AGM battery for 990 Adv?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by scottrnelson, Nov 30, 2011.

1. scottrnelson

scottrnelson Mr. Dual Sport Rider

Oddometer:
    I had to jump start my 990 Adventure today after letting it sit out for half a day in the cold. (No way to push start the thing on flat ground.) I've been seeing hints of the battery getting weak, which means that it's time to be looking for a new one.

I've had good results with AGM (Absorbed Gas Matrix) batteries on other motorcycles and would like to find one for the KTM. Do any of you know of any particular AGM batteries that are either an exact match for the KTM battery space, or can at least be made to fit?

And yes, I already attempted to search for this topic and couldn't find anything relevant.
  2. sonoran

sonoran Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  3. FuTAnT

FuTAnT KTM 990ADV

Oddometer:
  4. scottrnelson

Oddometer:
  5. sonoran

sonoran Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Drain the Shorai too far and you'll damage the cells rendering it useless. Been there, done that. Went back to AGM.
  6. TheMuffinMan

TheMuffinMan Forest Ranger Magnet Supporter

Oddometer:
    I dislike LiFePO4 batteries for vehicle starting applications, especially in cold weather.

I had a http://www.motobattbatteries.com/ in my V-Strom and I was impressed with it. I plan on getting one for my 950 when my current battery bites the dust.

The motobatt battery is a little smaller capacity wise than the stock 950/990 battery, but it's $68 so I figure it's worth a try.
  7. Johnf3

Johnf3 Long timer

Oddometer:
    AGM stands for absorbed glass mat. I have no idea where you came up with gas matrix? The stock Yuasa battery on the KTM is already AGM.
  8. scottrnelson

Oddometer:
    Typographical error? :doh

I stuck the charger on my battery six hours ago and it's still charging. I guess lots of short trips in cold weather tends to run down a battery. I'm still looking for a replacement battery, but I think I can get by if I just keep my two bikes hooked up to the Battery Tender regularly. Both my KTM and my Honda have had one turn of not wanting to start after half a day in the parking lot at work. The Honda doesn't like being out in the heat and it looks like the KTM doesn't like the cold. Good thing I don't live all that far away. (Or maybe not so good when it comes to keeping the battery charged.)
  9. crashmaster

crashmaster ow, my balls!

Oddometer:
  10. twofur

twofur Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  11. crashmaster

crashmaster ow, my balls!

Oddometer:
  12. Johnf3

Johnf3 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know you have had back luck with Yuasa, but many have had great luck with them. Most of their motorcycle batteries are made in the USA, in Reading, PA.
  13. scottrnelson

Oddometer:
    I read somewhere that Yuasa actually makes many of the batteries that other vendors sell anyway.

After checking the local motorcycle parts store, they have a Yuasa AGV for under $75.00, so that's what I'm going to get when I finally give in and buy a new one. I like to support local businesses whenever I can.

Meanwhile, I'm going to see if keeping my bikes on the Battery Tender regularly is enough to get me through another season. But the next time the KTM doesn't want to start, I'll go get the new battery.
  14. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've had an Odyssey in my KLR for almost 10 years---it's never been on a charger. I just can't imagine me buying another brand battery---these are a dry cell---and will sit on a shelf forever and not discharge.
    You can mount these batteries in any position---it's sideways in my KLR.

It's a little smaller than the 950 stock battery---but comes with foam to fill up the extra space. Connections are on the very top middle--but required no modification whatsoever. I did have to do away with those jumper wire things attached to the battery box lid. 10 minute install.

My 950 motor spins over way faster than it ever did---it's a 2005 model.
    It's my pick to have a battery that will not let you down--------------I paid $170 I think.

The Shorai's sound neat---------I saw 2 failures with a traveling buddy with them.

I travel a lot in some very remote places---it's my pick.

The worse thing about an Odyssey is that they don't make all sizes. I adapted what they made for my KLR and my 950 and am a happy camper.

BigDog
  15. scottrnelson

Oddometer:
    I'm resurrecting this thread because my battery is dead again after less than two years.

I guess the first thing I need to check is whether the one I bought came with a two year warranty, or any warranty.

This is especially annoying because I've gotten more than six years from a battery in a Ducati, and the one in my Honda has to have been in there more than five years and still works very well.

:scratch :(:
  16. ElRod

ElRod Drifter

Oddometer:
    '08 here and I'm on my second Batteries Plus AGM. The first one died 6 days past the two year warranty. For close to $100 I can't complain.
  17. Hipster

Hipster Long timer

Oddometer:
  18. DesertSurfer

DesertSurfer Tail sprayin

Oddometer:
    Yes, the knock with Lithium motorcycle batteries are they generally require a specific charger to help it evenly charge over the entire battery... And they are sensitive to cold temperatures.

The EarthX battery has internals so it's compatible with common motorcycle chargers. And CJDesigns offers several heavy duty Earthx models for the LC8 Adventure with higher cranking amps in colder climates.

The battery I ordered fit perfectly especially with the included post adapter for the KTM configuration.

It's amazingly light too.

I went with the non heavy duty battery as I live on the west coast. And as recommended, in the event of cold conditions, simply turn the key on for 3-4 minutes to let the battery "warm" itself up before turning the starter over.

CJ was awesome and shipped it out immediately.

Love his excellent service!!!
  19. _cy_

_cy_ Long timer

Oddometer:
    original 11AH AGM on 990Adv is marginal for a 1,000cc class bike. especially one that gets taken in the middle to no-where.

unfortunately when LiFePo4 batteries are spec'd they typically are undersized. EarthX currently makes the most advanced LiFePo4 battery available with internal BMS, overcharge and under discharge protections using MOSFETs that disconnects main power buss under certain conditions.

in the process of testing latest EarthX ETX18 which measured 4.8AH actual or way too small for a 1,000cc class bike like KTM 990Adv. don't get me wrong EarthX ETX18 will crank over 990Adv strongly but will have very little amp hour capacity in reserve.

when temps dip LiFePO4 performance will drop. EarthX are adamant all their batteries will put out CCA rating at zero degrees Fahrenheit. which is fine if only a few seconds of cranking is needed. don't know about you, but if I'm going in the middle of no-where a hundred miles from any support. I'd want more than a bit of extra reserve capacity to start my bike. anyone that's got a bad load of fuel knows 30 seconds of cranking is nothing. cranking and cranking and cranking while beating on your fuel pump could make all the difference from starting your bike or walking ...

the smallest LiFePo4 for 990Adv would be EarthX ETX24 .. if one is going RTW and/or headed for a winter trip to Alaska. go with EarthX ETX36. case size is the same and both will fit 990Adv.

someone with 990Adv just got back from a successful Arctic circle trip using EarthX ETX24. but that's in the summer. for really cold weather work... a LiFePo4 battery with actual amp hour capacity equal or larger than 11AH AGM.

much more info in LiFePO4 testing thread .. link in sig
    if you don't want to spend the $$$ .. go with at least 11AH AGM .. a 14AH Odyssey would be a better choice. note KTM 950 is spec'd with a 14AH AGM.

just finished tech support for a 990Adv with electrical gremlins in Finland on RTW trip. they are using a Shorai LFX18 which is way too small. most electrical issues relating to LiFePO4 use in 990Adv are covered here. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=914232

[​IMG]
  20. Brown Dog

Brown Dog North Georgia Dual Sportr

Oddometer:
    AGM battery ONLY way to go :deal

I've tried the Shorai = JUNK !!!

A few pounds AIN'T worth the aggravation with these "Weight Savings Battery" brands out there :nono

East Penn Deka AGM in 2 Bikes & 1 Quad :clap

My AGM in my Honda Foreman Quad cranks 40-60+ times a day here on farm & it has been going STRONG for 3yrs.

I had to replace the starter brushes other day though :cry