the DR650 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by sleepywombat, May 1, 2006.

1. tbrduc

tbrduc Tbrduc

Oddometer:
    Hello,
    it seems that this thread is about 'newer' DR's.
    Mine is a '92 and as you know, different in many ways.
    I tried searching for older models but the search engine here wasn't helpful
    Where can I find data here on the older models?
    It's basically stock, except for a JE piston, tires and airbox-jet modes from Uncle Jesse.

thanks.
  2. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61568
  3. mrprez

mrprez KJ4WMZ

Oddometer:
    I just checked the sag, it is more than it should be so I'll add in some more preload and see what gives give. I'd like to get this to ride somewhat like my DRZ did.

Tires? Probably sooner than you'd think!!!:clap

How's the coffee?

John
  4. acesandeights

acesandeights Noob

Oddometer:
    Gone :cry
  5. mrprez

mrprez KJ4WMZ

Oddometer:
    Sorry....good stuff.

I just got back from a test ride after resetting the sag on the rear shock. Pogo stick gone. Rides pretty well, can't wait to get out in the dirt somewhere and see how it does. NM, CO, UT, NV, OR?

You should plan to ride with us when we get out that way. Maybe a day or 2 or 3?

John
  6. acesandeights

acesandeights Noob

Oddometer:
    I'll plan on it John. I would think NM, CO, UT, NV, OR would be a good test to see if you've got your suspension dialed in :D
  7. Rob.G

Rob.G Mostly Harmless

Oddometer:
    The Pre-'96 DR650S Thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61568
  8. ram1000

ram1000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The DR is headed back together after getting the frame powder coated semi-gloss black. While it is apart I took the RMZ450 forks apart and the machine shop is cutting new grooves in the dampening tubes to shorten the travel from 12.2" to 11.5". This will allow me to set the forks down farther in relation to the Cogent rear shock so that steering can be made more responsive.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. Rob.G

Rob.G Mostly Harmless

Oddometer:
    Nevermind... figured it out. :)

I had had a question about preload, but then thought about it a little more, re-read the ProCycle page, and answered my own question. I ended up going with 1" of total preload (0.47 kg springs). I also set the preload on the emulators at the two turn starting point suggested on the ProCycle page.

It's now 4 PM and the bike is back together. I haven't gone for a test-ride because it's too damn cold, but it feels nice from just sitting on it and pushing on the front end.

While I was out there, I installed that new case saver that they sell, and that fancy anodized blue rear brake clevis. I was hoping the brake clevis thing would help with the play in the rear brake. It might have helped a little... I won't know for sure until I ride it.

Rob
  10. Adv Grifter

Adv Grifter on the road o'dreams

Oddometer:
    The red pegs and shift lever are very sharp. Power coated also? It's so nice it'll be a shame to get her mudded up! :D It was 65F here in Nor Cal. Perfect riding weather.
  11. ram1000

ram1000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The red parts are paint, and I intend to paint the rear grab bars and my homemade bag racks red also. They are primered now. A few other parts will be red like the oil cooler brackets and little brake brackets. I intend also to paint the valve covers red- got that idea from the Husky 630. Thanks...
  12. Adv Grifter

Oddometer:
    Red and black have always been a killer combination. Love it. Those red accents really set off things ... and hide a lot of homeliness! :D

The Huskies red heads are way cool. Great inspiration. :clap
  13. ER70S-2

ER70S-2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    :uhoh

[​IMG]
  14. 1989THEARK

1989THEARK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I dont want to start a flame war or anything.

but my stock battery in the DR finally gave out.:cry

im the second owner of the bike.

it was wrecked and i have bin taping it back together.

after being crashed having some covers smashed

forks bent

tank crushed

tail of the frame slightly bent.

the bike STILL rides awesome.:D

i used to ride a ex250.

dont ask me what year becuase i had parts from god knows how many different bikes.:stoned

after being crushed on my buddy's ktm950 :muutt i realized

i really REALLY "REALLY" !!!

wanted my own dual sport.:ricky

though i need to get the hang of dirt riding.

my skills for a lack of a better term. SUCK in dirt.

anyway

back to the problem at hand. i have bin thinking about getting a antigravity battery. i read they are good. last long strong crank. but i haven't got any good answers on wether they can deal with the heat the dr650 puts out.
    this is my eco bike if it aint broke i dont fix it. i dont plan on farkeling up the bike. i love its simplicity and its get on and go ability. so no extra lights. at most i will just go to a dual headlight. since i hate the stock headlight output with a passion. its one of the reasons i dont like to ride at night. planning to just drop in a new bulb and see if its an improvement..

dang i keep getting off track.

sorry im a total noob here.

i think this is actually my first post on ADV.

i've gone on DR specific forums and thumpertalk but im hardly ever here.
    since this is the axis of evil for DR650's on ADV i figured i'd post here and deal with the onslaught opinions.
  15. jmderyke

jmderyke Miner

Oddometer:
    Hi guys I have a dr 350 and I am wanting to swap my rear shock spring, since the 650 is still being made figured I might be able to grab a used one from a 650. So can anyone tell me the specs of the 650 rear spring? mine is
    11" x 2 1/4" id thanks
  16. TinkerinWstuff

TinkerinWstuff Take it apart

Oddometer:
    just an update for you regulars -

I did finish the HC piston last Friday. Test rode local gravel roads on Saturday to break it in.

She ran a good bit hotter, hopefully it settles down a little as it breaks in but I'll probably be putting a KTM fan on the oil cooler.

first impressions: I did feel an improvement in the throttle response and believe it was a little smoother. I was neither overwhelmed nor underwhelmed by the increases in power. It's definitely snappier but I kind of expected more. For the $200-ish cost of the DIY upgrade it wasn't bad. Further testing on the trail will be needed to get a better idea of the power and heat tradeoffs. Before doing the piston change, I believe I read somewhere on the web where someone compared the change as similar to the gains felt with the pumper carb. I think I would agree with that.

I did have pinging at low RPM loads. Down where she used to tractor, she now pings. I had a half tank of regular gas and attempted to put some premium in it at the station. But the local pumps only have one handle for three grades so by the time you select and pay for 1.5gallons of premium, I bet I was lucky to get .5gallon of premium in the tank.

I will probably fiddle-fart around with the carb jetting some more to see if I'm still in the sweet spot.
  17. bross

bross Where we riding to?

Oddometer:
    I have both, love them both. The issues your buddy had are well known with simple fixes. After lubing my stepper motor, I've had no more idling problems and don't expect any more. Mines been as reliable as my DR. The Tiger is NOT a dirt bike though. This ride turned from bad to worse, with steep rocky descents and ascents. I got through on the Tiger OK, but would have been happier on the DR. I bought the Tiger primarily as a road bike, but one capable of continuing on when the pavement ended, not a trail bike.

[​IMG]
  18. motolab

motolab Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you can hear it, it's bad.
    You could pull the timing back a bit.
    Certainly a lean mixture will contribute to the problem, but correcting that (if it's the case) won't likely solve the problem alone (since DR's have been reported to audibly ping/sustain detonation damage with a standard piston).

Regards,

Derek
  19. Adv Grifter

Oddometer:
    1. get a regular (and cheap) lead acid battery, stay within your budget.
    2. Stock tanks are available everywhere ... cheap! Get a new one. So many here take off the stock tank first thing. Check the Flea Market everyday.
    3. Lots of other parts can be found here (Flea Market, Parts, search DR650)
    4. The cheapest, easiest and most effective headlight solution is the DDM Tuning 35W single bulb HID kit. Plug and play, 3 times more light. $30.
  20. procycle

procycle ~Retired~

Oddometer:
    Hmm... How would you suggest TinkerinWstuff do that?