ktm 500 exc?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Visigothic, Apr 27, 2011.

1. makazica

makazica Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Point taken.

:lol3
  2. Visigothic

Visigothic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  3. gmtcm

gmtcm KTM RIDER

Oddometer:
    I was being kind about adding oil to the 450/530's. Some of my friends have had to turn their bikes in for top end overhauls, with relatively little time on them. I have owned two 690 Enduros, and wound up going back to my beloved paint mixer (640 Six Days).

gmtcm
  4. Visigothic

Oddometer:
    690 not living up to par, what issues?
  5. pcvance

pcvance Walk Verplank

Oddometer:
    :thumbhard to beat a good old paint mixer:lol3
  6. CodyY

CodyY ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer:
    Coolant temp sensor. MAP Would be in the "intake manifold" amd probably built into the throttle body
  7. touser

touser canned fruit

Oddometer:
    Excuse my ignorance, but what's so bad about the EFI?
  8. WestOzKLX

WestOzKLX Elsie with Allspeeds

Oddometer:
    Gold! :lol3:lol3:lol3
  9. Visigothic

Oddometer:
    Nothing if its working right. Check out the 690 mega thread and read about the EFI and fuel pump problems. Carbs are just more fool proof out in the sticks. No lap top needed to fix, just a screw driver and parts. I might be over simplifing it but if out on a week long trip give me a carb. BMW seems to have gotten their EFI right but KTM is still having teething problems with some models the 690 to be more clear. I have confidence that they will get it sorted out in time but IMHO these are the types of things that should never leave the factory unless solved before hand. This new motor may be the EFI that changes the perspective on it.

Im not sure if thats the MAP sensor or not shown on the 500 head maybe someone can chime in on this but it looks odd for a carb'd motor.

caution:patriotic rant ahead.

[​IMG] DEAD! :super[​IMG]Good job men! Thanks to all our service people and allies who have served and sacrificed. "Mission completed as briefed."
  10. xr400r

xr400r Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't understand the benefit of 50cc.....why not just make a 450, a 500.

I thought E3 was open class......
  11. Visigothic

Oddometer:
    I never understood that either but its probably 510cc like the 530. Why not call it a 510? Beats me. Then there are all the factory BB kits 570 etc. Why not make it a 570cc like the Husa and get a true BB?
  12. Kyler

Kyler Geezer

Oddometer:
    the carb versus EFI is a bit of a red herring discussion. It boggles my mind that the motorcycle industry hasn't gotten it right considering EFI is ancient technology - and it seems to be pretty flawless on the street bikes.

But your point is well taken, I won't be buying an EFI off-road bike until they have gotten a few years worth of trouble free implementation. But as soon as they do, I'll be all over it.
  13. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.
    Not sure about the US but the Austrian site already has all the official info.

It still has the same displacement as the 520/525/530 EXCs always did (510cc, 95x72), and yes it has Keihin EFI (probably the same system as the Husaberg FE models).

[​IMG]

Technical Details

<table class="contenttable contenttable-0"><tbody><tr class="tr-even tr-0"> <td class="td-0">Engine </td> <td class="td-last td-1"> </td> </tr> <tr class="tr-odd tr-1"> <td class="td-0">Engine type</td> <td class="td-last td-1">Single cylinder, 4-stroke</td> </tr> <tr class="tr-even tr-2"> <td class="td-0">Displacement</td> <td class="td-last td-1">510.4 cc</td> </tr> <tr class="tr-odd tr-3"> <td class="td-0">Bore/stroke</td> <td class="td-last td-1">95/72 mm</td> </tr> <tr class="tr-even tr-4"> <td class="td-0">Compression ratio</td> <td class="td-last td-1">11,8:1</td> </tr> <tr class="tr-odd tr-5"> <td class="td-0">Starter/battery</td> <td class="td-last td-1">Kick- and electric starter / 12V 4Ah</td> </tr> <tr class="tr-even tr-6"> <td class="td-0">Transmission</td> <td class="td-last td-1">6 gears</td> </tr> <tr class="tr-odd tr-7"> <td class="td-0">Carburetor</td> <td class="td-last td-1">Keihin EFI, flow restrictor 42 mm</td> </tr> <tr class="tr-even tr-8"> <td class="td-0">Control</td> <td class="td-last td-1">4 V / OHC with rocker levers</td> </tr> <tr class="tr-odd tr-9"> <td class="td-0">Lubrication</td> <td class="td-last td-1">Pressure lubrication with 2 oil pumps</td> </tr> <tr class="tr-even tr-10"> <td class="td-0">Gear ratios</td> <td class="td-last td-1">14:36 17:32 19:28 22:26 24:23 26:21</td> </tr> <tr class="tr-odd tr-11"> <td class="td-0">Primary ratio</td> <td class="td-last td-1">32:76</td> </tr> <tr class="tr-even tr-12"> <td class="td-0">Final drive</td> <td class="td-last td-1">14:50 (13:50)</td> </tr> <tr class="tr-odd tr-13"> <td class="td-0">Cooling</td> <td class="td-last td-1">Liquid cooling</td> </tr> <tr class="tr-even tr-14"> <td class="td-0">Clutch</td> <td class="td-last td-1">Wet multi-disc clutch, Brembo hydraulics</td> </tr> <tr class="tr-odd tr-15"> <td class="td-0">Ignition</td> <td class="td-last td-1">Keihin EMS</td> </tr> <tr class="tr-even tr-16"> <td class="td-0"> </td> <td class="td-last td-1"> </td> </tr> <tr class="tr-odd tr-17"> <td class="td-0">Chassis</td> <td class="td-last td-1"> </td> </tr> <tr class="tr-even tr-18"> <td class="td-0">Frame</td> <td class="td-last td-1">Central double-cradle-type 25CrMo4</td> </tr> <tr class="tr-odd tr-19"> <td class="td-0">Subframe</td> <td class="td-last td-1">Aluminium</td> </tr> <tr class="tr-even tr-20"> <td class="td-0">Handlebar</td> <td class="td-last td-1">Neken, Aluminium Ø 28/22 mm</td> </tr> <tr class="tr-odd tr-21"> <td class="td-0">Front suspension</td> <td class="td-last td-1">WP-USD Ø 48 mm</td> </tr> <tr class="tr-even tr-22"> <td class="td-0">Rear suspension</td> <td class="td-last td-1">WP-PDS shock absorber</td> </tr> <tr class="tr-odd tr-23"> <td class="td-0">Suspension travel front/rear</td> <td class="td-last td-1">300/335 mm</td> </tr> <tr class="tr-even tr-24"> <td class="td-0">Front/rear brakes</td> <td class="td-last td-1">Disc brake Ø 260/220 mm</td> </tr> <tr class="tr-odd tr-25"> <td class="td-0">Front/rear rims</td> <td class="td-last td-1">1.60 x 21''; 2.15 x 18'' Excel</td> </tr> <tr class="tr-even tr-26"> <td class="td-0">Front/rear tires</td> <td class="td-last td-1">90/90-21''; 140/80-18''</td> </tr> <tr class="tr-odd tr-27"> <td class="td-0">Chain</td> <td class="td-last td-1">X-Ring 5/8 x 1/4"</td> </tr> <tr class="tr-even tr-28"> <td class="td-0">Silencer</td> <td class="td-last td-1">Aluminium</td> </tr> <tr class="tr-odd tr-29"> <td class="td-0">Steering head angle</td> <td class="td-last td-1">63.5°</td> </tr> <tr class="tr-even tr-30"> <td class="td-0">Wheel base</td> <td class="td-last td-1">1,482±10 mm</td> </tr> <tr class="tr-odd tr-31"> <td class="td-0">Ground clearance</td> <td class="td-last td-1">345 mm</td> </tr> <tr class="tr-even tr-32"> <td class="td-0">Seat height</td> <td class="td-last td-1">970 mm</td> </tr> <tr class="tr-odd tr-33"> <td class="td-0">Tank capacity, approx.</td> <td class="td-last td-1">9.5 l</td> </tr> <tr class="tr-even tr-last"> <td class="td-0">Weight, without fuel, approx.</td> <td class="td-last td-1">111.5 kg</td></tr></tbody></table>
  14. Visigothic

Oddometer:
    Here is some more info

[​IMG]new engine the newly developed engine, the 500 EXC KTM engineers have created a new dimension: the engine was designed from the ground up and is now even more compact, lighter and stronger than before. Less oscillating masses and a balance shaft to reduce vibration. new exhaust muffler The new and improved muffler of the 500 EXC is not only more volume and a new design, it also reduces the noise level in the future, more stringent standards. new cylinder head new cylinder head was in the OHC cylinder head of the new engine,the 500 EXC all channels and the combustion chamber have been redesigned. The new camshaft, four valves actuated by rocker arms. Inlet side, high-quality titanium valves are used. The as yet oblique cylinder head cover makes service work. new cylinder and piston new cylinder and piston, the cylinder of the 500 EXC is specifically designed for the new engine configuration on. The new, 15% lighter forged pistons minimize the oscillating mass and improves stability at high speeds. New nitrided piston rings provide maximum wear resistance. new crankshaft new crankshaft, The main focus of the crankshaft of the new KTM 450 EXC put the engineers on the reduction of oscillating masses. Thanks to the new, lighter connecting rod and the new, lighter pistons, they were able to achieve minimal vibration and maximum speed stability. new motor housing the new engine case of the 500 EXC weighs nearly 2 kg less than its predecessor and is also more resistant to damage from rocks or fall. This was achieved by using a high-strength, elastic aluminum alloy and by the change from sand casting to die casting. new balance shaft new balance shaft, the new, more compact balancer shaft, the 500 EXC vibrations not only eliminated, but also serves to drive the water pump. This intelligent multi-functionality with the compactness and low weight of the new engine in the 500 EXC. new oil new oil circulation circuit, the new engine of EXC 500 is equipped with a common oil system for the engine and gearbox and two oil pumps. A pressure pump lubricates the engine, a vacuum pump sucks oil from the crankcase and lubricates the transmission, and thus the clutch. This results in conjunction with a steel membrane in the housing, a vacuum that increases the power of the engine. EFI / EMS new engine EFI / EMS new Keihin The newly developed system provides management with electronic fuel injection for spontaneous response of the engine. . With an optional Map Select Switch can be activated for different engine characteristics.
    new clutch new clutch used the newly developed coupling of the 500 EXC with a sturdy steel basket and gear-friendly shock damping for the first time a plate spring instead of the usual coil springs, which reduces the operating force considerably. The hydraulic actuation of Brembo ® offers a sensitive modulation of the clutch.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

<!--TYPO3SEARCH_end-->
  15. spagthorpe

spagthorpe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Damn, that is a sexy beast. I guess black rims are out of vogue again.
  16. DRjoe

DRjoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Feck the old rfs I want that engine.
  17. mickd

mickd crash test dummie

Oddometer:
    so when will the 2012 bikes be here in oz???
  18. Super Enduro R

Super Enduro R Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The first bikes are due in the UK next month

KTM 500EXC-F

Ive bought one !

[​IMG]
  19. Super Enduro R

Super Enduro R Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The 6 days has black rims :D
  20. BikePilot

BikePilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rare except for every current full size japanese MX bike made :lol3 I expect the FI will work fine, its a japanese FI system and the same supplier makes systems for numerous other things that work just fine (and for that matter the blue ktm's have very nice FI).