F800GS AF-XIED

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by ebrabaek, Nov 11, 2013.

1. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    No, you are not safe. Although the magnus moss act proved that BMW have to prove to you that the PC-5 acted up, I think as the PC-5 is more intrusive than the XIED.
  2. finehomebuilder

finehomebuilder Adventurer

Oddometer:
    They recommended the PC4. Yes it would void warranty also. Supposedly the PC defaults to stock if failure. Led me to believe if the AF-Xied failed the motor would blow up. Too rich, etc. basically felt the AF-Xied looked like a doofus attempt. Ex: 1-10 on settings. If it states not to use 1 or 10, why there?

All that I want is a smooth running bike with little off idle stumble. I don't want to keep a computer attached to monitor what is going on.

Just let me ride!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  3. finehomebuilder

Oddometer:
    Also, I have a Akrapovic pipe to install. Considering K & N filter.
    What road does that lease me down?

4. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Your dealer is an idiot. But I see this a lot. They slam anything, and approve what they sell. It works for many customers, as most of them just nod, and accept what they are telling them. Dynojet does not make a PC4, for the 8GS. I have not heard of a PC-4 for any bike, but perhaps I missed something. I would rather we dont turn this into a discussion with regards to what your dealer says about their Dynojet product. We should discuss that in my DJ thread. If you do decide to go the route of the PC-5 ( not the 4) then have at it. You might want to bring the DJ thread to their attention. This way they will know that you are armed with guys that will help, and not afraid of calling bs..... and those guys are here to help ya. Link to the DJ thread is on page one of this thread.
  5. finehomebuilder

Oddometer:
    I will read the DJ thread before further posting. BTW, may have been PC5. Didn't catch which model. And yes they would order one for me for just under $400. I am thankful that there are guys here to help. I will await further guidance.

6. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    No worries amigo. I just get really upset when dealers try to take advantage of customers, who are there to develop trust with them. Thats all. Have a good read in the DJ thread, and if that is the route you decide to take, then I can help there as well. Looking forward to discuss your app, as you gain more info....:freaky:freaky
  7. Shooby

Shooby Long timer

Oddometer:
    Installed a couple weeks ago. Setting 7. Mid-range = nice! Pulls stronger all the way through. Removed HTC temp spoofer. I'll be putting that back in. I haven't made time for any longer rides and my commute is only 8 miles round trip so It's only been a couple tanks since installation and I'm getting 38mpg...

Bike was getting upper 40's for the longest time until earlier this year it started dropping but stabilzed in the lower 40's.

I suspect between SoCal suburban commuting, spirited weekend ridin' around and generally more comfortable with the bike to be contributing factors.

Has anyone experienced mpg improvements following the initial
    "learning" phase of the AF XIED ?
  8. Happy Wanderer

Happy Wanderer Day Dreaming.. .

Oddometer:
    Yes. Even though the mixture is richer (more fuel) it delivers more power so I tend to ride with less throttle to get the same job done. Also find myself cruising at lower speeds like through towns in higher gears thanks to improved low RPM performance. This all saves fuel.
  9. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am not getting better mileage. It is hard to judge, as with the cases on, you are pushing a door through the air. But I am suspecting lower MPG, down from mid 50's to upper 40's. I am considering putting it at setting one ( stock AFR) and see what happens, after adaptations reset's. If that restores the MPG, then I will most likely go back to the PC-5/AT with a custom AFR, as it is much more custom able. It really is too bad, you cannot reprogram the BMSK. A perfect solution would be a XIED with a custom able program and pc interface like the PC-5/AT. That would rock my world.
  10. Shooby

Shooby Long timer

Oddometer:
    Duly noted Happy W. I look forward to it. What setting did you start / end with?

And thanks for the reminder: To echo others, I'm often taking familiar corners, off-road sections in a higher gear as well with no hint of lugging penalty.
  11. Shooby

Shooby Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, a big trip in September will confirm the mpg stats.

Sounds like you, Reaver & Roger have your next project penciled in... ? :deal (wups, sorry, and Loutre too)
  12. Happy Wanderer

Happy Wanderer Day Dreaming.. .

Oddometer:
    I beta tested the AF-XIED on a 2000 R1100RT in June 2013 to help Roger04RT expand the data set he was gethering as he developed the AF-XIED product with NightRider. After this beta testing I decided to install the AF-XIED's grand daddy which is the LC-1. I went this route because the LC-1 has full datalogging and this allowed us to run a bunch more tests and learn more about the behaviour of the Motronic 2.2. I wrote a report on my first long distance testing and posted it here: http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthr...and-O2-Sensors&p=880407&viewfull=1#post880407

You might find the mileage chart interesting.
  13. Mike.C

Mike.C Stelvio Dreamer!

Oddometer:

WOW that's a bolt out of the blue!

What a journey this has been. At one point IIRC you were unhappy with the PCV/AT fuel consumption at 15-20% increase over stock, then the AFX-EID came along and the conclusion seemed to be that it was the best compromise. Now the PC-5/AT is back in the frame.

What changed to swing you back that way?
  14. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    He he.... Could be fun..... Three nationality's..... One BMSK.....:freaky
  15. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have always kept this as an option. The pc5/AT developed more power..... The XIED is not far behind, but right now I am seeing the same measured fuel consumption as the pc5/at combo..... I can live with a bit less power, but with no better fuel consumption, I can't. I am still measuring, but they seems to be about the same. The drawback with the xied, is no custom map. I do miss this with the dj boxes. I am looking at creating a far map that adds a bit of fuel off idle, and then leaves stock afr until about 5000 rpm or 50% throttle which ever occurs first..... Then go to 13.8. But that is another discussion, that I will save for the dj thread, if I go that route.
  16. MTrider16

MTrider16 Ridin' in MT

Oddometer:
    Hmm... Interesting. But you don't have the off idle throttle problem? I guess I thought a little bit of mixture change up could help the MPG, but it sounds like the testing doesn't show it.

:wink: I guess I'll just leave mine stock.

David
  17. Shooby

Shooby Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank you sir. Good read & very informative. :thumb
  18. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Correct on the off idle..... But I think that half of the cure is the cat'less headers. Many have reported a little better off idle response, but many reports it as not elliminated. I might just be chasing something that does not exist. The XIED is fantastic, and I still need to return it to setting #1 which is stock..... And rider a few hundred miles. If mileage is still bad, then I know I have anything else going. For the money the XIED is the best option..... Hands down.
  19. Hamish71

Hamish71 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Taken me two weeks to read through all of this thread....
    I to have the PCv/AT with custom dyno map, on a full remus (unrestricted) catless system.

Recently that started playing up, getting to the point where the bike wouldn't start. I pulled the plugs, and after 20,000km running the PCv, the condition of the plugs was awful. Definitely running way way rich.

Have gone back to stock header, remus muffler (unrestricted) and no FI device. Its a little quieter, (ok a lot)less snappy...but I'm still smiling. Was hoping this XIED device might be the answer....

No clearer to me:)
  20. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know.... I know. :D
    Before I can call it, I need to run it on stock fuel setting. I am basically down to 47-49 mpg mixed commute. That is where I was with the pc5/at, but the dj boxes made more power. I lost about 5 mpg. Could be something else.... Who knows. I think my biggest issue, is that very little proven runs have been accomplished with A INDEPENDENT DYNO. I know Roger, and most will say, just get a 911 and log with the rest of us. But I am not sold on this as a sole mean of proof.
    Don't get me wrong, the bike runs fantastic...... I have just lost a bit too much efficiency, and it has been gradual since the XIED was installed.