Loud colors, are they really a life saver?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by KX50002, Apr 11, 2014.

1. KX50002

KX50002 NooB, my ass

Oddometer:
    I've been wearing a roadworkers safety vest this winter, chartreuse with reflective striping, I've noticed most of the cagers seem to see me. I'm pretty good at predicting when someone is going too pull out in front of me etc. So I don't have too many near misses, but I haven't been cut off or anything since I started wearing the vest.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk
  2. YJake

YJake Long timer

Oddometer:
    When I drive I notice riders wearing loud colors sooner so maybe?

I'm currently looking at jackets on hi-viz colors as a result of that.

-Jake
  3. CopaMundial

CopaMundial Wow, that broke easy

Oddometer:
    Might help people take more notice, but don't count on it. You still have to ride as if they don't see you.

Cops might give you a bit more of a break, assuming you're a careful / adult rider rather than some teen aged kid, but again don't count on it. You still have to ride as if you're worthy or deserving of a break.

I guess what I'm saying is that it can't hurt anything (in contrast to the similar thread about loud pipes).
    Just don't let it give you a false sense of security. What you're wearing will never have as big of an impact on safety as how you're riding.
  4. Dastard

Dastard Just another guy

Oddometer:
    The first day I wore my Icon orange vest about 9 years ago, I had less people pull in front of me, cut me off etc.

I'm a believer

D
  5. JohnCW

JohnCW Long timer

Oddometer:
    Within a day or so this thread will be just another does hi-viz work discussion with all the same-old same-old arguments.

At the end of the day its a simple question: Is someone riding a loud contrasting colored bike/gear significantly more visible that someone riding say a black bike in black gear? Therein lies your answer. If you believe the rider with loud colored bike/gear is significantly more visible then it could be a real life saver. If you don't believe they are significantly more visible then it makes no difference. All anyone needs is their own eyes to make this determination.
  6. KX50002

KX50002 NooB, my ass

Oddometer:
    I agree, I've been riding on the street since December of 1987 with no accidents. That's no accident, I'm very aware of my surroundings and ride as though "they're out to get me"

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using Tapatalk 2
  7. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    They can be part of your toolbox but counting on them is a bad idea. You are always responsible for your own safety. Awareness and skills are your best defense. Practice,practice,practice.............
  8. DirtMedic

DirtMedic Intrepid Explorer

Oddometer:
  9. Solarbronco

Solarbronco Long timer

Oddometer:
    Damn, tell me that there wasn't a front passenger in that last pic!
  10. DirtMedic

DirtMedic Intrepid Explorer

Oddometer:
  11. Bill Harris

Bill Harris Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer:
    Operative words: most and seem. Most may, good drivers will, but the clueless won't. And they are the "ones out to kill you". If most seem to see you, then you may have been lulled into a false sense of security. I wear dayglo green, the bike is lit up front and rear like the "smilin' face o'jesus", but that just stacks the odds in my favor with the alert drivers. Ride like you're invisible.

And yep, what anotherguy said...
  12. Dexter!

Dexter! Long timer

Oddometer:
    Last week I was riding on a Hwy, 2 cars behind me there was a S10 with a rider wearing a grey and black jacket, didn't noticed him until I checked the cager behind me texting (meaning long time viewing my mirror) 5 secs after I checked my mirror normally, still didn't see the S10 driver but I clearly noticed a Hi-viz Revit jacket 400 yards away who turned out to be a GS1200 driver. That clearly showed me how much visible a hi-viz jacket is, even better first sight in my mirror it seemed like a Hwy patrol motorcycle so it made me be more carefull with my driving.

Question is, will a Hi-Viz jacket save my life? No, hwy workers are hit, even behind the orange cones wearing a hi-viz orange/green/reflective mono, motorcycle cops are hit, buses and emergency vehicles are hit, but wearing it will give me more chances of being seen. I wear a reflective vest over my black jacket since the S10/Gs1200 situation I resumed and I will buy a Hi viz revit jacket next summer when the prices are lower since the jacket I have now is in a very good shape.
  13. Riplinstill

Riplinstill Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Isn't there like three threads basically on this subject now? hi-viz, bright colors, and loud exhaust. If you are concerned about being hit by a car, wear bright colors, it's sure as hell not hurting anything.
  14. KX50002

KX50002 NooB, my ass

Oddometer:
    This year at work we had 3 parked trucks hit from behind. 1 was a crash attenuator hit by a woman driving a suburban doing 65 in a 40 mph work zone. Our truck had strives all over fishing lights and signs. It took the right side of the suburban and peeled it off like a sardine can. She had looked back to yell at kids in the back seat, lucky for her, her kid in the passenger seat had her seatbelt on...it was the only thing that kept her in the truck. She was critically injured, but I heard she recovered.
    Next was a young woman texting while making an illegal u turn in a construction zone, swung wide and hit another attenuator again with bright yellow paint and strobe lights.
    Next a woman going about 45 rear ended a gmc 7000 stakebody with a huge litigate on the back. She hit so hard it knocked the rear axle out of the truck, emts on the scene were surprised she was alive when they cut her from the wreckage.
    So yeah, I'm aware that a bright colored vest or jacket won't keep people from running me down, but I really think it helps somewhat. It's just another tool in the arsenal.

15. doxiedog

doxiedog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bright colors might help,but they sure are not going to save you.
    Yes, i have a yellow jacket,and i'm still alive,
    It certanly has not hurt my chances. :)
  16. Skyshadow

Skyshadow Banned

Oddometer:
    worst part about worshipers of loud colours, and loud exhausts....noobs and other inexperienced riders get the idea that with those things they have LESS of a chance of getting hit...so they ride a little less defensively. Not good.
  17. KX50002

KX50002 NooB, my ass

Oddometer:
    So...not much different than the ATGATT Nazis, my father rode for many years often in jeans a tank top and one of those cool 70's helmets with a snap on shield. Hint he didn't die riding.

18. ttpete

ttpete Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer:
    You're projecting.........
  19. resqdoc

resqdoc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Might help, probably doesn't hurt. Miitary studies have led them to discontinue the requirement for this gear. Imagine the evidence required to get the military branches to REPEAL A "SAFETY" REQUIREMENT!

Don't confuse emergency lights and accidents with motorcycle Hi Viz wear.

It is a known issue in emergency services that drivers can be drawn to flashing lights like a moth to a flame. That actually can result it a Might help, can hurt situation.

Bright reflective gear donned by motorcyclists intuitively makes sense but, as an Emergency Physician, I'm not inclined to preach to people about it when evidence to the contrary is available. My local military installation does still require it and I comply.
  20. Rango

Rango Phaneropter

Oddometer:
    Consider that when a cager tells he didn't see the victim that doesn't say he was actually paying attention nor taking into account that his vision was challenged, by for instance, a low sun. Would in that case a loud color made a difference?

The "I didn't see" should never be taken for final, on the contrary be the start of the search for the real cause. Loud color might not be the proper answer!

Loud colors, most of the time an eyesore.
    Loud pipes, a nuisance for sure.
    What'll come next? Loud smells? :evil