Call all XR600R!!!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by CSMonte, Dec 8, 2008.

1. SlickSix

SlickSix Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I´m waiting on my FCR too and I´ve found a few tidbits here and there on jetting for the XR600/XR650.
    This one has pretty good info and will put you on the right track

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/622356-fcr-mx-jetting-for-xr650l-where-to-get-started/

I have a few more but that one pretty much takes you by the hand. The trial and error of some guys will pretty much eliminate most of your own guessing :deal. If you follow some of the links, you´ll be set :freaky
  2. SlickSix

Oddometer:
    By the way, please share your homemade adaptor for some ideias, if that´s ok :D
    There´s no way I´ll fork out the money asked for a NOS adapter
  3. luckyjr

luckyjr Adventurer

Oddometer:
  4. nikolic

nikolic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm waiting for FCR too, please do share the dimensions of adaptors you've made! Thumb up for jetting link ;)
  5. Tachedoutoffroad

Tachedoutoffroad Mr. Parrish

Oddometer:
    Picking up a clean, plated '96 on Sunday if all goes and planned :freaky:freaky

It has 50/50 tires and no bark busters????? Maybe it will be super clean when I get there :wink:
  6. MentalGuru

MentalGuru Crazy Diamond

Oddometer:

Secret Santa does exist!!! :freaky

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=836501

:beer
  7. Captain115

Captain115 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So my bike is apart at the moment (cleaning and fixing stuff up) and the previous owner gave me an after market choke plate that he never go round to installing so I thought I'd put it in and check the jets while I was there.

Since the choke lever was broken I was told it just took a bit more priming of the engine to get it going and it did seem to start fine. I bought a replacement lever and put the plate in (there was currently no choke plate in it) and noticed that the jets were currently #62 and #165. This seems really rich compared to stock yeah? Especially as it doesn't have an aftermarket pipe.

So my question is: would there be any point using the new choke, since it might just run way too rich and flood the motor?

Also should I decrease the jets so it's not running so rich? The plug was completely coated in carbon and looking at the piston through the sparkplug hole it seemed to be black too.

Extra info: has a 630cc kit but not sure how that would affect jetting that much surely?

Thanks,

John
  8. SlickSix

Oddometer:
    That´s the stock jetting used in Europe, here in Portugal they came 62/165 from 91 up
  9. IronSpadeCycles

IronSpadeCycles Button Pusher

Oddometer:
    Alright well I think I've decided to turn my 88 XR6 into a bitchen cafe racer. I will have a handful of OEM and aftermarket parts up for grabs if anyone needs them. I have an almost new IMS 4.0g transparent tank that has seen 3 tanks of fuel. I rode the bike 200 miles one weekend about 8 months ago, but since has just sat in the garage waiting for some needed carb work.

I think the parts I won't need any longer will be the OEM seat in fairly good shape, the almost new IMS tank, 88 OEM airbox with 24 years of normal scratches, 88 side covers in fairly good shape but modded for the IMS 4.0g tank and white fenders (front and rear are new 12 months ago but have 2 rides on them). Also the stock OEM headlight and number-plate with a hi/lo bulb conversion, 3 of the 4 rubber fork clamps are good, one is broken. I'm sure I'm forgetting something else, I'll know when I start to break it down in a couple weeks.

I will post an ad in the Flea Market over the next couple weeks with pictures. I just wanted to see if any of you guys need anything first. If so I'd be happy to make a package deal for a great price. I hate Ebay and would rather sell here first.

PM me if anyone wants or needs these parts. Talk soon, Travis
  10. HeadTrauma

HeadTrauma ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Oddometer:
    I could use the IMS tank since mine is starting to crack(ethanol perhaps?), but I'm not sure I can spare the funds. I have an old Mustang that's getting new suspension, a disc brake conversion, and an EFI conversion right now. I knew it was expensive to play with cars before, but with the post-crash inflation..... :huh
  11. elsalvadorklr

elsalvadorklr southern xr rider

Oddometer:
    hey dudes hows it going?

so Im having some issues lately

specifically hard starting and KICKBACK

I have gone back to the stock carb now thinking the flatslide was part of the problem and since I dint have enough jets to tune the pilot circuit I decided to try the stock carb again and once started it feels great, yes the bog is back off idle but I dont care that much aboyut that...

anywhoo

for those of you who have suffered kickback on almost every kick hot or cold how have you fixed it?

1. tight vaves= readjust and loosen them up a bit?
    2. pilot jet circuit? lean out or richen up?
    3. combination of these fixes or something else I can try?

the bike has become incredibly hard to start meaking me lean towards valves since BOTH carbs exhibit the same symptoms...

oem a little less...but still a nuissance:cry

what say you?
  12. Royal Club

Royal Club Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It never hurts to check the valves no?

finally got my cambearings and ignition cover check-hole covers so I started to rebuild the pigs engine.

Its my first time rebuilding the top end so its not moving very fast.

[​IMG]

who can tell me what the smallest o-ring is used for?
    [​IMG]
  13. elsalvadorklr

Oddometer:
    think the new cam and rockers are breaking in? and tightening up?

Ill do that next...thanks!

that oring..is either .for the petcock or the oil reservoir cap...

my k and s complete rebuild kit included these:D

cheers

lastly it can also be for the two caps on the stator cover holes for valve adjusts...both caps have orings on them
  14. Royal Club

Oddometer:
    Yeah i checked those 2, but I find it funny they would include a oring for the small statorcover hole and not for the big one..

I'm using a ATHENA top end gasket kit by the way
  15. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Christian,

Re Kick Back.

Should have left the auto decom assy in place. That's what it's in there for.

Royal,

O-ring.

Cam chain tensioner shaft.
  16. Royal Club

Oddometer:
    thanks!!!:clap
  17. elsalvadorklr

Oddometer:
    cept it never did it before...so ots either jetting or the valve lash tighetned up on me

didnt do it on the oem cam without assembly either...

how many valve adjusts have you done on your new cam?

just wondering
  18. 2manyrides

2manyrides shifty charactor

Oddometer:
    ...but I wont go into it too deeply here...

I'll make a video later...

Trailtech info

7:18-time spent away from the truck
    4:32-time spent with a motor running
    273 degrees-hotest engine got-(ran at 193 durning the hightailing it back)
    6,010-max rev's per minute
    69.5-maximum MPH
    121.5 miles-finger numbing, butt burning, bike manuvering, tire ghooshing fun...

Most roads were as steep as can be, but road 27 has 754 semi level curves like this for breaking traction!
    Must have passed 7 of those signs urging drivers to
    "share the road" with a representation of, #1 a dirt rider, but #2,
    a four wheel thingy.

The main goal I had in the planned day's loop was to hit the fiddle creek trail at the apex of our journey.
    But by the time we we got there it was time to hightail it back to the truck...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1991 XR600R plated, with a 1992 motor that's never been apart...(but it could use it)
    Yep, carrying plenty of "goodies" in them bags I made!
    Really liking the MT 21's, there was a lot of slippery stuff...

Ya, she's starting to smoke a lot on decelerations...:deal
  19. elsalvadorklr

Oddometer:
    tear it open bud! nothing to lose there... rering and call it good! jajaja or send it to steve or cw! christmas is coming:D
  20. 2manyrides

2manyrides shifty charactor

Oddometer:
    Got any spare cash? I have 3 to trick out...:rofl