Pennsylvania Tag-o-Rama

Discussion in 'Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carp' started by Skyclad, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Skyclad

Skyclad Original Bastard Supporter

Oddometer:
    It started in Ohio
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=321439

Then it moved to Virginia
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=360246

Now we have Tag-o-rama in Pennsylvania. This game is intended to give folks an excuse to get out and ride (like ya need one) and learn more about this place we call home. (Pennsylvania Tag-o-Rama Google Map)

Rules are easy...

#1 - Find the tag and get a picture of your bike in the same location (as best as possible). The first person to post a found tag gets to place the next tag. If you get a tag, but somebody else posts their picture first, you lose.

#2 - Take the tag to a new location, get the photo and post it here. Give a few hints so the next person can figure out where the tag is located. Try to place the tags in interesting locations, maybe a bit of history that can be found down some nice twisties. Remember, the point of the game is not to make the clues difficult to figure out. It is about riding, not Googling.

#2a - New tag must be placed within 72 hours. If new tag is not set within the time limit, the first Bruce posted gets the tag. If no Bruce was claimed, tag will back in play as if not grabbed, and somebody else will get their chance. If you won't have the time to drop it off, don't pick it up to begin with.

#2a.1 - This rule is intended to keep the game moving. If the overdue tag is posted before somebody grabs the reverted tag, then the new tag will stand. However, giving the overdue tagholder a load of crap is still highly encouraged.

#3 - Tag must be placed on or near a legal road. Single/double track is out, but dirt and gravel roads are good. Keep it big bike friendly, and let people know if the they will be getting dirty to reach the tag.

#4 - File photos are NOT permitted. You gotta ride to play this game.

#5 - The motorcycle in the picture must get to the tag location under its own power (The vfr870 rule).

#6 - Repeat tags are not prohibited, but they are discouraged. PA is a big state, and even with 450+ tags already placed and grabbed, there are a lot of things/places out there that are not on the map yet.

#7 - No whining. If you have a valid sugestion to improve the game, we can listen to that. If you just wanna bitch and moan because you got Bruce'd, do it elsewhere.

Now that the rules are taken care of, here is the first tag.

This furnace can be found in eastern York county. It shares its name with both the road it is on, and the creek on the other side of the road. You don't have to ride any gravel to get here, but that option does exist.

0812081306.jpg

Go get it.
  2. Laoch

Laoch Am I still here? Supporter

Oddometer:
    I know it, but I'm not headed that way any time soon. They have some in Caledonia also.
  3. OoPEZoO

OoPEZoO Dirtball Extraordinaire

Oddometer:
    If thats the one I'm thinking of, I can grab it on the way home from work today. :evil

EDIT: Nope, I was wrong......I haven't given up, but I need to do some thinking. There are quite a few furnaces hanging out in the southern end of the county.
  4. Skyclad

Oddometer:
    I will give another hint...it is north of US-30. You would be looking a long time if you kept to the southern part of the county.
  5. OoPEZoO

Oddometer:
    Yeah.....I know exactly where it is. I needed to sit outback, drink a few beers, and think about it for a min. You damn near put it right under my nose. I knew it wasn't the Lock-12 furnace, or the Wrightsville furnace, but I couldn't remember if there was one down around Indian Steps/York Furnace area........thats where I headed yesterday. I even did a little gravel on the RT between Muddy Creek Forks and Woodbine. Anyway, the camera is stashed in the jacket pocket and I'm heading to the RIGHT location as soon as I get done with work today.
  6. Laoch

Laoch Am I still here? Supporter

Oddometer:
    :ksteve
  7. Fauster

Fauster BACON AKBAR!

Oddometer:
    Iff'n it ain't tagged by Sunday, I'm a lock - know right where it is. :D
  8. olenuf2nobetter

olenuf2nobetter Doin' it anyway

Oddometer:
    Isn't there a bit more to this rule? Like, your bike must be in your picture -- if it isn't you weren't there.
  9. OoPEZoO

Oddometer:
    How does this look?

[​IMG]

I took the easy way in (pavement) and the hard way (unmaintained gravel/dirt) out. The trickiest part was not letting my bike fall over while I was taking the picture. That ground was as soft as a sponge and my kickstand went right into it. The bike is sitting flat on the ground in that pic with the center stand sunk a good 2-3" into the earth. I'm planning on heading out towards Philly on Saturday morning, so I will post up the next tag when I get back that afternoon.
  10. Skyclad

Oddometer:
    We have a winner.

Codorus Furnace (Forge), located on Codrus Furnace Road, was operated by Hellam Iron Works. It originally produced normal pots and pans and the such, but was one of the ammunition manufacturers during the Revolutionary War.

Guess I should have mentioned this as well with the rules...it is not a hard and fast rule, but do your best to post the new tag within three days. This way the game will keep moving. I am not going to hold OoPEZoO to this, but from now on:deal

Does that really need to be said?
  11. Sparkster

Sparkster Live seriously.

Oddometer:
    If I may...

The rule about "no file photos" may want to be considered in a certain light: capturing the existing must be ridden, posting the new tag could be done with a file photo. This will allow your game to run much more quickly since it eliminates the wait period while the winner gets a new tag. Waiting could kill interest that otherwise would have remained fixed. Just a thought 'cause that's how we roll in Buckeye Country and it has worked to everyone's advantage.

Good start to the game, PA :thumb. Have fun.

If all goes well I maybe swinging through your way for a few days in October.
  12. OoPEZoO

Oddometer:
    I actually have an idea that I might be able to get a cool pic on my way home tonight. Well have to see how the weather holds out. I'm not much for searching for photo opportunities in the middle of a thunder storm.
  13. Skyclad

Oddometer:
    Sparkster, your idea certainly has some merit. We will see how it goes for a bit this way first, and figure it out then.

Give me a shout when you are out this way. I can show you around some of the less well known sights in the area.
  14. OoPEZoO

Oddometer:
    I got a little wet and sloppy getting there, but I got the TAG I was looking for. Well, kind of. I wanted to get out to the edge, but it looks like "The Man" as strategicly placed Jersey barriers in the way since last time I was there. It is located right on the Susquehanna River in York County. You will be required to ride some gravel, but its not bad by any stretch of the imagination

[​IMG]
  15. ddevil54r

ddevil54r Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ok, this sounds fun... guess i'll just have to wait till you guys get a little closer to me though... :huh
  16. PABiker

PABiker Anywhere but here

Oddometer:
    +1, I've already got my spot picked out when it gets near the West side of the state.
  17. OoPEZoO

Oddometer:
    The state is only 4-5 hours wide........rookies :lol3
  18. PABiker

Oddometer:
    Yea, I suppose your right. OK then, where's this at?

[​IMG]
  19. Skyclad

Oddometer:
    Hey, no posting tags until you get THE tag. :thwak

:D
  20. PABiker

Oddometer:
    Sorry.