1981 final drive seals and gaskets

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by bonescustomparts, Feb 26, 2015.

1. bonescustomparts

bonescustomparts Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi guys, I've been looking but having problems finding final drive parts. I need a kit or the seals and gaskets to rebuild my final drive. Any help appreciated.

Thanks
  2. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    I don't know which bike you have. It may not matter. This is the FD from an R100S;

[​IMG]

Look up your bike on Max BMW. make sure you choose the correct fische;http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/index.html

Two things. (1) Final drive parts are sold individually. Most BMW Airhead parts are sold individually. So make up the kit you need. and (2) Special tools and knowledge are needed to take the FD apart and put it back together.

What is the problem?
  3. anderstornvig

anderstornvig Living in L.A., scootin' round CA these days!

Oddometer:
  4. ccmickelson

ccmickelson MonoMania Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you are in the states, Max or Bob's BMW should have any of the parts you need. Look on their online parts fiche.
  5. Solo Lobo

Solo Lobo airhead or nothing Supporter

Oddometer:
    In short, any BMW motorcycle dealer can supply the parts you need.

As far as I know, the aftermarket options are limited or don't exist. (save generic sized bearings..)
  6. bonescustomparts

Oddometer:
    Thank you and sorry about that other thread I started. I didn't think the first one went through.

Thanks again
  7. bonescustomparts

Oddometer:
    The problem is that it is leaking from the inside seal so i figured I would change them all. I will try the links given to me to get the parts. If there is any information about the procedure to do this I would be interested in hearing it. I have a book but it tells me nothing about how to do anything about taking apart the final drive.
  8. JGT

JGT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  9. anderstornvig

Oddometer:
    I happen to be taking one, maybe two, G/S 37/11 final drives part tomorrow. I've never done it before but I should have the tools necessary now -- heatgun / hot plate and two special tools from cycleworks.net. I'll post some pictures in the link I shared above. My question was very similar to yours. It would make sense for you to go over the advice and links I was given (JGTs has some great photos). I was not able to find textbook instructions either.

I will also add, I'm pretty sure I'm not saving money by doing this myself, considering parts/tools/time and the prices for a used final drive on Ebay. At this point I'm just doing it for fun, to learn. And I guess Ebay FDs may also be leaking / defect.
  10. anderstornvig

Oddometer:
    JGT, how has your repair been holding up? Have you had a chance to ride it? Your final assembly, fixing the position of the pinion gear into the ring gear seemed a little, hmm... Did you just tighten it until it seemed about right?
  11. JGT

JGT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have not ridden the bike yet with this rebuilt final drive, as I'm still waiting on a repaired transmission.

What about the assembly seemed off to you? I tightened the pinion nut to the recommended torque (75 ft-lb) and also tightened the cover nuts to recommended torque - since no shims or other spacers were changed, that should get the pinion gear and ring gear in proper relationship. It feels right -- no play, no wiggles, and no binding. I suppose time will tell but it seemed right to me.
  12. bonescustomparts

Oddometer:
    I hear you on saving money. Lol I do it to save money but most of the time I brake even as if I sent it out to be done but the difference being that I have the tools to do it and I know how when im done. I really like that piece of mind knowing how it all works. The guy that I bought the bike from had told me he changed the final drive oil 3 times in the last 2 years and that when he drained the oil it always came out white in color. And when I drained it is was white as well even after sitting for 2 months. I didnt see any signs of water but thats what it looks like. You know that white color when water is mixed with oil. I have had other fibal drive bikes and my oil always drained looking the right color. The oil in the driveshaft area oil was even whiter.

13. bonescustomparts

Oddometer:
    Well I found that the seal between the final drive and the driveshaft is shot. Also the drain plug threads for the driveshaft housing is jacked up and will need to have a helicoil or just drill and rethread to a larger screw.

Attached Files: