The Official 2013 F1 Thread. Spoilers possible!

Discussion in 'Racing' started by g®eg, Nov 27, 2012.

1. g®eg

g®eg world's fastest drone

Oddometer:
    changes for 2013 in pictures: LINK

[​IMG]
  2. g®eg

Oddometer:
    in Sid's words: "what has been learned.....cannot be unlearned..."

AMuS looks at what we might see in 2013

I
    gallery LINK

[​IMG]
  3. g®eg

Oddometer:
    interesting report on the passive systems LINK

4. g®eg

Oddometer:
  5. g®eg

Oddometer:
    Regulation changes for the 2013 season

DRS use
    For safety reasons, in 2013 drivers are only be able to utilise the Drag Reduction System (DRS) overtaking aid within the designated DRS zones during practice and qualifying. Previously drivers had been free to deploy the system as they pleased in these sessions.

Active double-DRS systems outlawed
    In 2012 Mercedes developed a clever concept whereby air was channelled through an opening in the rear-wing endplate when DRS was activated and then fed through the car to help stall the front wing. For 2013 active drag reducing systems involving the DRS, such as this, have been banned.

Stepped noses
    Teams have the option of tidying up the aesthetics of their cars in 2013 with the introduction of new regulations aimed at improving the look of ‘ugly’ stepped noses first seen in 2012. A small piece of laminate - nicknamed a ‘modesty' or 'vanity' panel - may now be used to smooth the nose section.

Crash testing
    To make F1 cars ever safer, tougher new tests on roll structures and the survival cell have been introduced for 2013. Furthermore, every chassis that a team produces, as opposed to just one, will now be subject to a static load test of the survival cell.

Curfews
    The team personnel curfew - which prevents team members from being in the paddock during specified periods - has been extended from six to eight hours on Thursday nights for 2013. The number of exceptions allowed during a season has also been reduced from four to two.

Front wing tests
    For 2013 front wing deflection tests will be more stringent to lessen the possibility of flexible bodywork being used to enhance aerodynamic performance.

Minimum weight
    The minimum weight of the car and driver has been increased from 640kg to 642kg to compensate for the slightly increased weight of Pirelli's 2013 tyres. The mandatory weight distribution has also been adjusted accordingly.

Force majeure
    The ‘force majeure’ allowance relating to when a car stops on the track during qualifying has been deleted from the regulations. For 2013 any car that stops on the track must have enough fuel for the mandatory one-litre minimum sample plus an additional amount proportional to the amount of fuel that would have been used in returning to the pits (determined by the FIA).

Qualifying
    Not an actual regulation change, but as the official 2013 entry list comprises 22 cars - two fewer than in 2012 - six cars rather than seven will now be eliminated at the end of both Q1 and Q2.

Championship entry fees
    Championship entry fees have been revised. Red Bull, as constructors’ champions, were required to pay US$500,000 plus US$6000 for each point gained in the 2012 World Constructors’ Championship to enter the 2013 championship. Every other team was required to pay a basic fee of US$500,000 plus US$5000 for each point scored in 2012.

..... only 66 days left :clap
  6. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting the rules changes in a neat and tidy format! :thumb

I have a feeling the FIA will be chasing shadows when it comes to moveable body parts. I think the technology will stay ahead of their testing at least for this season, perhaps longer. I keep wondering whether the concept of flexible panels will be extended to more body parts, perhaps even the entire chassis in some manner?

Helmut Marko reinforces his position as a relentless ashhole.

After Alonso delivers what is generally regarded as a peerless season, Marko criticizes him for allegedly being distracted. Worse, much worse, Marko take a gratuitous shot at Mark Webber, labeling him a choker. Way to work for the entire team, Helmut! And of course there's his obligatory wank over Vettel, who must have a spooge rag ready when Marko's around. I wonder if he flinches when it lands on him?
  7. g®eg

Oddometer:
    he really is a prick isn't he?
    I think Webber should just kick him in the balls...
  8. g®eg

Oddometer:
    video version of changes....

<object id="flashObj" classid="clsid:D

<embed src="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f9?isVid=1" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" flashvars="videoId=2084364683001&linkBaseURL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.auto-motor-und-sport.de%2Fformel-1%2Ff1-regeln-2013-technisches-reglement-6367771.html%3Fbcpid%3D775256347001%26bctid%3D2084364683001&playerID=67000508001&playerKey=AQ~~,AAAAD5ndabE~,9xTjtgFh42fA6bobX243K5IhZOKd4Jnz&domain=embed&dynamicStreaming=true" base="http://admin.brightcove.com" name="flashObj" seamlesstabbing="false" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" swliveconnect="true" allowscriptaccess="always" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash" height="412" width="486"></object>
  9. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    Was there a rule last season which prevented teams from covering the step nose? The whole thing confuses me.
  10. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    A reporter claims that the 2014 V-6 engine sounds good.
  11. g®eg

Oddometer:
    Will Buxton claims similar

there's a lot of gushing like schoolgirls in the motor press right now..... I guess that's what happens when they have too much time off & nothing to write about

:thumb
  12. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    Good link, thanks. Buxton implies that the engine note is similar to the current GP2 car (the link takes you to a drive by at top revs of a 2012 GP2 engine.)
  13. g®eg

Oddometer:
    in detail: F1 seats....

LINK

even something so mundane is pretty cool......

[​IMG]
  14. g®eg

Oddometer:
    Ferrari’s new car will look similar to the 2012 model, team boss Stefano Domenicali has admitted.
    Indeed, that will be the trend up and down the grid this season, as teams handle the complicated transition to the radical new V6 engine rules for 2014.
    "From an aesthetic point of view," Domenicali said when asked about the 2013 Ferrari, "it won’t be very different from the 2012 car."
    But La Gazzetta dello Sport quoted him as saying there are "interesting developments" in the exhaust area, while Ferrari is now pushing "the boundary of the regulations" harder than before.
    2013, Domenicali admitted, will be arguably tougher than ever before.
    "Since the budgets and manpower are limited by the rules," he is quoted by Tuttosport, "this is a very delicate task."
    He is referring to the need to focus almost simultaneously this year on winning the 2013 world championship with a 2012-like set of rules, and preparing for the all-new turbo era.
    "I’m also assuming that some teams in the summer of 2013 will abandon the development of their (2013) project or severely restrict it, if the title is out of reach.
    "Since I assume that we will be fighting for the title, this is not a possibility for us," said Domenicali.
  15. A. T. T-W

A. T. T-W Can't be bothered.

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

I still think that Hamilton's move was with the 2014 rule changes in mind, have a year under the old relatively stable rules and get to know the team, a strategic move if you like.

Trouble is, it looks like Brawn is on the way out and that's likely to destroy any chances of stability this year.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/21143847

Given that this year's car and team will have been conceived and built around Brawn's direction, changing at this stage can only disrupt things in a year when much of the focus will be upon the big changes to come next season.

There seems to be something of a lemming mentality in the M-B boardroom.
  16. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    I just don't get the feeling that Mercedes is a well-run operation. Somewhere in that org chart you need to fit Lauda, who has also been invited to poke his nose into things.

Lewis may emerge from his contract a wealthy but sorrowful man.
  17. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    I thought Bernie was a sharp businessman?

That's crazy.
  18. g®eg

Oddometer:
  19. g®eg

Oddometer:
    and the prancing horse will be along soon as well...

[​IMG]
  20. g®eg

Oddometer:
    E-21 breaks cover...

[​IMG]