KTM 690 enduro/SMC exhaust thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by greengoose, Jul 20, 2008.

1. greengoose

greengoose n00b

Oddometer:
    I know a lot of us want to get rid of the stock boat anchor before before it burns us, melts all our gear, and catches the bike on fire.
    Its getting harder and harder to find stuff in the mega 690 threadfest so I thought we could use a place for questions, answers, reviews, pictures, and advice about aftermarket pipes for the 690's.
    Specifically if anyone in the know from FMF, wings, or leovince has any info on avaliblity and need for EFI mapping I would love to here it

[​IMG]
  2. crankshaft

crankshaft Guns are for pussies

Oddometer:
    Good idea! FMF looks promising!
  3. Dewtwo

Dewtwo old trail rider! Supporter

Oddometer:
    YES, pipe and mapping knowledge please. My dealer will be worthless in helping to get this kind of info. Maybe some of you guys accross the pond have a leg up on this stuff (maybe filters too) since you've had these bad ass thumpers for alot longer!
  4. BigIron

BigIron Tenured Prof - Leghump U.

Oddometer:
    I too would be grateful for any information. I just ordered an FMF Ti yesterday, and my dealer claims a remap is required. Not sure I'm buying it though. I'd rather hear it from you guys.
  5. gacksnabbit

gacksnabbit Commander

Oddometer:
    Armpit of America, North East NJ. SHOOT ME NOW
    Waiting on my Leo Vince Slip-on. Will post pics and impressions as soon as it bolt it on.
  6. greengoose

greengoose n00b

Oddometer:
    Im thinking about the leovince myself do you know if it has a spark arestor
  7. greengoose

greengoose n00b

Oddometer:
  8. gacksnabbit

gacksnabbit Commander

Oddometer:
    Armpit of America, North East NJ. SHOOT ME NOW
    you know... I think I forgot to ask!
  9. crankshaft

Oddometer:
    I spoke with the salesman that sold me the 690 today and he's much more willing to get the tough questions answered. I should know more about the details of the warranty tonight, or tomorrow. Since I'm optimistic that I'll keep my warranty, I ordered a Supertrapp ISD2 quiet core today:clap

I'll slip it on and do a dyno check to be sure its not running lean but I'll do a before and after session with the stock muffler to be sure. I cored my X exhaust and never remapped, so I'm sure the EFI will compensate to a certain degree.

Anyone here have access to the Akro map?
  10. Dewtwo

Dewtwo old trail rider! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm concerned about remapping requirements. Seems to me these pipe builders would have the remapping issue definitively worked out and dialed in for their pipe. After all, they should have done extensive testing and have dyno info for us!
  11. woodsrider

woodsrider .........................

Oddometer:
    Dennis:

Relative to EFI remapping, I posed this question to the service head of a major European KTM dealership when I ordered the Akrapovic silencer. I would suspect that this advice would apply to systems by FMF, Leo Vince, et.al.

His response was that remapping was not absolutely necessary, but (in the case of Akra) it would increase the HP and torque slightly. For me, as long as the bike delivers power equivalent to (or slightly better than) stock, I'm good with that. For my type of riding (gravel roads, primitive dirt roads, etc.), more horsepower is somewhat irrelevant -- just more spewed gravel...hehe. I've lost a few pounds and gotten rid of the "camp stove" heat in the process.

His instructions were to mount the new silencer, start the bike when cold and let it idle for 15 minutes with NO throttle input to let the EFI sort itself out.

Here's some close-ups of the Akra unit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. crankshaft

Oddometer:
    Thanks woods for the info. I'm getting tired of the sky is falling crowd,so its nice to hear some sensible comment. The performance on the 690 is great and like you, I just want to get the heat away from my leg:lol3
  13. greengoose

greengoose n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting woodsrider thats good information. Im also looking for heat/weight reduction more than added performance
  14. bigborefan

bigborefan I know a lot, and what I don't know, I lie about.

Oddometer:
    That is a sexy pipe, but for a cool grand it should be!

Same here, I just want to lose some weight and heat. If it gets more power that is cool too.
  15. trailtrick

trailtrick goat trail rider

Oddometer:
    Did you have a part number for the euro taillight ,o were i can get 1 ,thanks javier
  16. JohnnieWinona

JohnnieWinona Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My Akra was just delivered from Germany. An hour later it was installed. i am happy that it wasn't that loud. i only rode it for 10 minutes or so, and it ran well. How can you tell if it is running too lean?????

Thanks Woodrider for the information.
  17. mfaoro

mfaoro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am in the lose heat and weight category too - but - I have one more concern: keeping the noise down.

I realize that any exhaust I buy will be louder than stock. What I dont understand is how much louder. I know that is subjective but what are we talking ballpark? 10% louder, 25% louder? I am only interested in the slip on - not replacing the pipe as well.

My first aftermarket exhaust (Termi) went on my Ducati S2R 800. I love it but I was surprised by the sheer volume added. I am trying to get an idea of what I may be getting myself into when I change the KTM.

Thanks,
    Michael
  18. mfaoro

mfaoro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How much louder (ballpark) is it than the stocker? 10% 25% Stock=hear it 1 yard away, akra=one block away?
  19. JohnnieWinona

JohnnieWinona Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It is louder then the stocker, but...that was a very quiet can/cat. It is hard to say, because the Akra doesn't sound like a sewing machine. The Akra is throatier, at idle and not wide throttle, quieter then my 05- 450exc. It isn't aggressively loud, akin to the 950 w/akras, with the inserts in. i was pleasantly surprised, that it is as quiet as it is. The weight difference is pretty amazing, again much like the difference with the stock vs akra on the 950. After riding the 6.9 for 10 min, i turned it off, got off the bike, and touched the titanium of the akra. With the stocker, my hand would have stuck and fried.
  20. JohnnieWinona

JohnnieWinona Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i did as Woodsrider and Sommer suggested, idle for 15min, etc...i then rode pave up to about 10,000' pushing the 6.9 pretty hard. i ran great. When i returned home 30min later, the Akra was hot to the touch, you didn't want to leave your hand on it. In the outlet it was just a little dark, so if anything it could be a little rich, i'm going to hold off a while on the remapping.