KLX650 riders UNITE

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by COBAUM, Aug 17, 2006.

1. COBAUM

COBAUM How Did I Get Here?

Oddometer:
    OK. I am a KLR650 rider. The KLX650 always intrigued me. From what I read, it is the county road brother of the KLR. Not many around, but a VERY loyal (maybe delusional) following. I came across a KLX650 that was owned by the Colorado Springs Police/Fire depts. Seems they took turns using it to patrol off road areas. One of the riders dropped it and cracked the case (hairline) right where the clutch rod enters the side case. So the clutch started sticking. Then, they started cannibalizing parts for the other patrol bikes. I bought it for ~$350 and after a close examination; it will take ~$500 to get it back to running and street legal. Add $175 if I cannot repair the side case.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    So, I find that the only place to get good info is the yahoo KLX650 group. Why do you guys not hang out here? I hate the message board software yahoo uses. It is difficult to find info using the search function whereas here it is a breeze. Come on guys. This is a great site and a great place for KLX riders to hang out.<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
  2. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's a lost cause. I have posted pictures twice of my KLX 650 and the mods I have made. Even tried veiled insults to the multitude of KLR owners explaining how they are inferiorer in every way. Get a couple of: "nice bike comments" then relegated to obscurity. :D
    Thumperiffic likes this.
  3. sattara

sattara Dzogchenpa

Oddometer:
    There are a few of us here, but the size of this forum and the small number of KLX's make it less practical than a more focused setting like the yahoogroup for bike specific info.
    Sat Tara
  4. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    They're pretty rare. I worked at a Kaw dealer when they were new. The dealer had 1 that didn't sell for such a long time that he dropped the price so much that a guy in service dept picked it up and made a motard out of it. Never seen another.
  5. HighwayChile

HighwayChile greetings from Wa state Supporter

Oddometer:
    ok I had a yahoo ID once, forgot it. :norton
    man you stole that one, and an ex-cop bike. does it have any trick cop paint? Uzi/AK mount or something?:evil
  6. davorallyfan

davorallyfan Commonist Supporter

Oddometer:
    S'pose a pic of one wouldn't hurt.
    [​IMG]
    spokester likes this.
  7. katbeanz

katbeanz earthbound misfit, I

Oddometer:
    Interesting bikes, had a buddy down in wichita that got one after he parted ways with his xrl. I ran across a comparison between the xrl, dr and klx, the article is at least 10 yrs old. It refers to the xrl being in it's 4th model year. :lol3

http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mccompare/opendp.html
  8. gas_pig70

gas_pig70 Mmm... mud!

Oddometer:
    I just found out that one of my neighbors obtained a KLX650C recently. He's in the midst of "going through it".
  9. yater

yater Long timer

Oddometer:
    We tried to turn one into an adventure bike last year with no luck. We couldn't get around the tank issue. After trying to import an "R" tank to retrofit to the C with no luck, we gave up and rode the bike for what it is. It's a big dirtbike with no aftermarket...still a cool bike. This particular bike hits reserve at 90-100 miles...not exactly adventure capable
  10. Mr.Grumpy

Mr.Grumpy Banned

Oddometer:
    Jumpin' Jimminy! They aren't that rare! No one has an after market tank for one? Daammmmn.
  11. Posaja

Posaja Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here I am:clap
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK one more time, just to get my post count up and for the 1/2 dozen that might be interested. This is my effort at an adventure bike:
    [​IMG]
    Side panel tank is a Baja Designs for a Yamaha 426. Couple of simple brackets and cheap electric fuel pump to replentish the main tank via the charcoal cannister vent. Quick connects for fuel and it can be removed in about 15 minutes. Total capacity is 4.4 gal. A few carb adjustments and it pulls like a train and still gets over 50mpg.
    Woody78 likes this.
  13. Posaja

Posaja Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great job dude:D
    Here some specification of my model
    [​IMG][
    Starting from a 96 model (shown above) I put a self made tank and all the plastics and seat of a KX125
    [​IMG]
    Extra wide WRP footpegs
    [​IMG]
    Magura hidraulic clutch
    [​IMG]
    Holins rear shock absorber
    [​IMG]
    Stealt sprocket and green chain
    [​IMG]
    pro taper handlebar, ramirez risers, GPR stering dumper, GPS Garmin III [​IMG] [​IMG]
    FR700 likes this.
  14. switchback

switchback Eatin' Dirt Since 1982

Oddometer:
    That is one nice bike. Self-made tank! That is awfully ambitious. How does one even start that process unless it is aluminum? I see that Acerbis in Europe has a larger tank in black for tha KLX but none listed over here.

Why in the world would Kawasaki abandon this bike in favor of the dated KLR. I remember reading some tests on the dirt bike version and the only issues were the weight and small radiators.
  15. Posaja

Posaja Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's the photo report of my work (be patience I used on line translator)
  16. HighwayChile

Oddometer:
    this makes you eligible for the KLX hall of fame.

as a repeat, I have a KLX R 5 gal acerbis, to mount it to a C is a bunch of work. I have been told on the KLX yahoo forum they have done it .

17. R-dubb

R-dubb Dubbious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No problem, I've posted this before. Here goes again. Yes, you can mount a 4 gal tank to the street model. Not really all that much work, just dollars to spend on an "R" seat, new white plastic and some bar risers.

Here is my '95 C with the Acerbis green tank. I can tell lots of stories about setting this thing up. Bottom line it works well without any serious issues.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4 gal Acerbis tank
    "R" model seat rebuilt by Boejangles
    FCR 39mm carb
    Fatbars with risers
    578cc big bore Vulcan piston upgrade
    43mm WP/KTM front end
    320mm EBC rotor
    Happy Trails rack and boxes

It's all good! Lot's of work, yes, but I do love this bike. Cruises at 85 with a full load. Holds it's own with LC4's on the trail.

Before:
    [​IMG]

During:
    [​IMG]

Naked:
    [​IMG]

Boxes:
    [​IMG]

Action:
    [​IMG]

-dubb
  18. HighwayChile

Oddometer:
    are those katoom/WP forks?

anyone ever sees a R seat lemme know....:evil
  19. R-dubb

R-dubb Dubbious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    yupp, 43mm WP fork, front wheel and brake caliper from a '00 KTM RFS. The beauty is there are pleanty of these older forks floating around. After KTM upgraded their spec to 48mm, no one wanted the smaller ones. 'cept me that is...

-dubb
  20. Posaja

Posaja Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I almost forgot to introduce you my KLX "C" version with desert conversion hand made :D
    [​IMG]