E15 to E85 coming to a pump near you!

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by coach03860, Jun 24, 2013.

1. khager

khager Long timer

Oddometer:

You got it right but backwards. Make sure you put the first two gallons on the ground, to get rid of the residual ethanol in the hose, then two gallons in the motorcycle. Throw a match while leaving QUICKLY!:lol3
  2. stevie99

stevie99 That's gotta hurt Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Texas, the baseball capital of the universe.
    Hey Happy, David Pemintal is a pimp for big oil. His credibility on this issue sucks.

http://www.ethanol.org/pdf/contentmgmt/USDA_etoh_energy_efficiency_June_2010.pdf

Conclusion
    A dry grind ethanol plant that produces and sells dry distiller’s grains and uses conventional fossil fuel power for thermal energy and electricity produces nearly two times more energy in the form of ethanol delivered to customers than it uses for corn, processing, and transportation. The ratio is about 2.3 BTU of ethanol for 1 BTU of energy in inputs, when a more generous means of removing byproduct energy is employed.
    Some dry mills are already using up to 50 percent biomass power. The energy output for these plants is near 2.8 times energy inputs, even using the conservative byproduct allowance. As processors master the logistics of handling bulky biomass, the energy balance ratio could reach 26 BTUs of ethanol per BTU of inputs used.
    Overall then, ethanol has made the transition from an energy sink, to a moderate net energy gain in the 1990s, to a substantial net energy gain in the present. And there are still prospects for improvement.
  3. michael2wheels

michael2wheels Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It's great when you come across threads that not only makes you think about things, but do further research.

It's even changed my purchasing habits……

I filled up my car with E0 fuel today and will fill my motorcycles with E0 fuel tomorrow.

No corn ethanol for me!

Thanks everybody,
    Michael
  4. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:

Fantastic post. All true, all scary shit.
  5. SourKraut

SourKraut Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Consider yourself lucky that you have a choice. There is no such thing as E0 gasoline in this part of the country.
  6. stevie99

Oddometer:
    Not even close to true. But if fairy tails help you sleep better, more power to ya.
  7. stevie99

Oddometer:
  8. stevie99

Oddometer:
    The Supreme Court put the legal challenge to E-15 brought by Big Oil, desperate to defend shrinking petroleum market share, and its school of sucker fish that were hungry for cheap corn to bed by refusing to hear their case which says it had no merit. Now the work continues to introduce E-15 into the market place. Big Oil owns a bunch of politicians too but they are worthless given the congressional dysfunction. Nobody that needs or wants anything from Congress can get it. Sometime that is a good thing.
  9. dwoodward

dwoodward Long timer

Oddometer:
  10. stevie99

Oddometer:
    The links in it have more validity than the other bull shit posted here. Anyone who claims that ethanol has a negative energy equation is talking out of their ass.
  11. rdtrvlr

rdtrvlr Long timer

Oddometer:
    I find it interesting that Stevie88 seems to be in the minority here. yet, according to him, he's the only one in the room that is correct and factual.

after 26k mi on my KLR, I absolutely pick up approx 4mpg every time I put E0 in it. with out exception.

I made a delivery to a "biofuel" (read ethanol) in Fulton ny when they were building it. I met a guy in a suit that said he was a consultant from Cornell univ.

I asked what he was consulting on. to he asked if I had kids. " I do". he replied " when they grow up you can tell them that you made a delivery to one of the biggest scams ever heaped on the American public"

he went on to explain that by the time the land is plowed, crop planted then harvested then trucked/ trained to the plant, the diesel emissions far exceed the benefits (if any) reaped from ethanol.

the guy went on for almost an hour . this was in 02
  12. Handy

Handy Sunburnt

Oddometer:
    Listen to the man! He knows a thing or two about talking out of his ass!:lol3
  13. JGoody

JGoody Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would gladly pay $1 more a gallon if I could get Ethanol Free. But sadly in So Cal the closest station with E0 is in Arizona!
  14. ragtoplvr

ragtoplvr Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Biomass conversion is also a scam. It takes fuel to cut and transport the biomass. It removes nutrients from the soil that have to be replaced, even hemp for Biomass will have nutrient loss. You can not take take take and never give. The replacement will use energy too. Scam 1, meet Scam 2.

Rod
  15. khager

khager Long timer

Oddometer:

If you made buku's of $$$$ because of the mandate, and had your XXXXX #'s of acres of farmland quadruple in value in the last 5 years then you would understand. :rillaHellll Yessssssss, ethanol babbyyyyy fookin A!
  16. stevie99

Oddometer:
    Scientific Support for Ethanol
    The net energy question always comes up. Does corn ethanol produce more energy than it consumes? The answer is “yes,” according to Science and the U.S. Department of Energy.
    Support for ethanol comes from a 2006 study in the prestigious journal Science which found that, “Ethanol can replace gasoline with significant environmental benefits...
    Professors Dan Kammen and Alex Farrell of the Energy and Resources Group at UC Berkeley, with their students Rich Plevin, Brian Turner and Andy Jones along with Michael O’Hare, a professor in the Goldman School of Public Policy, deconstructed six separate high-profile studies of ethanol. They assessed the studies’ assumptions and then reanalyzed each after correcting errors, inconsistencies and outdated information regarding the amount of energy used to grow corn and make ethanol, and the energy output in the form of fuel and corn byproducts.
    Once these changes were made in the six studies, each yielded the same conclusion about energy: Producing ethanol from corn uses much less petroleum than producing gasoline. “It is better to use various inputs to grow corn and make ethanol and use that in your cars than it is to use the gasoline and fossil fuels directly,” said Kammen, who is co-director of the Berkeley Institute of the Environment and UC Berkeley’s Class of 1935 Distinguished Chair of Energy...
  17. corndog67

corndog67 Banned

Oddometer:
    The sky is falling, the sky is falling. Sure is a lot of misconceptions, outright bullshit, and scared people about the new fuel.

OMG, my gas tank is going to swell on my Ducati. OK, there's about 5 of them on this site. Get a new tank, and don't trip.

OMG, my seals are going to dry out and start leaking. Yeah, right.

OMG, my gas mileage is going to go down. You're still getting 40mpg, correct? It ain't that big of a deal.

OMG, I've got the constitutional right to buy gas without ethanol in it. I'm going to vote for someone else. Who? They are all in the pockets of big business.

You could always buys cans of VP race gas, higher octane, no ethanol, but at about twice the price gas in Europe, maybe $15 or $20 per gallon.

In the big scheme of things, we, as motorcyclists, don't really matter. We are a blip on the screen, nothing more. We ride toys. Some people get really emotionally attached to their bikes, I guess you're shit out of luck if they won't run on the new fuel. But the motorcycle manufacturers will adapt or go out of business. They have to.
  18. joexr

joexr Banned

Oddometer:
    NOT a fan of ethanol . There used to be a TV series about alternative energy where they traveled the country in variously powered vehicles. One particular episode they said there was a GRASS that was easier and cheaper to grow , yet would produce MORE ethanol per acre.
  19. Navy Chief

Navy Chief Long timer

Oddometer:
    Switchgrass......

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=grass-makes-better-ethanol-than-corn

This has been and will continue to be buried by the lobyists for corn based ethanol....
  20. cjack

cjack Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OK. It's still about choice and individual requirements. I think the E10 was pretty well established with a minimal of grumbling. Now E15 comes along. It may be that most of our "toys" can deal with E10, not sure about E15, and fear that Eevenmore will be next. While we have a choice between E10 and E85, it doesn't seem like we will have a choice between E10 and E15. Not acceptable to most and thus the much more focused and vocal grumbling. No surprise.