Airhead Flea Market Discussion Thread.

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by bone13, Jun 12, 2013.

Tags:
  1. bone13

bone13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What bike and side is this carb off of?
    I have a left side float bowl
    part #13111335316
    Fits
    R100S 76-80
    R100RS 76-84
    R100RT 79-84
    R100CS 80-84

New in box $35+ shipping
  2. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    If you plan to use the /6 gas tank then the seat that fits is either a LWB /5 or a /6. When the R100's came out in 1977 they got a longer gas tank so an R100 seat with a /6 tank has a giant gap between tank and seat. Or do you fancy an RS or S bike seat with a cowling? They use the longer /7 tank so same problem.

[​IMG]

This is a Corbin, of course, seat is for a /7 but it is on a bike with a /6 tank. Some riders say they don't mind. :lol3
    ZigzagguzzI likes this.
  3. Kt-88

Kt-88 I like everything.

Oddometer:
    I'm sure I would mind, but I'm also sure I could fix it. Slightly relocating the tank or the seat or both doesn't seem like too big of a deal to me. Although to be honest I like the r100 tanks better also.
  4. Plaka

Plaka Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer:
    You can't get much moving the tank. It hits the frame where the tubes flare out. You can move the seat forward, but then the subframe sticks out the other end--and it's a lot of work because of the under seat contours.
  5. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    Moving either the seat or the tank would not be easy. I would put some design effort into that before pulling the trigger.
  6. Kt-88

Kt-88 I like everything.

Oddometer:
    So far that's one part of what I've always done with motorcycles that hasn't been brought to the BMW party. The biggest deal is the bikes look so wonderful in stock form that I didn't feel any compulsion to modify them. I still don't really, so does that mean I'm looking for a /7 tank and seat/cowl combo? I'm assuming r90s combos are absurd expensive.
  7. Plaka

Oddometer:
    Yes and Yes. But you might find repros. on the seat/cowl. Also the 3/4 seat/cowl takes a different rear tool tray than the double bench seat/cowl.
  8. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    +1 What Plaka says.

The /7 gas tank also holds more gas. The seat cowls and the rest of the parts for those vintage seats are often cheaper that the /5 and /6 stuff on Ebay. I also like the 3/4 seat in that vintage.

It costs a lot of moola to paint this stuff professionally but many riders are competent enough with a rattle can to get by.
  9. brocktoon

brocktoon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Since you're not actually buying or selling anything you should start a separate thread rather than hijack the flea market thread. I come to this thread to spend money I don't have. Questions about good/bad years can be discussed endlessly (and have been), and screw with the signal to noise ratio.

Also, I'm in Sonoma County too (Santa Rosa). Let me know if you need any help.
    Muttly likes this.
  10. Beater

Beater The Bavarian Butcher

Oddometer:
    Good luck, I had two of those in my basement ... had to give them away. I have a complete RT faring too. All the kids ae making 'cafe' bikes ... they've become a dime a dozen.
    zenandtheartof likes this.
  11. kbasa

kbasa big big energy

Oddometer:
    Yeah, we all love to talk about a good deal. But when that conversation is added to the flea market thread, it really makes it hard to see what's being offered up for sale.

So, if you've got comments about a post Over There, put them In Here and link to the post.

Easy peasy and it'll help everyone sell their stuff better.

Thanks.
  12. crazydrummerdude

crazydrummerdude Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer:
    Now that we have a discussion thread, I can reply to this:

Clean it up and take better pictures. I've sold 2 Windjammers for $150 and $100 respectively and another no-name fairing for about $500 in trade for other airhead parts.

Clean part and clean pictures. I'm telling you.
  13. Plaka

Oddometer:
    With the stock rear end that could be quite the sleeper.
  14. kbasa

kbasa big big energy

Oddometer:
    :thumb

Beauty.
  15. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    Originally posted by OD650;

I'm begining to hate this bike...

Need a trans output shaft for a /6, I don't need the bearings or gears just the shaft due to my torque wrench not clicking and the threads disapearing....:baldy

It's not the bikes fault if you have broken or faulty tools. That nut gets something like 75 ft/lbs doesn't it? I would think the flange and nut could tolerate over a hundred. How could you exceed this enough to damage the threads? I'm not trying to be too ruff on you. Yes I have made my share of mistakes. But, were you drinking excessively the day you worked on this? Just not paying attention? Will you now slow down enough to take care not to break so many things?

Hope you find your part, sorry I don't have one. They do show up on Ebay but the ones sold as single units can be not so cheap. The only way to get one cheap there is buy broken boxes and strip them. Then you have more parts to sell, see?
  16. kbasa

kbasa big big energy

Oddometer:
    It's easy to reference a post in the other thread. Just click the post number in the upper right of the post, which opens it in a new window. Copy the URL out of your address bar and drop it into the post in this thread.

:D :thumb
  17. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    I tried that. I got a URL but I would like the post I am referencing to be quoted. I have done this by typing in the
  18. brocktoon

brocktoon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Like this, disston? If so, just go to the original thread, click "quote" underneath the post, and copy everything in the text box. Then come back here and paste it into a new reply.

P.S. If the price on this drops a few $k I will be very, very tempted. Not that it isn't fairly priced, just out of my price range.
  19. Plaka

Oddometer:
    How do you direct all interested parties to your new post in the discussion thread? Easy enough to PM the person you are replying to and give a url to the new discussion post, but what about interested lurkers?

Methinks you need to do at least one very concise post in the FM thread referencing the post in the Discussion thread. Then the discussion can go from there and anyone interested can join in.

So you might reply to a FM post with: "I've opened a discussion on this here___________" or perhaps: "I've made some comments on this here ______________".

Nice and short to minimize the clutter factor and sufficient to create a fork in the thread with the comments and discussion taking the 'Dicussion' road.
  20. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    OK, that'll work. Thanks Brocktoon.