Unifilter

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by boulder, Mar 6, 2013.

1. boulder

boulder jersey boy Supporter

Oddometer:
    OK unifilter have now finished there final product, I have one in my bike now and am very happy with it.
    Here is the final design.
    Here you can see both filters the inner has the spring and the trumpet from the TB fitted on the left and you can see the right side with the spring ready to be fitted.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Once you have both Trumpets in the inner filter just tighten the reusable cable ties up so the filter is snug. Place the front Trumpet on and lock in to place and repeat with the rear Trumpet.
    [​IMG]

Now fit the orange outer filter over the inner and lock the velcro strap.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Everything else is the same as my first post in K&N filter thread. These filters are now in production.
  2. DSM8

DSM8 Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer:
    Maybe it's just me but what was the point being made here or the question being asked??
  3. boulder

Oddometer:
    Sorry my bad didnt preview post!! Started this thread so as not to upset people in the k&n filter thread, these questions were asked from there.
    Questions asked as follows.
    Is the yellow inner filter open or is there a wall dividing the two pods. Answer, Its open.
    Are both filters oiled or just the outer. Answer, both filters are oiled.
  4. Vicks

Vicks gets stuck in sand

Oddometer:
    Price ?
    link to online order site ?
  5. RedRupert

RedRupert Brit in the Soviet Union

Oddometer:
    Riga, Latvia / Bergerac, France / Colchester, UK
    By the way that the orange filter fits over the yellow one, It looks as if not all the air will be double-filtered - i.e. some of the induction air will be able to pass through the yellow, without having to pass through the orange. Is this so?

Why is there a filter for the crank-case breather - there is a valve that only allows air to be exhaled from the breather, not inhaled?

In OE form, I understood that the breather exits into the air-box in order to prevent exhaled oily air entering the atmosphere (at least, before being processed by the cylinders).

Do UNI have dealers in Europe?

Thanks.
  6. Vicks

Vicks gets stuck in sand

Oddometer:
    The crank case breathers don't have the one way valves anymore (they used to be on the early 950's i think). So, the crank case breathe both ways. The SAS line only sucks air from the box - unidirectional. With the stock airfilter, these two lines are on the clean side of the filter, so they breathe only clean air in and out.

But with the Unifilter, there is no clean side for the SAS and crank case breather lines anymore. Hence the need to fit a filter for them in order to avoid dust getting breathed in to these lines.
  7. HooliKen

HooliKen Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer:
    My google-fu must be weak today. Could not find any reference to this......even on the Uni site? :cry
  8. RedRupert

Oddometer:
    When did they remove the valve on the crank-case breather?

boulder's 990 R (?) has one in the pics above - and that's a pretty late bike. They were still fitting the valve to the 2010 990 ADV.

You are correct about the SAS, but I didn't ask about that. Many people - including me - remove that stuff. Especially those people who work on their own bikes.

Thanks.
  9. pdxmotorhead

pdxmotorhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just being clear,, do you run this setup in the air box? Or open...

And Is there a pic of the valve? I'm cleaning up a weird Canisterectomy/SAS removal on my bike from the PO..

Dave
  10. RedRupert

Oddometer:
    In the air-box. There are more details on page 3 of the K&N thread:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=861215
  11. snowhawk jockey

snowhawk jockey Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer:
    The other Center of the Universe: Bend, Oregon
    I need one of those filter units!!
    Who is stocking them?
    I left a message with our friends at UNI and hope to hear back soon...
  12. fast4d

fast4d Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think rottweiler when I see that filter....
  13. boulder

Oddometer:
    Myles at Unifilter told me $95.00 Aus but you may want to confirm with them at there website. www.unifilter.com.au
  14. Boatman

Boatman Membership has it's privileges ;-) Supporter

Oddometer:

Would you happen to have the URL for it on their website? I searched all over that site earlier today and all I found for the LC8 was the pre filter.
  15. Filterman

Filterman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi, Myles from Unifilter Australia here. Firsstly I would like to thank Boulder for lending us his bike.

I thought I would help with the questions you all have.

Firstly we will have the filter available from Thursday 14th March. We will list them on our new product page on our wesite www.uniflow.com.au as soon as they are in stock.

For Australian Customers you can order from your local KTM dealer or our website (Please support your local dealer where ever possible)

Overseas customers you can order direct from our website only. We don't have any dealers outside of Australia. We are a sperate company to UNI Filter in the USA.

The Part# "NU 1425 KIT"

Price AU$92.50

Kit includes 2 stage foam filter, 2 x Trumpet seals, 2 x crank case breather pods & a new seal for the air box to make it water tight.

The filter is efectively 2 pod filters that are joined. The internal foam is hollow between the stacks to create a still air chamber. two springs sit on the original trumpets to give support. The filter attaches with re-usable cable ties. The outer cover wraps around the underside of the main filter between the trumpets and secures with velcro tabs. Easy to install and remove for servicing.

Both layers should be oiled.

This filter is for the 990 only. We will be making seperate versions for the 950 and 1190 as soon as we can get our hands on them.

If you have any questions please ask. You can also contact me on info@uniflow.com.au

Cheers Myles
  16. Filterman

Filterman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Correction on the part# NU 1426.

Cheers
  17. xcflyn

xcflyn Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like it, but I guess I dont get it. I assume (never assume) you put the top back on the stock air box after you install this filter - correct ? If so then are we not back to the pre-filter -(feeding the air box) still being our main restriction, gaining little if nothing over stock ? Not trying to "diss" the product, just wondering about that part and if there are any HP gains,re-mapp,milage information on this.
  18. mousitsas

mousitsas Long timer

Oddometer:
    I assume (never assume) that it is a more restrictive approach to filtering, especially with the prefilter in place. If on the other hand it filters and flows well enough without the airbox, then it makes a lot of sense.
  19. pdxmotorhead

pdxmotorhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    I could see some options of modifying the airbox to compliment the filter,, provide best available air temps and some mud/water protection..

That would buy best airflow with best protection...

:hmmmmm

Dave
  20. Filterman

Filterman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The main idea is to provide a re-usable foam air filter. It provides a larger surface area over the standard filter for longer service life, better filtration and improved air flow for better fuel economy.
    Outright hp gains is not what we were looking for but there should be a small gain due to the improved air flow.
    Cheers