$1 Solution for cleaning face shield/windscreen

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by byron555, Mar 11, 2013.

1. byron555

byron555 Lame Duck Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's right $1...

It occurred to me a while back that LCD monitor/tv spray solutions should work well for cleaning helmet face shields etc. The spray solution is designed for plastic and does not yellow it. Well it does work, and very well, however the prices for this stuff isn't super cheap.

Not until I saw some at Dollar Tree. Everything is $1 there, and I noticed that they stocked portable 30mL spray bottles including a micro-fiber cloth. Now here's the kicker... On my TV/monitors, this stuff works far better than the solutions I have purchased from electronic stores. I'm certain it will be the same result for face shields, but since we are in the throws of winter here in Wisconsin, I have not tried it yet.

Others have probably already posted using LCD monitor spray for cleaning clear plastics, but I have not seen any, so there it is...
  2. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that tip about getting this stuff at a dollar store. I didn't think of that. Even at Wal-Mart that LCD cleaning solution is near ten bucks. I've tried making my own from formulas on the Internet, but none of it worked worth a damn. The store-bought stuff does work.
  3. TorontoBrit

TorontoBrit TorontoBrit

Oddometer:
    It sounds strange, but unscented baby wipes are great. You can get a small pack in a plastic container to keep in your tank bag, works great, and inexpensive!
  4. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Baby wipes may be great for face shields. Thanks for that tip, I'll try them. How do they work on your LCD computer screen?
  5. Speedo66

Speedo66 Transient

Oddometer:
    I use the cheapest spray window cleaner, along with an old flannel shirt, to clean my visor after every ride.

I just retired my 10 year old Arai after a spill, but the visor was clear and unscratched. Even riding at night with headlights coming towards me I couldn't detect any scratches.
  6. manstache

manstache Flounder of ADV

Oddometer:
  7. wyoly

wyoly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    This cleaner is great, works on glass and plastic and cost about 7.50 a can. It is an aviation cleaner and can be found online or at some airport facilities depending on where you live.
  8. El Gato

El Gato Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been using Plexus for years on my face shields and it works very well at cleaning the plastic and giving it a non-stick coating that keeps bugs from sticking to the shield. I have a big spray can at home, and the tiny pump can in a pannier.

However, I recently discovered that Plexus will permanently fog Pinlock visors, so be careful what you put it on. :cry

[​IMG]
  9. fast4d

fast4d Long timer

Oddometer:
    I tried those wet naps for computer monitors they didn't work that well.
  10. Fred Garvin

Fred Garvin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Read the directions on rain-x. If I recall, it is not to be used on plastic.
  11. andrewhtf

andrewhtf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I used plain water and a bit of hand soap, if available.
  12. fifthcircle

fifthcircle Beer Knurd

Oddometer:
    I just lick my shield clean. Free protein! :huh:lol3

I like the baby wipe idea, and will try it. I have two little ones, so we have baby wipes EVERYWHERE! :1drink
  13. jaymboze

jaymboze Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good old Mr.Sheen get my tick.
    Silicon based so it leaves a thin film which is great when riding in the rain, and makes it hard for bugs to stick to..!
    I have been using it on my paintwork and windshield and it works a treat, and does not harm the plastics.
  14. Maoule

Maoule Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Make sure to grab the clean one!:0
  15. El Gato

El Gato Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Also don't use the ones that have lotion on them. :rofl
  16. Cogswell

Cogswell Road General

Oddometer:
    Just to add, as I'm not sure everyone is aware, do not use paper products on your face shield if you want to keep it scratch free.

Soft cloth only. :deal

:freaky

Mike
  17. nuttynu

nuttynu NuttyNu Rider

Oddometer:
    warm water...if that dont work,

HOT water
  18. Seve

Seve Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have found that various optical lens liquid cleaner for glasses, the spray bottle type, and a micro fibre cloth work as well as anything I have ever tried.
  19. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    "Me too"

And for anti-fog, 3M stainless steel polish is the best I've found. Lasts for weeks.

Pete
  20. cognosticator

cognosticator YOU do it

Oddometer:
    We use this at work to clean safety glasses. I buy it by the gallon jug, I put some in a small spray bottle and it works great on my faceshield.. It claims to be fog proof, but it isn't. It is made for glass and plastic lens. Cheap enough for me :evil I have a pinlock and know better than to use it on the pinlock.
    [​IMG]