OMAN, Muscat (in the middle east for those who dont know, 5hours away from Dubai)

Discussion in 'EMEA' started by Datan556, Jun 2, 2012.

?

Will you be able to participate?

1. Yes

2. No

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Datan556

Datan556 2stroke a day keeps the doctor away

Oddometer:
    I am in the process of organising a trail biking competition. It will be held in and around the city of beautiful Muscat situated in the Gulf. There are several "wadis", dry river beds, that can be used for a competition over a weekend. There are a lot of riders in around the city, mostly expatriates. The weather at the moment is hellish, in which a suitable time of riding will be around December. I’m looking for some sponsors and companies who can help out with prizes etc.:deal
    It will be a 3 day race in 3 different locations, the distance is yet to be worked out and locations need to be confirmed seeing some of them will be under construction. (nothing we can’t work out with the owners)
    Please reply to this if you are living in Muscat or around the city and would like to get involved in organising a much needed event for dirt biking.
    :freaky
  2. Datan556

Oddometer:
    ...?
  3. RTLover

RTLover Long timer

Oddometer:
    Too bad.

We were in Oman two winters ago. No bike but I rented a 4x4 and did some mild off-road into wadis and on the dunes for a week. Oman is a sleeper. Stable, modern, people are really friendly, English is widely spoken, as I assume you know well. :wink: We were bumping along a mostly dry river bed one day when we came upon about ten locals in two vehicles. They were just finishing a picnic and waved us over and offered us some kebabs and a bit of pleasantries in English. One of those countries you don't hear about, which for me makes it a favored destination.
  4. Datan556

Oddometer:
    no doubt, its a great place to get lost in. wouldve liked to get a better response from people to setup a annual cross desert tour, but hey ho.

Got stuck in the desert with a blown radiator and 5 locals came up to us with a whole repair kit and said they can help if we stay for lunch...brilliant
  5. Vicks

Vicks gets stuck in sand

Oddometer:
    sorry for the late reply but i'll be interested if you plan anything in future.

Can't do anything too technical as i ride a KTM990Adv but most wadis and deserts are fine, which i do regularly.
  6. Datan556

Oddometer:
    will keep you posted mate. Its now the time to ride, weather is allowing us to...
  7. deepstar

deepstar Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What u want ?

There is a large thriving Off-road biking scene in Oman.....

But unlike the UAE - it is run by friends (yep no $$$$)

And u want what organized ?
  8. Datan556

Oddometer:
    As I've mentioned a enduro competition. A weekend long round trip race. That's what I want
  9. Bongolia

Bongolia stop acting

Oddometer:
    Forget the sponsors. Just do it. And don't involve Red Bull.

I organised a couple in KSA a few years ago.

Plan a route, set out waypoints, get the local 4x4 club guys to volunteer as sweepers, find a doctor or nurse, design a logo, T shirts etc etc.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I love Oman. I'd go back in a flash.

[​IMG]
  10. Datan556

Oddometer:
    will take the advice. Will not get sponsors. The route is already scouted and 4x4 guys will be invloved. Need some waypoint officials. Not a problem. Race is back on and the people who are interested can reply to this thread. We are in oman and yes people from saudi, yemen(if any) and UAE are most welcome. The race will commence before the weather makes it problematic.

Spoken to a mate that is can help out with organising and obtain help from the Oman Off road club. Cheers for that.

So please reply to this thread and PM me your email, GSM number and we will get bcak to you on this one. There are 2 races left at the MX track so will be planning this asap for a fun weekend
  11. Musties

Musties n00b

Oddometer:
    Datan556 - Count me in for the ride!
  12. Datan556

Oddometer:
    Counted in! You are our very first rider. You will be wearing the number 1 sticker. PM me your details.
  13. Datan556

Oddometer:
    Facebook account to make it easier with organizing

http://www.facebook.com/muscat.enduro

add yourself there and we will add info and everything else on there

a bit of an update if you will
  14. Datan556

Oddometer:
    :rofl
    Seeing that there is a lot negativity within the organizing of such an event. Let me be clear:

1. If you don't want to join in on a day that was privately organised, DON'T JOIN
    2. If you think its unsafe and irresponsible...sell your motorbike, its for fun and the aim is not to kill people
    3. If you think its at the same level of Dakar with safety, luxury, organization and status, you are wrong. This is purely for people who enjoy a day out besides riding on their own.
    4. Reason for cops not getting involved is because its outside Muscat and not on public roads, I don't phone and check with cops when I go riding, why should we do it now?!

This is not a professional event. Its a little party with bikes. It is time for lots of expats to come and befriend people ,the ones that they haven't met before, to mix and familiarize themselves with different types of riding and people.

This is entirely at your own risk. Nobody will be held responsible for your bike or your safety except yourself! You know how fast you like to go on the pony,stick to it. (we will have medical help on standby with a kit or 2)

Remember ITS FOR FUN
  15. Datan556

Oddometer:
    The cut-off date for entries will be on the 8th of February 2013. Race date is still being discussed seeing that the MX season races are still on. 2 races left on calendar so the last weekend in Feb looks promising!

Will keep you posted on actual race date. There are 13 riders currently signed up! More riders means more money! Kick start your retirement fund through signing up and of course winning the race:evil!
  16. Datan556

Oddometer:
    I will be at the OMX track on Friday the 22nd and one last chance to meet up during the course of next week. I shall be the bloke on the back of a cookie monster blue Dodge pick up. I will be there 12 o clock sharp until 13:30 - 14:00 ish.

Entry fee:20 Rial
    And Tshirt Size

Thank you once again to those who have entered.

Happy racing on Friday to MX guys

updated list for enduro:

1. Christoper Mustoe
    2. Richard Clarke
    3. Richard Eaton s
    4. Richard Russell
    5. Luke Basset
    6. Ivan Shelby
    7. Daryle Hardy
    8. Floris D
    9. James Izzard
    10. David Donald