Salt Lake to Atlanta -- Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Americas' started by combustor777, May 13, 2014.

1. combustor777

combustor777 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So fellas, I'm getting such a good deal on a new KTM SMT out west, vs here in the east, I plan to do a fly-n-ride next week out to Salt Lake, and ride back to Atlanta area. Done lots of 2-3 day weekends of 1200 miles or so, but nothing this big (rarely the time off).

I was going to just ship the bike, but so far the outrageous quotes have motivated me to "ship" myself (I can fly free) and ride it back. So all told I have about 4, maybe 5 days to do it which includes taking delivery and getting it's first service done along the way on day 2. They won't be leisurely days, but an average of 500 miles/day shouldn't be grueling either. I'd like to avoid interstate and take in some nice scenery on the way of course.

Looking at routes, I'm thinking one way or another I need to go by Breckenridge, CO or the Denver area, so that I can stop by for the dealer service around the 600 mile mark. Other than that, it's pretty wide open. I see that its still snowing in CO so I'll have to bring some layers (too hot here in the southeast already).

So my inmate friends up in the Rockies, what say you for the first leg of this journey? How many of these secondary roads at high elevation are still closed/snowy? Am I better off sticking to interstate? I thought about heading east on US40 toward Rangely and south on Rt 139 because it looks neat on the map, but not if I have to buy chains :wink:

What about routes across the plains? favorites? Was looking at US50 say from Pueblo to Dodge city. Probably won't have time for any side trips, but if you know a neat route or stretch of road I shouldn't miss, post it! :ear

I may try and swing through NE Oklahoma to see friends, time permitting. And the rest of the trip probably AR, MS, AL. Or I could go through MO and TN if I'm missing out. I'm not very familiar with the area as most of my riding is in the blue ridge.
  2. Dark Helmet

Dark Helmet Go to ludicrous speed!

Oddometer:
    I did a fly and ride to Denver back to Atlanta in January three years ago so got pretty chilly but I had heated jacket, gloves and grips. Hit a low of 19. I hustled back as it was too cold to sight see. I went south from Denver and into NW Oklahoma and Texas. That corner is very pretty, particularly around the Black Mesa State Park (I took another trip back in the summer a couple years ago). From a planning standpoint my trip took three days and two nights and I was riding interstates. If you are going to be doing 5 days including backroads you will need to plan carefully to accomplis all you would like to do.

Congrats on the bike! Have a fun and safe trip.

DH
  3. Strokizator

Strokizator Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    4 or 5 days ain't much time for roughly 2000 miles but, then again, once you get east of Denver you can just cannonball it. You're sure to miss a bunch no matter which route you choose but, if it were me, I'd take Hwy 40 east out of SLC and head for Steamboat Springs then over Rabbit Ears Pass. From there you have two choices; either head to Walden and take Hwy 14 into Fort Collins or down through Kremmling and east until you hit Hwy 34 through Rocky Mountain Nat'l Park.

Hung out in Colorado last summer with my son-in-law who happened to be on an SMT. What a hooligan bike! Did these routes and many others. It was supposed to be a 7 day ride but he blitzed through all my routes in just 5 days so we headed home early. No matter which way you go, you're guaranteed to have fun. Good luck.
  4. combustor777

Oddometer:
    thanks fellas! hope i have time for a few pictures
  5. LONG DONGER

LONG DONGER Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Too bad you don't have a full week!

But US40 east would be a good choice, then drop to I-70 to Breckenridge for the first service. Another option would be jump up on I-80 into Wyoming, then drop down on either side of Flaming Gorge Res. into Vernal, then pick up 40 again. I love the road from the Gorge down to Vernal. You can make some good time from SLC to Breck on those roads.

Personally, I would stay out of Denver, but head south from Breck on 9 and deviate a little bit west into Salida, then take 50 east, then 1A to 69 into Walsenburg. If I had time (hint, make time), take Co 12 (Highway of Legends), thru La Veta and over Cuchares Pass into Trinidad.

From there, you can haul ass east. If you still have time, you can catch 412 in the OK panhandle and go thru NE OK. Black Mesa area is pretty, and NM456 has about 20 miles of dirt (slick red clay if it's been raining) that dumps you out at Black Mesa.

You will slow down considerably when you get to eastern OK, Arkansas, unless you jump to I-40. No real good routes across the state that won't slow you down. My recommendation is take advantage of the mountains in Colorado, then slab it home after you get on the plains. You can make good time in eastern Colorado, and both panhandles on the "back roads", but as you get further east, the little towns will slow you down too much, but if have extra time if you go thru Tulsa, you could take 412 to Springdale, AR, then either take I-49 (I-540) south to 40, or better yet, head east on 412 to 23 South and take the old pig trail. It will dump you out on 40 at Ozark, AR. From there, slab it.

Post up on your final plans, if there is something close to the route you pick, we can make further suggestions. Like Adobe Walls, Wagon Box Springs, or the mailboxes and farm from Castaway in Texas.
  6. ALinUTAH

ALinUTAH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    US40 east all the way to almost Denver is a good way to make some time. I second staying away from Denver. All the main paved roads should be open. Head south at Kremmling if you want to go thru Breckenridge. But watch the weather forecast because we get snow in May sometimes out here.

For crossing the plains, I have a different approach than most. Instead of just putting my head down and grinding thru it on the interstate, I like to slow down and take the state or US highways. You might actually enjoy it. Take US50 or KS96 across KS west to east, and then US77 or KS99 down into NE Oklahoma.
  7. combustor777

Oddometer:
    Great suggestions guys, keep them coming! I may have to just enjoy CO that first day and then warp home by Saturday afternoon. I forgot that I need to at least try and be at the fly-in at my local airport that day. If it doesn't look possible by the time I get the first service outta the way, I'll just take my time and have more fun.