Sunday Day Trips in Northwest New Mexico

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by papa_j, Mar 31, 2011.

1. papa_j

papa_j Long timer

Oddometer:
    Farmington, New Mexico (Four Corners Area)
    Riders in the four corners area unite!

I have recently moved back to Farmington, New Mexico and I am looking to join a group of riders that enjoy trail riding through the Glade/Chokecherry Canyon. I am hoping to ride at least a couple of hours each Sunday with the possibility for longer (full day) rides around southern Colorado. I would also like to use GPS to document fun trails through the Glade and help promote riding in the Four Corners Area. Please let me know if any group like this exists or if there is a more appropriate place for this post. ​

Thanks ​
  2. ballistic_ken

ballistic_ken Helmet hair victim.

Oddometer:
    Welcome Papa J,

I ain't riding yet but some of the locals should post up soon. I'm in Bloomfield.

As soon as my hand heals up a bit more I'll be joining everyone.

This is a great forum, take some time and fill out your profile. Look foreward to riding with you.
    Cigar Mike likes this.
  3. merickk

merickk Living Folk Tale

Oddometer:
    more better stuff than the Glade area around here... :deal

Lot of DS rides up to CO also happen.
  4. ballistic_ken

Oddometer:
    Signed,

The gimp squad, NW NM Chapter.:kurt
  5. merickk

merickk Living Folk Tale

Oddometer:
    yaknow I imagine I could make some room in my shop for a quad :deal

:poser
  6. papa_j

papa_j Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is there a way from Farmington to Durango using all dirt roads/trails?
  7. merickk

merickk Living Folk Tale

Oddometer:

yea, but you DONT wanna get caught :deal
  8. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Along these lines. Do any locals know where you can and cannot go using the Glade road. I have taken it a couple of times lately and found a couple of gates and old no trespassing signs. We always just go around the gates and go on our way. Seems to be quite a few gas/oil filed workers out there who don't bother us.

BTW there is a fun road running from the Glade over to 550 north of Aztec. You can pick up another fun road a few hundred yards south that goes to about the Colorado border. But there it buts up against Indian land and we haven't gone thru. We usually take it back south to near Navajo Lake dam. I would think that somehow you could get over to the paved road that runs up the West side of Navajo Lake and goes to Ignacio.
  9. FatChance

FatChance Road Captain

Oddometer:
    From just north of where the La Plata highway crosses the Co/NM line, you can take the Long Hollow dirt road through the Ute land to several miles from Durango.
  10. merickk

merickk Living Folk Tale

Oddometer:
    Most locals I know don't ride in the glade that often. :dunno
  11. papa_j

papa_j Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have wondered that also. If you go straight down the glade road you run into a closed yellow fence (documented in my four picture ride report). You can take the double track around the gate to the right (looking north) but that ends at a fence that has been stomped down. The trail past the stomped down fence looks well traveled. If you continue on the double track you eventually cross the mountain bike trail, Kinsey's Ridge Trail. If you turn off the Glade earlier and head west you will eventually hit a trail that parallels the high voltage wires. This leads back to area blocked by the fence. You do have to cross fences but there are no gates. If you continue you will pop out on the other side of the fence without having to open a gate. I don't know. If you look at the BLM map it is listed as private property.
  12. papa_j

papa_j Long timer

Oddometer:
    Where is the sweet stuff?
  13. merickk

merickk Living Folk Tale

Oddometer:
    Kansas :deal
    norton(kel) likes this.
  14. zeroblah

zeroblah Snot nosed kid

Oddometer:
    Chokecherry would be great if you had a trials bike, but other than that, not that fun. Ive been working on some trails by highway 173 (navajo dam rd) in aztec, the motocross track is out there so there are a ton of trails. ive already worked out a 18 mile loop that is really fun, and worked my way into colorado almost to ignacio. Also i have been trying to work with dave at atv world on trying to get some guys together to go riding. Ive seen a bunch of trails south side of bloomfield, and largo canyon area. send me a pm if you have any other ideas, would love to find someone to ride with
  15. Brainless_1

Brainless_1 Loose Nut!

Oddometer:
    I am able to ride again and I have been every weekend usually up around Pinion mesa area,however this weekend I wont be able to go out.
  16. Brainless_1

Brainless_1 Loose Nut!

Oddometer:
    That fence is Montoyas grazing area and supposedly there are cameras that take pics of you if you get in his fence.
  17. Brainless_1

Brainless_1 Loose Nut!

Oddometer:
    I myself wouldnt get anywhere near Ute land !

I even got suprised by JJ the BLM ranger this past weekend dont have any idea where he had been but I am still confused by the direction he came from. I am legal on all my machines so no big deal but he did tell me that the 1/4 area out northeast of Farmington lake has now been outlawed and the game wardens have been out there writing some hefty tickets:eek1
  18. merickk

merickk Living Folk Tale

Oddometer:
    :scratch when did this shit happen?
  19. DADODIRT

DADODIRT Gettin' older Supporter

Oddometer:
    papa j-
    I've been exploring the Glade Park area the past couple weekends. Won't be going this weekend. Sunday mornings sound good, though.
    Maybe the 17th?
  20. ballistic_ken

Oddometer:
    + 1. Isn't that where we were riding last weekend? There were 5+ other rides out there plus our 3.:ear