950 Gas Mileage / Range Check In

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by PhotoMotard, May 5, 2006.

1. PhotoMotard

PhotoMotard Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have checked the past threads on mileage and bikes.

It seems that the 950 gets around 28 mpg when ridden hard and up to 40 mpg at more cruising speeds with less throttle.

Is this consistant with your experience?

I do like the idea of the bigger tanks as mentioned in the recent thread. Not sure how much weight this will add.

What have you guys been getting in mpg on road? :ear Thanks.

Robb Williamson
    Colorado
  2. Steverino

Steverino Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Oddometer:
    When I bought mine used it was jetted for sea level. I live at 3000 ft and do most of my riding in that elevation range. I was getting about 28mpg until I did some carb tuning and now consistently get around 40. Light used to come on at 120 miles, now I do not see it until 160 or beyond. I ride mine pretty hard and I am a big guy so I know that it is working hard. Me thinks you need to do some "tuning" yourself.
  3. sailah

sailah Lampin' it

Oddometer:
    When the bike was new to me my light would come on at 130ish. I thought too soon. I did get at least 40 miles on the reserve though.

More recently I have been getting 160-165 before the light comes on. I think I was lugging the engine which was contributing to the mileage. I now run the revs up and it has been getting much better. Steady 35-38 mpg. My bike was jetted when I bought it from AZ, now in RI. I will probably get to the jetting at some point for a baseline. Waiting for the jetting thread to finally make up their mind!!!:D
  4. Foto Veloce

Foto Veloce The Free Radical

Oddometer:
    On my last trip from WA -> CA I was getting about 200->220 on a tank and taking 5.2 to fil up (so that's about .5 gallon still in there!). That's working out to be right near 40 MPG.. I'm pretty happy with that. Of course the gas in CA dropped my milage a bit and the bike did not run quite as good on that crap but once in OR and WA she was back to normal.
    Pariahtize likes this.
  5. PhotoMotard

PhotoMotard Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the updates. Trying to figure out how the carbs figure into Denver and Colorado's higher altitude with mileage.

Any Colorado Riders that can chime in?:ear

Robb
  6. Texmoto1

Texmoto1 Adventure Berzerker

Oddometer:
    130 VS 220 is a hell of a range! anything in particular you guys have done to your bikes? Could it be something like a 16T sprocket, or pipes or jetting making the differences? To be honest mine gets to about 160 when the light kicks on. I have staintunes, 16T sprocket, rejetted carbs and a full canisterectomy. I only have about 1100 miles on it, so am hoping it just needs to loosen up some. I had a 1200GS that started out getting about 34MPG then loosened up and started getting about 42MPG. Its amazing that I never used to even think about MPG and my bikes but.....things change
  7. waltert

waltert Poseur

Oddometer:
    First full tank of gas: 140ish miles till light
    Second full tank of gas: 165 miles till light

Total Miles on bike now: 480
  8. JediBri

JediBri Glory to GOD

Oddometer:
    On pavement the low fuel light on my bone-stock 04.5 S comes on at 160-170 miles. I'm in Colorado Springs.

Brian
  9. cpmodem

cpmodem Orange Caveman

Oddometer:
    masa yee yah tee 59° 14' 9" N / 135° 26' 42" W
    I have 11k miles on my '04 and average 35 mpg. Light comes on steady around 165. I have gotten 40 mpg several time when riding with friends (slows me down :wink: Mine has a Canesterectomy, 16T, rised needles, stock jets, Wings. I have a 5.8 gal fuel cell being built by BLM for use on endurance rallys. Gasoline is about 6.5 lbs per gallon. My fuel cell will weigh much less than even a very petite pillion and set right over the pillion seat. If someone builds a larger pair of main tanks, carrying extra fuel will be even less noticeable.
    -cp
  10. coyote

coyote gagger of lollies

Oddometer:
    35 mpg around town, 40 mpg doing highway duty (unless riding in the triple digit range).
    Bleedorange97 likes this.
  11. DakarBlues

DakarBlues One-everythinged man

Oddometer:
    Last Thursday i picked up my 2004 Go!!! (7000 miles, Akras, canisterectomy, PIAA twin headlight, ...) from my dealer to MotorcycleCloseout, to Boonvill, I covered 141 miles and burned 3.2 gallons,
    it is 44 miles per gallon
  12. motoman250f

motoman250f Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got 44 with mine in ideal conditions with stock jetting and needle in 3rd position. Now with the factory pro kit its Ideal conditions at 40-42, normally about 38 though combination riding
  13. motowest

motowest Two-wheeled Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm still figuring it out, but noticed that freeway mileage is really good (40 mpg), but quite a different story when romping in the hills. I suppose it is expected when you're on the throttle getting over the hills and constantly twisting the throttle coming out of turns.

I did find my fuel light came on (including trip F) a couple of times. I thought it would stay on when it came on the first time. I guess the sensor was fooled when I was riding downhill and then reset itself when I reached level ground at the bottom.

Overall, not quite the range I was hoping for with 5.8 gallons of fuel. I am happy to have a 6th gear though.:D
  14. BLUE(UK)

BLUE(UK) Long timer

Oddometer:
    My light flashes anywhere near the 150mile mark depending on how heavy the right hand is......after 5-10miles it goes off for about 5miles then comes back on!!:D :D

How cool is THAT??!!:wink:

Anyway i would guess that i'd be looking at anywhere around the 200-220mile mark out of a tank.
  15. MasterB

MasterB Adventurer

Oddometer:
    170 to 180 before the light comes on. About 40 mpg.
  16. d37rider

d37rider Love those twins!

Oddometer:
    My GO!!! avg 35 mpg. My new 950 which has a 16tooth front sprocket gets 32 mpg. I commute 20 miles to work on the freeway doing about 80/+ mph. But there is definetly a drop in mpg with the smaller front sprocket. I will put the stock sprocket back on for commuting, but will probably run the smaller one for pure off road excursions! I really want rally saddle tanks!!!
  17. goblue

goblue n00b

Oddometer:
    Always gotten just under 40 MPG touring. Just got back from a trip averaging about 45 MPG. Difference? No bags. Gonna have to fab some aerodynamic nose cones for those Igloos, I guess.

All stock, but 16T front sprocket.
  18. buckscreek

buckscreek AUTODIDACTIC

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have fuel consumption figures in Km/litre? Ive recently done two things which have thrown my figures completely:
    1. changed the wheel size (on the "speedo") to 19", which now seems to read speed correctly (recently checked by radar...)
    2. I've changed the sprocket combination to 16 / 45

So, now have to run a few tanks of fuel, do the sums, blah blah blah. Anyone else got the same sprocket combo?
  19. Seth S

Seth S My avatar is ok. Your screen is broken

Oddometer:
    28 mpg :huh With the 17 tooth sprocket, luggage, and traveling 75 mph on the interstate I get 40-45 mpg. Going across the desert on the desert gravel roads with offroad tires I got 40 - 45 mpg. Coming down out of the rockies with Avon Venom tires (or are they vipers?) i got almost 55 mpg. I switched to the 16T front sprocket recently and saw my gas mileage drop down to 35 mpg. I have not ridden the bike yet this summer :eek1 but will be taking a trip on it in September. I will keep the 16T on there unless i am going to do a long stint on the interstate then I will switch back. but 35mpg * 5.8 gallons = 203 miles. With the 17T sprocket i saw the light come on around 180 miles.
    Pariahtize likes this.
  20. Seth S

Seth S My avatar is ok. Your screen is broken

Oddometer:
    1.6 km = 1 mile
    3.785 liters = 1 gallon