Yes another Alaska thread

Discussion in 'Americas' started by dsauer, Dec 6, 2012.

1. dsauer

dsauer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We are thinking pretty heavily about Alaska this next summer. For you experienced AK travelers, which is better, to ride from the lower 48 or fly into ANC and rent bikes?

Fly N Ride:
    Shorter time away from paychecks
    My bike stays clean at home
    Money not spent on ferry = bike rental

Ride:
    Get the "full experience" of crossing the Alcan
    Longer time spent on a motorcycle
    Ferry ride looks pretty cool

Thanks in advance for all the wisdom that's about to flow my way.

:lurk
  2. mundobravo

mundobravo Long timer

Oddometer:
    You want to ride TO alaska ...or ....ride IN alaska ?
  3. dsauer

dsauer Been here awhile

Oddometer:

For sure IN, but if it's awesomely cool, TO as well. I hear that the ride up is mostly trees and rather boring, but never having been there I don't know.
  4. theshnizzle

theshnizzle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bike stays clean at home???!!!!!! Bikes are meant to be dirty,dude! As one who did the trip last year,I DO understand about time vs pay check. I don't receive vacation pay,paid vacations or any benefits and each day away means I am losing income.

Yet I chose to take the month and ride there and back because to me that's what the trip was about,on my own bike with as much seat time as possible. In for a penny,in for a pound,no shortcuts or easy way out. I realize that's not for everyone but part of the whole experience was the journey there and back,not just the end destination.
  5. mundobravo

mundobravo Long timer

Oddometer:
    <iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/7780879?badge=0" width="500" height="375" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe> <p><a href="http://vimeo.com/7780879">Driven - The Arctic Circle</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user383158">Mundo Bravo</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>
  6. timbercat

timbercat Texas Cruiser

Oddometer:
    11000 mile last June. Round trip Texas to Alaska (Arctic circle) . Alaska is great but riding BC and the Yukon is what dreams are made of. Ride!!! And forget the ferry.

Timbercat
    Tapatalk HD from my iPad
  7. dsauer

dsauer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What did you like so much abt BC and Yukon? Did you return by a different route? What was the most memorable?
  8. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Canada/ Alaska......if there were no borders you would'nt no where you were, scenery does not know borders:D
    Go up the Alcan and back the Cassier. Think Colorado Mtn. riding equals B.C./ Yukon
  9. GISdood

GISdood Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And if you come through Prince George on your way north (or south, or both) drop me a PM. Free tent space or a spare room if needed.... and beer. Always plenty of good Canadian beer!

:freaky
  10. dsauer

dsauer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good Canadian beer? This just keeps getting better all the time!

:lol3
  11. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil

Oddometer:
    While here in Alaska we have some great places to visit, with outstanding scenery, the ride to and from the Great Land is as much a part of the adventure as touring the state. You only have to look over ride reports from people who have ridden - from anywhere across the U. S. - to and from Alaska to see that they found the entire trip worthy of photos and commentary. The ferry ride, at least between Prince Rupert, BC and Haines, AK, adds another dimension to a trip, but you won't be able to sample all that Alaska has to offer in one trip anyway, so pick what looks like the best for your first visit and put the rest on your bucket list for the next trip... or the one after. :D And let your plans be flexible so you can adjust your itinerary as you travel.
  12. SilkMoneyLove

SilkMoneyLove Long timer

Oddometer:
    Highways to look into:

Top of the world highway,

Sea to Sky Highway

Cassiar Highway

I'm flying into Anchorage and riding to Seattle this August. These highways are some that I am looking forward to experiencing. Alaska is like an elephant. You can't eat it all at once. Take a bite at a time. I have ridden Anch to Prudhoe so I want to try a different route this time.
  13. Rollin'

Rollin' does it come in black? Supporter

Oddometer:
  14. noshoes

noshoes soñando con México

Oddometer: