New Gaerne G-Midland Adventure Boot

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by Brtp4, Jul 27, 2011.

1. SantaRosa

SantaRosa I'd rather be lost

Oddometer:
    Got Gaerne!
    Arrived today, tried them on and they fit perfect. I'm an 11 and 11 EU46 fit perfect. Comfortable while walking around the house will be wearing them tomorrow, suppose to rain. Glad I waited for these. Thanks for your help Bp!
  2. J.L. Poe

J.L. Poe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    thanks Brian

still wanting to know about how you guys are so fortunate :evil
  3. Brtp4

Brtp4 Powdercoat it. Supporter

Oddometer:
    We are fortunate because I have been in this industry a long, line time, including 5 years living in Italy, working for a boot company, nearby all the other boot companies. I worked for the largest one, rode with the owner of another, and had dinner at the house of a 3rd. Doing that among competitors was a little hard to manage, but I pulled it off and made some great contacts.

Those experiences taught me a lot about how boots (and other gear) is made, how it works, and when they are worth getting. I absolutely love working with product, testing it, cutting it apart, etc.

In this case, we are part of the product design feedback loop for Gaerne, and have been discussing a new ADV boot with them for two years. We had the prototype from Italy for quite a while. Like all Gaerne boots, we like it, especially the quality and fit. There is a lot to discuss, so in the interest of saving time typing, if you are interested in it, PM me your name and phone #, and I will call you to discuss.

BP
  4. J.L. Poe

J.L. Poe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Brian,

Thanks so much for your time you put forth in your reply.

It was refreshing, honest, and very helpful in me seeing what's important to you And your company

Very grateful, and yes I'll be in touch sir!

Joseph
  5. hanksmybuddy

hanksmybuddy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hell, I reckon I need me a pair of these new fangled boots. If you can come off that price to say $200 I'll take a pair....size 91/2. Let me know when I should expect them.:happay
  6. HayBailEY

HayBailEY Groovy

Oddometer:
    Nerd alert:

I have the other brand adventure boot that squeek incessantly! Rides me up a wall. I've tried the silicone sprays and mink oils to no avail. Will these Midland boots help me with the following Shaolin task:

"When you can walk the rice paper without tearing it, then your steps will not be heard." -Master Kan
  7. J.L. Poe

J.L. Poe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Pm sent Brian
  8. J.L. Poe

J.L. Poe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Would love a ride report sir!

Specifically how they shift. :ear
  9. Bravo21

Bravo21 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great thread and very timely for me. I'm ready to pull the trigger on a pair of dual sport boots and these G-Midlands look like they will fill the role well.

Brian, have you had a chance to wear these much? I'm curious about the break-in period. I get the impression that these are similar in many ways to the Alpinestars Scout. You talk a lot about Gearne boots' comfort and relatively no break-in period, such as in the product descriptions for the Balance and G-Adventures on the Atomic site. Do the G-Midlands follow that trend? Just based on the pictures, they look like a more comfortable boot than the Scouts out of the box.

If you've had a chance to break in these boots, how are they for general walking and light hiking?

Thanks.
    Dave
  10. Brtp4

Oddometer:
    They do not really require a break in period, and are usable out of the box. AFA fit and comfort, I feel they are more comfortable than the Scouts, the foot chamber fits well, they are easy to walk in (all day), and they have no width issues. I think they would work well for the bikes you have listed in your sig.

I will again reiterate that Gaerne's fit better, are more comfortable, to a greater %age of wearers than anything else out there.

BP
  11. OldTomRides

OldTomRides Still on two wheels

Oddometer:
    I know these are new, so you don't have an answer by experience for this particular boot, but in general do the Gaerne boots allow your feet to get hot in the really warm summer months? I've read on other forums about Gaerne boots and how comfortable they are. So what's your experience been in mid-August?

Thanks!
  12. RhodeHazard

RhodeHazard ex halligan hooligan Supporter

Oddometer:
    AtomicMoto,

I have been using a pair of Gortex Kevlar steel toe Urban Search and Rescue boots for my offroad boots and have been looking to replace these with a dual sport motorcycle oriented boot.

Just purchasing the Gaerne SG10 boot, I have not found myself to be comfortable with the lack of feedback from the ankle and toe box when braking and shifting.

Though the protection that the SG10 offers is very good, I am considering how much protection I am willing to trade for control.

With your experience with Gaerne's new Midland boot, how would it's protection level versus feedback level from the ankle and toe box compare with the SG10?
  13. Brtp4

Oddometer:
    I get all the easy ones......

I have not tried these in mid August, but have used the Balance Oileds. IMO any waterproof boot is less "airy" than a non-wp boot. But answering your question in any sort of quantitative way is very, very difficult. I can perceive a difference from non-waterproof to waterproof boots, but I can't tell the difference amongst boots with WP liners, even on my Gore-Tex footwear.

My suggestion is, if warm weather comfort is a priority...choose a non-waterproof boot. There is a penalty for this in the rain, but for Spokane (which is like Bend) it may be a worthwhile trade.

Hope that helps.

BP
  14. Brtp4

Oddometer:
    RhodeHazard,

Bummed to hear that you do not like the feedback from the SG10s. Because of their mechanical hinge, they are probably the best MX boot out there for comfort, flex, feel.

Anyway.....SG10s to Midlands...night and day difference. The SG10 is much, much stiffer, heavier, more supportive. The Midland is much lighter, more flexible, and easy to walk in.

In general, any conversation comparing MX boots with DS boots is extraordinarily subjective. We try to balance understanding the customer, pushing safety, and offering meaningful info. Perhaps the only piece of advice I universally offer is this: it is best to wear as much boot as you can tolerate. This can be applied to any rider, region, and bike.

In you case, I think your SG10s work nicely for getting into the backcountry on your KLR and your KTM 400. For rides where you prioritize walking over protection, I think the Midland is a great DS boot option. Other options would be the Gaerne Balance, Alpinestars Scout, and the Axo Freedom Adventure:

http://www.atomic-moto.com/Gaerne-Balance-Oiled-Dual-Sport-Boots_p_79.html

http://www.atomic-moto.com/Alpinestars-Scout-Waterproof-Boots_p_20.html

http://www.atomic-moto.com/AXO-Freedom-Adventure-Boots_p_460.html

I know I am taking this wider, sorry. If you want, PM me your phone and I will call to try and make some sense of it.

BP
  15. J.L. Poe

J.L. Poe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Brian

Personal e-mail sent :D
  16. NWBoarder

NWBoarder Whitmeister

Oddometer:
    Okay, I have revisited this thread.
    I currently have a pair of SG10s and a pair of Balance Oiled - I LOVE them both. I use the SG10s for off road, and racing. and the Balance for commuting.
    However I am seeking something in between protection wise, for Adventure rides. The G-Midland seems like a good option. I really wish they used a 3rd strap up top instead of Velcro.

Brian,
    I have some questions regarding sizing of the G-Midland.
    I wear a 10 / 44.5 in the "Balance" and they fit great.
    Based on your comment below, should I go up a size?

Thanks

17. TierHawg

TierHawg Herder of the J-Cats

Oddometer:
    I purchased a pair of these last month. I spoke with Brian at length about my needs, debating between these and a set of the SG10's. I already have a pair of the Aerostich Combats, and wanted something more protective. First, the Midlands are great boots. Well made, Italian quality and comfort. They are a step up in protection from the Combats, but not a huge step. They don't come close to a true MX boot. For me, most of my non-road riding is forest trails and easy/moderate single track. Shifting and braking feedback was important, so MX boots don't get worn often. I wouldn't want to wear these boots on technical single track. I'm sure they'd be marginal protection wise, but they are pretty, and I wouldn't want to tear them up (yet). :D

The sizing of boots is always a pain for me. I have a wide foot, that doesn't translate to EU sizing very well. My normal foot size is a 9.5 Wide, or a 43.5 W EU. Brian suggested a size 10 or 44.5. At first, the boot fit great, but a hair big, felt about 1/4 size large with normal socks. I think the leather did stretch just a touch since I've worn them. They are a little tight width wise, but not painfully so. After I wore it a little, I decide to put in a Dr. Scholls sports insert. That turned out to be a mistake for me. It cause cramps in my foot arch. I switched back to the normal insoles, and went with very thick socks. Boots fit well enough with this set-up.

Overall, I think these are great boots, and will be my goto boots for 90% of my rides. I may need to get a set of SG-10 in the future, or stop riding technical single track. I'm getting too old to keep breaking bones.
  18. NWBoarder

NWBoarder Whitmeister

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the insight.
  19. Knightwork

Knightwork Have Coffe Cup--Can Travel Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just to add my @ cents-------------I purchased a pair of the Midlands from Atomic Moto-- like a rock head I got the size wrong -----:huh-------gave them a call and got fixed up with the right size now-i have to say that these boots are great-already have tried them out in the wonderful world of wet, cold, and ugly and stayed dry as a bone---they are great for walking --albiet little stiff but the grips they have help when your bike takes that nap---I beleive that over all I got everything that I needed and wanted out of them---Great help from the gentlemen @ AtomicMoto ---Thanks Guys:D
  20. NWBoarder

NWBoarder Whitmeister

Oddometer:
    On the sizing, did you have to go larger or smaller than you thought?