Honda preparing Dakar assault

Discussion in 'Racing' started by STROM-CRF450X-990SMT, Jul 2, 2012.

1. neduro

neduro Long timer

Oddometer:
    Contracts with KTM, Kaw, Kaw, respectively, tho I think Steve is open? Anyone know for sure? He rode on the THR team but I don't think has a contract.

Kendall and JCR- who knows? But the rumors at the time were that it was not a simple situation...

This is the best part of the internet- speculation without any need for facts! :lol3 Point remains, it would be great to see some of our talent take one of those seats, sad tho it is that they are open.
  2. too old

too old Keen supporter Supporter

Oddometer:

Yes all great speculation, but without the necessary navigational GPS/Roadbook skills it would be a non starter for the factory teams and not something to be learnt in a few weeks with the actual event as the test.

Nevertheless for the information we have Honda are not intending to replace Sam for the Dakar and are relying on Helder supported by Johnny.

Philipe is another issue and the concensus is that with it being Honda SA and if Philipe is not fit then it will very probably be a South American rider.:deal

Jaun Carlos could be favourite and he has actually retweeted something that may indicate this, although my Spanish only identifies key words not the grammer to go with them, so he could making the coffee for HCR for all I know - but doubt it :lol3

No it wasn't coffee but a general ad for Honda in Bolivia (but they make coffee) still my favourite as a replacement if one is required.:clap

No new news on Philipe though :eek1
  3. neduro

neduro Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bad translation is a close second to a complete lack of information for internet perfection... :lol3

He's proven he's got the stuff, he's proven his navigation, I agree he'd be a great candidate.
  4. bajaboundmoto

bajaboundmoto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On the road here and not sure what all has been said for replacement riders but...
    A few names I've read would be foolish choices at the level of this program and what's needed.

I'd suggest Aussie Jake Smith.
    Fit and ready, good navigator, knows Hondas, been to Dakar before, pissed he didn't get the GHR ride at Dakar.
  5. Safariaddict

Safariaddict Safari 2010 FINISHED

Oddometer:
    Have heard a little whisper the Jake Smith will ride at Dakar to fill in for Sam.
    Looks like they will be taking five riders ?
  6. rmhrc628

rmhrc628 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh the irony of being passed over to get a gig with HRC.

He might need some sleeping pills to contain the excitement and achieve some rest!!
  7. Simosez

Simosez go ride your bike.

Oddometer:
    would also be a highly beneficial situation for HRC as they would unoficially gain added support for Jake through GHR.
  8. rmhrc628

rmhrc628 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Entirely different bikes though. Not much cross over
  9. Sylvia

Sylvia vir sapit qui pauca loqui

Oddometer:
    :evil:clap
  10. Simosez

Simosez go ride your bike.

Oddometer:
    i'm not talking major surgery in the dunes. familiar faces, moral support. i'm sure these things would be counted as beneficial to HRC. nothing wrong with a few extra bodies keeping an eye out for each other.
  11. Carlos M

Carlos M www.motoxplorers.com

Oddometer:
    On Zanol's facebook, fans are commenting asking for more info. 5 min ago there was a reply from whomever manages his facebook:

Not looking good :(

go Zanol!
    :clap:clap:clap:clap
  12. Flood

Flood F5lood.

Oddometer:
    Javier Pizzolito tweeted yesterday that he'll visit Felipe in hospital before flying home today.
  13. doyle

doyle RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer:
    I sent a few DM's to HRC with no reply. Frankly, the lack of news is a little concerning.
  14. doyle

doyle RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer:
    Looks like some more statements were posted via FB... (Translated)

Folks, today is a week since Felipe Zanol suffered an accident while training for the 2013 Dakar Rally and is hospitalized in the United States.

Like you, we look forward to official information of the state of health of our champion. The timing is delicate, so no good news postarmos based only on impressions from friends and family, even reinforcing that data are unofficial.

What we can guarantee is that the pilot is receiving the best possible treatment and has beside his loved ones and important.
  15. xr400r

xr400r Long timer

Oddometer:
    anyone know if there is any JCR/Honda/HRC/Dakar Rally swag to be had out there?
  16. too old

Oddometer:
    Well the dust has somewhat settled on the California week and here has been a level of criticism around with Honda testing so close to the event, however when you look around there are many teams carrying out final testing and it would appear that Morocco alone would be like the London M25 rush hour in parts! :lol3

Technical testing per se appears to be the norm late Nov/ early Dec for many, unless of course you have the developed Orange machine, so perhaps we shouldn't be too hard on Honda and considering what the have achieved in the recent months :clap:clap and the following this has generated.

The accident's, well they happen - pretty shitty luck to have 2 at this stage and let's keep our fingers crossed and prayers for Philipe. I am sure Honda will provide some feedback on the position as soon as they have the chance in returning from the field and are able to sort out what did and is happening :wink:

Sam will be on his way home in a day or so and is hoping to be fit and challenging for podium on what will be his home event - the Abu Dhabi Desert Challenge early in April:clap:clap

No news on Philipe, but let us hope he is recovering and will be back in action soon. :beer:thumb

Good luck to the HRC team for Jan.

Go Helder, Johnny and Javier :clap:clap:clap
  17. mxmum

mxmum Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very well put, good luck to all involved with HRC come January and let's hope all the bad luck is out of the way now, prayers for Felipe. :clap:clap:clap:clap
  18. barrier

barrier Says who?

Oddometer:
    You almost have as much insider knowlege about Sam as MXMUM!:clap
    Will yo be changing your name to 'MXAlmostFatherInLaw' :lol3
  19. too old

Oddometer:
    That's on a different forum :lol3

Call us his unofficial press officers :clap:clap:clap
  20. mtrehy

mtrehy Adventurer