Diners, Restaurants, Dives & Good Eats...

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by swingset, Mar 26, 2010.

1. swingset

swingset Got the knack.

Oddometer:
    One of my favorite things to do on a bike is to ride to a good restaurant or diner, somewhere hopefully that's near or at the end of a good road.

So, I thought it might be a neat idea to share some of our favorite Central places to eat and the areas they are in, even sharing some roads that lead there for day-trips, or to incorporate them into rides or routes.

Doesn't have to be fancy, or epic, just a neat place with good food, good prices, or just a nice stop on a great twisty.

So, here's a couple of my favorites....

In Wooster, Ohio north of Amish Country, there's a great little Hungarian Pastry place called Tulipan. Great breakfasts, awesome pastries, friendly staff...and a nice location downtown. It's a great ride from the south to get there, lots of scenic rolling farmland and good motorcycle roads.
    http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=wooster+ohio+hungarian&fb=1&gl=us&hq=hungarian&hnear=wooster+ohio&cid=0,0,12053662087328893159&ei=XwKtS5XSOoH58AbYvtDcCw&sa=X&oi=local_result&ct=image&resnum=1&ved=0CAcQnwIwAA

In Marietta OH, Las Trancas Mexican Restaurant is a good stop. Ride SR26 or SR555/676 south for great riding, and stop here for a great mexican dinner that won't break your wallet. Good mixed drinks, and a nice staff.
    http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=wooster+ohio+hungarian&fb=1&gl=us&hq=hungarian&hnear=wooster+ohio&cid=0,0,12053662087328893159&ei=XwKtS5XSOoH58AbYvtDcCw&sa=X&oi=local_result&ct=image&resnum=1&ved=0CAcQnwIwAA

In Utica, OH where I grew up, there's a cool little restaurant called Nick's. It's right downtown, in a shop that used to be a hardware store where I worked my first job. They have great subs, neat atmosphere, and a cool little bar. Nice owners, and from here head east on SR62 to some great riding past Martinsburg.

In Amish Country, just off the touristy corridor of Berlin OH is a good family style restaurant, Farmstead. It's where the locals like to eat, and although it's a big place, they do home recipes and have great prices. Their pie is awesome, best I've had locally and they use real lard in the crust. Good meals to be had here, and you're in the heart of scenic Amish country, any backroad here is beautiful.

These are just a few of the ones I like and visit often, share up if you have a favorite....I'd love to have a great list for my travels in the heartlands.
  2. Radical Rick

Radical Rick Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It's probably closer to a dive than a castle, but...if your ever taking a tour of the Door County Penninsula head through Sturgeon Bay, Fish Creek, and all of the tourist traps, you have to go a long way to beat the Tenderloin Sandwich at the Greystone Castle.
    http://www.greystonecastledoorcounty.com/

My next favorite, if your running the St.Croix or Mississippi River scenic routes, stop at Muddy Waters in Prescott,WI for the best Hickory Smoke Prime Rib...I'm making myself hungry!

www.muddywatersbarandgrill.com

It's a blues/artsy bar with kick ass food!
  3. Castle

Castle Red Cloud Slept Here

Oddometer:

You forgot PIE! :patch And Peggy Sue's in New Castle. Not that the food or atmosphere is that great, but the PIE is good and there are nice roads nearby. :ricky

Here's a great place for breakfast or lunch (they close at 2), just off 16 at Church St & Granville Rd in Newark: Souper Sammie's. The Haminator sandwich is great and the soups are unique. Map here. Unfortunately, you still have a ways to get to great riding. :cry
  4. swingset

swingset Got the knack.

Oddometer:
    I figured someone will mention it. I like their pie but I think the Farmstead I listed above is the best I've eaten in a restaurant, it's that fresh lard crust...it's great stuff.
  5. Castle

Castle Red Cloud Slept Here

Oddometer:
    I agree. There are better places than Peggy Sue's, but none of them are an Ohio ADVrider tradition - yet. :D
  6. SmashingPumpkins

SmashingPumpkins Dinah-Mo-Humm

Oddometer:
    Excellent thread. Here are a few of my favorites here in Michigan:

Paula's Cafe in Indian River. MAP . Breakfast and Lunch. Right on the MCCCT (Michigan Cross Country Cycle Trail) and on a few GLDS rides. Fantastic farmer's omelet.

Whippy Dip on Old 27 south of Wolverine. MAP Good place for an ice cream break and gas next door. The link says closed but maybe that's just because it's seasonal.

The Bluff's Black Lake/Mountain Onaway. MAP Neat old time bar/eatery overlooking Black Lake.

Whiskey Creek Lodge Custer/Baldwin area. MAP Good eats/ice cream. In the heart of some great DualSport riding. Again GLDS rides. You could knock around in this area forever checking out grassy 2 tracks and seasonal roads.

Lake Superior Brewing Grand Marais--U.P. MAP Good eats---the fish is excellent. In the U.P. Very scenic country. Try a trip over to Rainbow Lodge or Crisp Point lighthouse.
  7. dirtphoenix

dirtphoenix from the ashes...

Oddometer:
    Hmm...I didn't know there was a Grand Marais in the UP as well. I've been to Grand Marais, MN on the north shore of Lake Superior. If you head up the Gunflint Trail out of town (Hwy 12) it turns to dirt twisties and you eventually get to Trail Center http://www.trailcenterlodge.com/ which is an outfitter that has an amazing lil restaurant. It's our first stop when we get off the water up there...

In IA (where I'm from originally) I'd have to recommend the Otho Pub in Otho, IA http://local.yahoo.com/info-16580375-otho-pub-otho They have the most amazing loaded hashbrowns I've ever had! Definitely a dumpy-looking lil place...and I didn't ride when I lived there, so I can't enlighten you about any routes. But Iowa is covered in dirt and gravel roads and you can make an interesting drive out of just about anywhere.

Further north on Hwy 169 and you get to Humboldt, IA which has Rustix, a restaurant in the oldest building in town. It has a beautiful bar and gorgeous exposed limestone walls and huge, comfy booths. The food was great and it has some of the lowest prices I've seen...even for IA. I haven't been there in a couple of years, but it used to be a fave when I lived there.

And, finally, the best is last. Humboldt's twin city is Dakota City (if you get on Main St in Humboldt and keep heading east it turns into Main St, Dakota City) and they have a BBQ joint to die for. In the summer you can smell the smoked meat from blocks away. It's called Vinny's BBQ and it's a lil family affair...so not the best if there's a huge group. But the prices are low and the burnt tips melt in your mouth. I make a point to get there anytime I'm back in IA...
  8. gkgeiger

gkgeiger Every ride is an ADV

Oddometer:
    Swingset,
    The place I like for breakfast in Berlin is Boyd and Worthman's, right on 39 just west of 62. Great home made sausage, big thick slice of ham, sausage gravy, great home fries, home made breads, and a sweet peanut butter spread. My wife likes the pancakes. I always get the BW special, eggs meat potatoes w/gravy home made wheat bread and coffee. Go there a couple times a month all year long. During riding season I ride the BMW with the wife.

P.S. I love the theme of this thread. I love to ride to a good eatin spot.
  9. dragoon

dragoon I'm the REAL Dingo Joe

Oddometer:

Great idea :thumb

Tulipan is a kickbutt little place, discovered it by accident, I think I was waiting for Coccia House to open. Speaking of, some of the best pizza I've ever had.
    http://cocciapizza.com/

Castle, Souper Sammies is a really good spot also :thumb

I'm just here to verifiy all the entries :lol3 I'll have to give this some thought.
  10. SmashingPumpkins

SmashingPumpkins Dinah-Mo-Humm

Oddometer:
    Going to add one of my local favorites---Oye Amigos in Marshall MI. Map Original location opening in Battle Creek in the early 60's. Super authentic Mexican food. Not your red sauce, TexMex type dishes normally found at Mexican restaurants. The enchiladas come with a gray sausage gravy that is something else. It's a nice place to drop by on the street bike.
  11. exoff-roadgoat

exoff-roadgoat Will ride for food

Oddometer:
    M-22 starts just north of Manistee in lower Michigan and weaves its way for over a hundred miles along the lakeshore north to Northport and back down to Traverse City. There are more than a half a dozen towns that all have a good restaurant or two to brag about. Glen Arbor is my favorite and Arts Bar is the locals hangout, or whats left of them. Everything on the menu is good IMO. Glen Arbor gets real busy when the FIBs are in town so go in the off season. Glen Arbor has music stuff going on all summer too. OBTY with the exception of Frankfort, law enforcement is seldom if ever seen along M-22. There is alot of exploring on the side roads along 22 also that would favor dual-sporters.
  12. bikeridermark

bikeridermark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Scioto Ribber, in Portsmouth, Ohio. GREAT ribs and steak, all cooked outside over a hickory fire. Get your choice of potato and creamy or vinegar coleslaw. Chase it all with a cold beer.
    Afterwards, go walk or ride the floodwall murals. Incredible artwork.
  13. exoff-roadgoat

Oddometer:
    I went through Portsmouth a couple of years ago. I was totally blown away by the murals along the flood wall. I'll stop and eat next time.
  14. Utah Bones

Utah Bones Gas X ready!

Oddometer:
    By far the best food I've ate was traveling in Wisconsin.:thumb
  15. exoff-roadgoat

Oddometer:
    :ricky:dgI was out for a ride yesterday and stopped at the Depot in Marne Mich. As the name implies its an old RR depot. Everything on the menu is good but the Borrito I had was mucho tasty. You can go south from Marne on some nice hilly twisties to get to Leonard Av. which is the only decent cruising road between GR and the lakeshore. Marne is also the home of Berlin Raceway which has great racing on Sat nights. The Depot serves breakfast and lunch only and is closed on Sundays.:cry
  16. MetalBender

MetalBender Banned

Oddometer: