calling all knowledgeable 2smokers, brace your self .. 3d ignition questions!

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by Reino, May 24, 2012.

1. Reino

Reino Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is the closest thing to an electronic carb found on early gm's.
  2. Twin-shocker

Twin-shocker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Unless you are one day riding at sea level and the next at 8000ft above, there is no real need for major changes to a properly set up bike. However its worth bearing in mind manufacturers spend an awful lot of time and money developing various OE induction and ignition parts, so dont be too sure you will easily be able to do better.
  3. Reino

Reino Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The thing is the engineer may develop a system very close to perfection, but it is untimely the accountant that tells him what he can and can not use.
  4. Reino

Reino Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have also looked into developing an electronic carb with ecu controlled venturis. basically it would function as a normal efi system just without a pump. But that route is even more expensive than what i am planing.

I like that intelajet device if it adjusts from 0 to 100% throttle basically giving you a carb that mimics efi but i would have to buy a reprogramming ecu as well.
  5. Twin-shocker

Twin-shocker Long timer

Oddometer:
    As you seem intent on spending $4-5k on replacing your carb and stock ignition systems, then I would be very interested to know in what areas you feel the stock parts are lacking?
  6. Reino

Reino Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i could improve on throttle resonce alone with an 3d ignition map not to mention having perfect jetting all the time and more low down torque without sacrificing high rpm power.
  7. Twin-shocker

Twin-shocker Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wonder have you ridden EFI 2T modified bikes in the past, or are you relying on advertising blurb (95% nonsense mostly) and posts on forums which suggest your $4-5k is going to be well spent?
  8. Reino

Reino Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That is the conclusion i came up with on my own and NO i have not riden a efi 2t, very few people have. If jou can point me to a system that works just as good at maintaing perfect jetting all the time, fine i will drop the efi project.

But i doudt that you can, because there is no such system. I almost shat my self when low buget mentiond intelajet, because it would mean i can drop efi. But if does nothing in the first 1/3 throttle.

So i chalange you, show me a alternative.
  9. Twin-shocker

Twin-shocker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Unless you are riding your bike from sea level to elevations above 3000ft pretty much every day, is there a real need to spend at least $4-5K to be able to do this without needing to spend maybe 30 minutes changing jets?
  10. Reino

Reino Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    and what about temp changes and humidity, you are missing the point. I have tried to explain it.

And i am not going to spend 5000usd on my dyno time. I know the dyno owner.

I also see a trend that you think that the manufactures are the be all and the end all of bike technology. Than why do you send your suspension to the local suspension shop for upgrades, why do you send your engine to a tuner, why would you send your carb for oval boring.

Tm(developed not sold), ossa (enduro bike), many snowmobile's and jetskis use efi.

What is it that you want to know?
    Do you want my motovation for doing this. If that is the question, i have answerd this before.
  11. Twin-shocker

Twin-shocker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Does your dyno friend have specific experience of setting up home built 2T EFI systems? If not can he afford to spend many hours/days working for you at a reduced rate?

In terms of changes related to atmo and temperature, these are generally simply a matter of adjusting the pilot air circuit, which at most take a few minutes.

The only 2T EFI bike currently on the market seems to be the Ossa trials machine, and to be honest it doesnt run that much better than a bike with properly set up carb, and I would suggest you have a ride on one before committing a fair amount of money and time to a project which ultimately might disappoint you.
  12. Reino

Reino Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    so once again, suggest me an alternative system that does what i want it to do.
  13. Twin-shocker

Twin-shocker Long timer

Oddometer:
    What I would suggest to you before you go ahead and spend quite a large sum of money, is to arrange to have a ride on an EFI Ossa trials, and compare it back to back with a properly set up bike fitted with a carb, which will give you a very good idea as to whether spending your money is going to be worth it or not.
  14. Reino

Reino Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There are no ossa bikes in my country. No body rides trail bikes in my country.
  15. Reino

Reino Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll tell you what i will try things like the intelajet and other products until i have my Beng degree and if i still want to do efi 2t I will be able to comfortably afford it.
  16. Twin-shocker

Twin-shocker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Shame you are unable to try an Ossa.............the difference really isnt worth $3-4k.
  17. Reino

Reino Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    we also dont have suspension tuners and engine tuners. If you want any of that type of stuff done, you do it yourself. There are two people i know of with revalved suspention and they did it them self.

The shipping would cost me just as much as the service to get things like dick carb taper bore done.

It sucks but i love the place.
  18. Twin-shocker

Twin-shocker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Doing it yourself very often works out better than paying a so called professional a lot of money for a hack job, so is well worth a try for anyone who is confident of their workmanship.
  19. Reino

Reino Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    for my up and coming suspension rebuild i am upgrading to skf seals, 170mm oil hole mod and a set of springs(0.46 or0.48).

New spring for the back as well.

During the engone rebuild i will be cleaning up casting imperfections, reducing crankcase volume, checking my squash and pv max hight. Oo and macthing the ports to the case.
  20. 2trally

2trally Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Twin Shocker has some good points but I say do it anyways. I'm planning on building a serious 2 stroke adv. bike and eventually I want to direct inject it just to get good mileage. I've been doing some research and it seems possible if not easy. I need to learn a lot more about 2 stroke tuning before I can be reasonably sure it is within my abilities. It will be a lot of work but it would be worth it. Even if others don't think so.