2013 Montrose Monkeybutt Mayhem

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by MountainsandRivers, Feb 28, 2013.

1. MountainsandRivers

MountainsandRivers loves dirty things!

Oddometer:
    There is a place called Peach Valley near Olathe. It is a great riding area, some single track and some open riding. If you go sometime, please follow signs as there are some off limits/reveg areas. We want to promote good stewardship and continue to be allowed access to this resource. Plates not needed, but a sticker required in lieu of plate. They check frequently...so who is interested?

Directions-
    From: Montrose, CO 1) Take Hwy 50 north about 9 miles 2) Turn right (east) on Falcon Road (Falcon Road turns into Peach Valley Road) 3) Continue about 4 miles toward the OHV area.
    Or if you are coming from Grand Junction/Delta-take 50 south..just about 1/4 mile or so past the light at Olathe, look for the left to Falcon Rd. I think there is a turn lane..there is also a brown BLM sign for the Gunnison Gorge at the intersection on the east side.

The parking is the same as the camping area. After Falcon road becomes dirt, just keep following it. it will bend around a bit, there will be a horse parking area on the right, followed by the OHV parking lot also on the right. When you pull into the parking, i am hoping to get the two pavillions on the far left, near the practice area/beginner track..there is a lot of flat ground around there to camp on, pull a trailer to, or I generally just pass out on a picnic table under a pavillion in case of rain, or back of the truck if it is clear out!
  2. MountainsandRivers

Oddometer:
    Now for some teasers..the practice area right behind the parking lot/ camping area...see how lush it is? There is even green shrubs way off in the distance!
    [​IMG]

Lots of ditches, bitches!
    [​IMG]

some even have rocks and stuff..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

open playing is allowed and encouraged..
    [​IMG]

tons of shade so you don't overheat!
    [​IMG]

some decent descents...there is a several hundred foot drop here...lots of puckering to be had!
    [​IMG]

and the views! That is the Scenic San Juan mtns way in the distance with the whitestuff, just past Flattop which is on the Montrose side of the riding area..
    [​IMG]

It should be a good time! I expect some carnage, some good stories, maybe a boo boo or two, hearts broken and lives forever changed! Or at least a some good days playing in the dirt and rocks and punishing our livers and grin muscles!
  3. modette

modette Rider

Oddometer:
    I was interested till I saw the dates...I was hoping fall fun. :D
  4. enduro-ince

enduro-ince dirtslave

Oddometer:
    IN!!! Shall I order a keg of Dales?
  5. MountainsandRivers

Oddometer:
    hmmm, well, maybe....FUCK YEAH YOU SHOULD!
  6. Olas

Olas Long timer

Oddometer:
    This sounds fun, I've been wanting to ride the area. I'll be done with finals by then, so count me in!
  7. rinoman

rinoman Let's ride

Oddometer:
    It is still so far, but I like to join you on this one.
    Trevor- get Lee's ass up there too!
    Thx
  8. rinoman

rinoman Let's ride

Oddometer:
    So if this is another MB, this means 500 miles in 3 days?
  9. MountainsandRivers

Oddometer:
    honestly, probably not..i. Think around 250 could be possible through the weekend though..i am planning to be there mid day Friday to get one or two of the pavillions staked out. From there I see it being a bit more of a free for all..small groups hooking up and heading out to various areas..i am sure if we get a few locals everyone will have their favorite parts they want to show off..easy enough to circle back around to camp for food/refreshments and gas...
    I am just hoping it to be a fun weekend to show a new area to some, play in the dirt and drink some brews!
  10. brav

brav Falls-alot

Oddometer:
    I'm in.
  11. DADODIRT

DADODIRT Gettin' older Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a good reason to head north for a weekend.
  12. Bobmentum

Bobmentum RMTA

Oddometer:
    Thanks Trevor for starting another epic chapter of the MB500 trilogy! :clap

I think I would be in (my health is returning)... but, we are having a memorial ride for my buddy Deane who passed away recently on May 18th here in Woodland Park. I'll wait to see how firm your date is.
  13. Raul Duke

Raul Duke DROC

Oddometer:
    Damn, I really want to do Deane's ride to pay my respects. Any chance we can move this one back a weekend?
  14. MountainsandRivers

Oddometer:
    very possible..nothing firm yet..i understand the importance of Deane's ride to you guys, so are you thinking a week later? I also need to check with Morgan at Highland Cycles next week and see how his schedule looks, since Ben said he wanted to do something..i mean if someone wants to do some BBQ for us, we should work around that schedule!
  15. Raul Duke

Raul Duke DROC

Oddometer:
    If things line up, that would be great. If not, no worries. No need to completely rearrange everything on our account. But having said that, yes, the weekend after is looking better for me.
    :lol3
  16. wagonpilot

wagonpilot Freeeeze

Oddometer:
    Walkin distance!

If work don't f- things up, I am in.
  17. enduro-ince

enduro-ince dirtslave

Oddometer:
    So Trevor.....why so late in the spring for this thing? It'll be getting kinda toasty by late May. I'm a heat wimp. If its too hot I'll just have to hide under a pavilion and drink I guess. Seems like about a month sooner could be good, and then we won't have to wait as long!!!
  18. Raul Duke

Raul Duke DROC

Oddometer:
    Im with Tom! Im not a hot weather person either. April works for me....
  19. MountainsandRivers

Oddometer:
    But April doesn't start with an M...might need a name change then, but I am fine with April..everyone okay with that? I know I can't make everyone happy, but throw out your preferences and we will let the majority rule!
  20. enduro-ince

enduro-ince dirtslave

Oddometer:
    apr 27 28 works for me!