and decided to spend the extra money for the cush. Big thumpers generate a lot of power and can create a lot of shock to the drivetrain.

Peace of mind if nothing else.
  3. Bronco638

Bronco638 Nobody Home

Oddometer:
    Interestingly, the early Suzuki DR350S models had cush drive but the later ones do not. I could not notice any difference between my wife's 1993 DR250SE (w/cush) and my '99 DR350SE (w/o). It's probably due to the lack of drivetrain "shock" that the 250/350 engines generate. Most likely, it's different for the DR650 (and other bigger engined Thumpers).
  4. NTwind83

NTwind83 n00b

Oddometer:
    I read about the KTM's putting cush drive hubs into the 450's and 525 but you never see much mention about it on other "dirt bikes". Do the XR Hondas like the big 650R have them or can you get ones to fit em?
  5. ysr612

ysr612 Long timer

Oddometer:
    drz 400S does not have a cush. when the R1's came out they ate their cushes so fast that people were machining replacements out of Al.

the rs 125 honda says change theirs after every race almost.
  6. dirtypumpkin

dirtypumpkin "Monster Truck Bike"

Oddometer:
    Flogged my cushless Green DRZ for many street miles, with slicks & knobs, no issues.:freaky
  7. Stu

Stu Buffo Maximus

Oddometer:
    I've got my DS wheel & tire set with a cush rear hub. My dirt wheels and dirt tires do not.

After all I read and having some concern about transmission needle bearings and shock loads on hard surface roads I purchased the LC4 2002~2005 cush hub and backing plate to fit my RFS KTM (2007 525 EXC). (Other year LC4 wheels don't fit the RFS swingarm.) I don't think I would have one if I would have gotten the 450. Shifting is easier, missed shifts are somewhat less, finding neutral is easier and hard shifts on the street don't worry me. Some have commented that backing it into a corner with a cush hub makes feel squirrelly, but I have not noticed that.

Woody's Wheel Works (he is an ADVRider member and knows his stuff so support him!) makes cush hubs as well and can set your hot rod Honda up. If you plan on keeping the bike and putting a lot of street miles on it (vacations, etc.) I think it is worth the dough.

Stu
  8. flux_capacitor

flux_capacitor I know a shortcut!

Oddometer:
    This again? :lol3

Simple fact: On the KTM 450's and 525's there has never been one firsthand reported failure of a transmission or any other component related to not having a cush hub. If you know of one, please post it up but I have done WAY TOO MUCH research on this and never encountered a single one.

Shift easy on the street, watch the engine braking, run knobs, you'll be fine. Running slicks? Get the cush hub setup.