K & N oil filters.

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Banjax, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Banjax

Banjax Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone here use these oil filters?.
    They aren't common in the UK,but i want to fit one as they use a 17mm socket to tighten the canister and due to "issues",the usual tool doesn't fit.
    The K & N site isn't clear,but do you get the canister plus a disposable filter element with the kit and then simply buy the spare filters through a K & N stockist?.
    I've tried emailing the UK importers with the questions but they appear to be as useful as tits on fish,so i thought i would ask here and would also like to hear of any personal experiences with them.TIA.
  2. Guzz

Guzz Gutless wonder

Oddometer:
    I've used them several times. Nice filter, a bit on the higher cost side. But it's just like any other common oil filter, you replace the whole thing as a complete unit.
  3. the_menno

the_menno Forever Newb

Oddometer:
    I've been using them on my 1150 for years. No complaints to speak of.
  4. SCQTT

SCQTT Zwei Kolben

Oddometer:
    100% disposable. Not the cartridge replacment type.

The nut on the bottom is very nice. They also (or did have) a tab that was pre-drilled for safety wire. (cool & handy)

K&N makes all their own airfilters, but I just think they just source oil filters made to their spec in China.

Personally I do not think the filters are anything special, beyond the aforementioned (albeit, nice) touches.
  5. rattlesnakejake

rattlesnakejake Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You can achieve the same result by epoxying a nut to your oil filter of choice for when the time comes to take it off...that being said I've used the K&N filter for the past 5-6 oil changes because I don't want to screw around epoxying a nut on the bosch filter ahead of time.
  6. BerndM

BerndM Shiftless One

Oddometer:
    I've been using them (KN-164) for a couple of years now. I went with them because because there was NO WAY I was going to buy a huge honkin' filter wrench for $50 when any 17mm wrench, crescent or pliers would work fine to replace it.
    Call me cheap (and smart IMO).:wink:
  7. the_menno

the_menno Forever Newb

Oddometer:
    There's no shortage of cheap and smart inmates here. Considering how much BMW charges for... well... everything, being cheap and smart is the way to go!

Not wanting to hijack this thread, but has anyone tried the Perf-form filters? They're cheaper than the K&N I believe, but unfortunately they don't have the hex-nut.

www.perf-form.com/

P.S. I don't work for nor sell Perf-form by the way, I just saw them one day and am curious about them.
  8. RobStar

RobStar Still On Training Wheels

Oddometer:
    I used the KN-164 on my F800GS and now on my R1200GS. The filters cost $14.95 at Cycle Gear but if you get coupons or buy on their monthly 10% off sale you save a little.

There was no way I was going to buy that big ass filter tool for $50 and carry it around. If you change your oil ten times over the course of 50k miles that wrench adds $5 to each oil change. The 17mm nut on the end is why I like them.

I've been changing my oil and filter every 3000 miles and also switching to synthetic at 6000 but that's another story / thread :puke1

The cost of filters and oil is insignificant in the scheme of things considering over the course of 3000 miles at about $50 cost per change it comes out to .016 cents per mile and gas is about .06 cents per mile.
  9. Banjax

Banjax Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that,didn't appreciate that it was a totally disposable filter.
    That makes them spendy over here,despite the 17mm nut thing.
    Surprised to read that the correct oil filter removal tool cost $50 in the US.
    The UK price is around half that.
    Epoxy seems the way to go;now all i have to do is to get my hands on a couple of large nuts.:eek1
  10. Melrone

Melrone Long timer

Oddometer:
    thats the only oil&air filter I use in all my bikes.They are cheaper than the stock units.As far as I'm concernde all oil filters are dispoasable.The air filters is a one time buy.Just remember to clean themm.
    03 1150GSA/Ural
    77R100/7:evil
  11. (none)

(none) poser

Oddometer:

It's only $50 if you choose to pay that... Go to any local auto parts store, grab a toyota truck filter, get the $5 cup wrench that fits it and you are good to go...
  12. SCQTT

SCQTT Zwei Kolben

Oddometer:
    Yep......I think I paid $20 for mine, but it was some billet aluminum/ black anodized version that had a nut, accepted a 3/8 drive, and had a great little rubber O-ring for gripping with your fingers and spinning it quickly.

The best part?....It somehow magically fits both the 1200 & 1150 filters! The stock BMW wrenches do not do this.

$20 was a killer deal for that, plus I liked that I only have to have one wrench!
  13. Mituk

Mituk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OK, I know this thread is not about filter wrenches, but I'm not sure why everyone seems to have a problem with filter wrenches . . . I picked up a $4 filter wrench at O'Reilly's auto parts, cut it down to fit, and it works great. Changed LOTs of filters with it. 3/8" ratchet fits right on it . . . . hasn't failed me yet . . .
  14. jeffs900s

jeffs900s Prophet of Doom

Oddometer:
    I think the filter wrench I got from Nippy Normans was only $14. It fits on the $7 Purolator Gold and/or Wix filters too.
  15. scooteraug02

scooteraug02 Dog Rancher

Oddometer: