Ktm 525 To 520

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by endurists, Feb 20, 2010.

1. endurists

endurists Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello!

Is KTM 525 EXC exhaust pipe interchangable to 520 double pipe? Are the heads similar 520 and 525 @ exhaust side?
  2. CodyY

CodyY ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer:
    Yes. 520/525 have no engine differences. just a model designation
  3. Crit Rat

Crit Rat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It will work but you will need to use the whole 520 system. I'm pretty sure there is a difference in how the midpipe fits to the can between the two systems.

FYI - I've heard the dual header setup of the early RFS bikes promoted better low end torque and also better mid-range. Top end is better on the later single pipe styles.
  4. GR0NK

GR0NK Got some screws loose!

Oddometer:
    The dual-pipe exhaust just runs better all around but the single pipe breathes better on top. On a 525 you wouldn't really notice it much.

Sean :bmwrider
  5. riverside

riverside Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep like they all said. I have done the swap and if I recall the head pipe mount on the cylinder is different between the two. Also the tab above the foot peg is in a different place. I ended up cutting the tab out and letting the newer single head pipe version float when being used on an '02 frame. It wasn't right but never caused me problems at all. I did too many mods at once to give my personal seat of the pants opinion. My stuff had compression increase and small port work at the same time. I sure can say that otherwise stock RFS motor sure ran good!

Michael
  6. endurists

endurists Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks You all!

Could You explain more about "small port work" and will there be really noticable benefits if I will do theese changes? 1. Dual exhaust from 520 and 2. "small ports"