How crazy would I be to try this? Fly and ride, 2-up.

Discussion in 'Canada' started by 3Putt, May 6, 2014.

1. 3Putt

3Putt Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm all hot to buy this bike in the FM (link)

I'm looking at a fly and ride from Anchorage to Chicago in July, the hitch being I'd be doing it 2-up with my wife. After getting over how expensive the journey would be I started reading about road conditions, my lack of skill/experience on anything but pavement is putting me off. We are looking for adventure but I don't want to get us killed. We'd stick to the best "major" roads available between points A and B but from what I've read even those can be hard packed dirt and just a nightmare in the rain.

I've got no off road experience except the occasional unexpected gravel or dirt road or long construction zone. We have probably 30,000 miles of 2-up experience crisscrossing the US in ALL weather conditions.

I've read conflicting reports on the road conditions. What say you? No problem go for it or suicide mission?

Here's the rough route I threw together yesterday. Link to Google Map of route

Thanks!

[​IMG]
  2. devo2002

devo2002 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Unless you can stick to pavement, you answered your own question. Doesn't look like an area to test your 2-up dirt experience, especially on a new to you bike. You are asking for trouble...
  3. 3Putt

3Putt Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was told by someone who hasn't been there in several years that most of this route is indeed paved. I guess that's really what I'm trying to ask here.
  4. rob1313

rob1313 Still learning

Oddometer:
    Could you fudge things a bit, maybe have your wife fly in and meet you at a point where there isn't so much fir you to worry about regarding the roads? DoG hates a coward you know....

Sorry I haven't been up that way in a long time is I can't offer any route advice
  5. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Just go... epic trip and once in a lifetime gig. Excellent bike choice for the trek.
  6. 3Putt

3Putt Long timer

Oddometer:
    My wife is a ride or don't go type. I might get her on a plane once we get back to the US but only so she can get back to work.
  7. 3Putt

3Putt Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've never had a Yamaha, seems like people like them OK. I know I wouldn't want to make the trip on my BMW beta tester!
  8. Fatallybitten

Fatallybitten Slow and getting slower Supporter

Oddometer:
    3Putt, you should be able to stay on pavement all the way. You may run into the occasional section of gravel on the ALCAN if they are doing road work, but these sections are usually fairly short. If you do happen to run into road work be sure to go the head of the line. They let motorcycles jump the queue and then follow immediately behind the pilot vehicle. That way you don't have to eat a whole bunch of dust. I also ride a Super Tenere and it is a great bike for this type of trip. The one you are considering looks pretty well equipped too! Enjoy the ride if you decide to go for it. Cheers, David
  9. smoky

smoky Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That entire route is paved. You can easily ride two-up on a Goldwing, pulling a trailer! Just go, take a camera! :clap
  10. 3Putt

3Putt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, it's sounding more doable. My wife just showed me a picture of couple on a Goldwing. Maybe it was smoky!
  11. Keithert

Keithert Long timer

Oddometer:
    My Dad bought a new early 90s BMW R1100R in Alaska and rode it back to Chicago. Go for it!
  12. middleview

middleview gizmo

Oddometer:
    Definitely do-able. Fatally bitten is right - that's all paved except construction. Now, quality if pavement can be marginal, but you've got the experience it seems
  13. 3Putt

3Putt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the input!

If the construction zones are the only real area of concern then I'm 95% there, but believe I'm second in line behind a local. We need to go test sit one to make sure we're both happy but other than that I think I'm ready to try and make this happen.

Here's one of my favorite shots of my co conspirator, just because.

She got to play Park Ranger a few years ago in Lehman Cave at Great Basin National Park.

[​IMG]
  14. prime

prime Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Do it. You'll love it. I have done from Kamloops, BC to Dawson and the Fairbanks the last 2 years. Other than construction it's all paved and in fair shape!
  15. Strawdog

Strawdog Strawdog

Oddometer:
    Have done trip couple of times roads in 2012 were in good shape better than were I live. :D
  16. rigwrecker

rigwrecker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Truely, an awesome trip. You will have a blast
  17. DualSport855

DualSport855 Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Trip of a lifetime and very easy logistics, do it while you can!

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
  18. Raconnol

Raconnol Long timer

Oddometer:
    This route is very popular with the Harley and Goldwing crowd so you will not have any problems regarding the road surfaces.

For two up riding the GW would be my first choice on this route.

Not sure why you are driving past Banff. It is busy and expensive in the summer, but fun to walk around. FYI the Hotels in Canmore are much more reasonable then in the Park.

I have been to both Valdez and Hyder and would do them again. A tour of Prince William Sound is very popular with the misses.

Pick up a current copy of the Alaska Milepost. It will tell you everything you need to know about the route.
    http://www.themilepost.com/

And I use tripadvisor all the time to check on hotels and fun tours for the wife along our drive.

For current road conditions in BC, including web cams
    http://www.drivebc.ca/#links
    Same for the Yukon
    http://www.511yukon.ca/

Gather a list of all the Motorcycle shops and Yamaha dealers along the route for flat tires etc., If you have tubeless tires, bring a small compressor and plug kit (Slime from Walmart)

It can be very cold in the mountains early in the AM on a cold and rainy day, so good rain gear and gerbings are highly recommended.

Other than that, have fun it's a good ride.

Rick
  19. smoky

smoky Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I found the Alaska Milepost to be very out of date. It showed gas stations that looked like they had been closed for decades. There is far less gas available on the highway than the Milepost would suggest.

Gas up often.
  20. Vin

Vin Hopeless Addict

Oddometer:
    Go