BMW Vario Bags - I want your input

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Zeke013, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Zeke013

Zeke013 Village Idiot

Oddometer:
    My dealer is trying to convince me to get the BMW bags since the bike I am buying has the hardware for the bags already installed.

While I certainly am not enamored with paying for the mounting hardware, ripping it off and then putting new hardware up - I will do it if the bags suck.

I have see both huge fans and huge enemies of the Vario bags here. But I am looking for an answer.

What say you all?
  2. ultane

ultane sqeezin the bag

Oddometer:
    Get the Adventure cases. They're tougher than old folks toenails!

I might be wrong... Just ask my X...

Sent from my rotary dial iPhone using Tapatalk
  3. SmilinDave

SmilinDave Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Vario luggage is great, but not worth the money in my opinion. If my used '09 12GS didn't already come with a full set of Vario luggage, then there's no way that I'd ever buy a set. Personally, I would have picked up a set of Caribou luggage if I was going for plastic. I rode Caribou sides with a Givi (knock-off) top case on my Strom and loved it. They're durable, narrow, and relatively good on capacity.

With that said, I do really like my Vario luggage. Around town, I really like the versatility of expandable luggage that is easy to take on and off. I wish it locked to the bike independently of the locking door, as I hate locking up an empty case just to make sure it's not stolen off of the bike. Although having one key for the entire bike is very nice. I also really like the Vario luggage for 1-up camping. The limited capacity wouldn't suffice for 2-up camping on a multi-day trip. And I fear the day that I drop the GS while off-roading. I get the impression that proper aluminum (or Caribou) luggage is part of good crash protection for the low-speed stuff.

I'll eventually be selling my Vario luggage and getting a new set of aluminum side cases and possibly a top case. I'm leaning towards Micatech.

And one comment about the mounting hardware for the Vario luggage, I haven't taken mine off, but it looks dead simple to do so. Personally, I'd keep the mounts if and only if I was going to get the Vario luggage. Otherwise if he was going to charge me for the mounts, then I'd tell him to pull them off.
  4. Willie B

Willie B Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought a set of used Vario side cases and top box for a third of what the dealer wanted. They had a few nicks on them, but have come in handy on numerous trips I've taken with the bike. I also picked up the Touratech soft bags that attach to the sidecases for additional room. My friend has the Jesse bags, and they're nice, but for what I've got in mine and how little I use them, I wouldn't hesitate to do the same thing again should the situation arise. I've got about $500. invested in all 3 cases.
  5. red.light

red.light n00b

Oddometer:
    I have them on my bike and had them on my last one too. They are over-priced, but they look pretty good, the expandability does come in handy and having them keyed to the ignition is nice.
  6. stan23

stan23 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought all three bags, but sold the 2 side bags. The left side didn't hold much and I just didn't find myself using them. The top case I love though. Just wish it was slightly bigger to hold a larger helmet.
  7. Zeke013

Zeke013 Village Idiot

Oddometer:
    Thanks all for your input. Depending on whether I can get the mounts removed without charge, and depending on the price of new mounts, I may go with them.
  8. Deuce

Deuce Crazy Canuck

Oddometer:
    Vancouver Island, Bitchin' Columbia, Canada
    The expanding mechanism will get jammed by dirt etc and seize up. They don't really hold that much gear especially the left bag. The tail trunk will likely fall off when the mounting bracket on the bag cracks and breaks. :1drink
  9. FireStrings85

FireStrings85 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I bought my bike used and the prior owner had the Varios. I really didn't like them, was not a fan of the collapsing mechanism and them being plastic nor the assymetry of them, also the fact they are side loaders was a big problem, not to mention the exhaust side case - it is virtually useless because of the huge contour around the pipe - anything you try to put in there just slides off. Some people like how they match the lines of the bike itself but not me. It was a breeze to remove the mounting hardware and I sold hardware and cases on eBay and put that towards the Touratech cases which so far have been great. Hope that helps with your decision.
  10. kuroda_tadayoshi

kuroda_tadayoshi Kuroda

Oddometer:
    Are you going off road? If you do anything moderately hard, DO NOT GET THE CASES!

Your location says PNW. Seattle area? When I got my GS at Ride West, I told the salesman I was planning to do a lot of off road riding. I also said I wanted metal cases. His reply was, "The Vario bags are better!" He sold me and I got them instead.

In one year I have had a side mount snap (I noticed my bag missing about a half hour later; I did go back and find it) on a rough off road. I had a bolt shear off on another location point. I had the heat shield snap off in two different locations. This is with no crashes. Just riding over dirt and rocks.

When I stopped by Touratech (who makes the Vario), they said these bags are not designed for off road. When I went into the service department at Ride West (who are great) they said these bags are not designed for off road. Also, the dust and dirt will gum up the expanding feature. The sales people must get extra money for selling those bags.

On road they are great. They are functional and look good.
  11. eric2

eric2 ®egister this:

Oddometer:
    I like my varios on my 05 1200, easy on and off. I always leave them on and fully expanded because I'm always carrying something.

Mine are starting to show some sun damage which may be fixable, and as mentioned they aren't well suited for
    extensive off roading because the plastic hooks will break if you lowside. The locking mechanism is much better than
    older models. I would skip the vario top case and get a jesse or soft luggage for that.
  12. Lensgrinder

Lensgrinder Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had the Varios on my 2008 GS for my trip to Alaska. They were water tight and worked as designed, but I sold the side cases when I got back so I could buy the adventure side cases. I kept the Varios top case as I can fit my laptop in it.

What I didn't like about the Varios was every time I went to get something out of my case, I had to hold the door with my leg so other things would not fall out which is what happened when I let the case cover rest on the chord.

I prefer the top loading feature of the adv. side cases.

Now that I have a GSA I use the Varios top case and the adventure side cases which work well for me.
  13. Dan-M

Dan-M Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Like you my bike had the factory hardware installed when I bought it. I went for the Varios (side cases only). As stated above, the the mechanism binds up when dirty making it almost unusable. Beyond that they work OK and the bike looks good when they are removed with no large brackets.
    I wonder if they will last through a drop, They appear flimsy.
    If I were to do it again I would probably get some aftermarket top loader style.
  14. OoPEZoO

OoPEZoO Dirtball Extraordinaire

Oddometer:
    I like the Vario top case, but not the side cases. I use them because they came with my bike, but I never would have spent money to buy a set......especially at retail prices. My top case stays on pretty much all the time unless I know I'm going to be doing any kind of serious off pavement work. In that case, my tools and such get shoved into my tank bag and I go completely bagless. The side cases only get put on for trips. The right one is OK, but the left one is completely worthless and is a major PITA to get anything in and out of.

One of these days I'll spring for a set of aftermarket bags, but I have other expensive things that need addressed first.......like the suspension.
  15. BoxingBoxer

BoxingBoxer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just went through a similar swap. I bought a used 09 GS and it came with the left and right Vario. I have been getting more involved off road and in doing so heard alot of guys say they had problems with the Varios falling off etc...so i ended up buying a used set of the BMW OEM Aluminum (basically the Touratech Zega) and mounting hardware. I swapped them out and LOVE my new panniers but that being said, the Varios (which alot of you have mentioned already) look good around town and are a bit slimmer when you use the expander mechanism. The side loading was a little rough at times since you can't just drop stuff in. All in all, if you have the money, i would invest in a better set of panniers that will be sturdy no matter what. Also, taking off the Vario mounts...it is really easy..i think each side has 4 bolts? it takes 10 min tops...i'm selling my bags and mounts if anyone wants em!:evil
  16. Zeke013

Zeke013 Village Idiot

Oddometer:
    I ended up going Varios all around.

It was more than double the price for the hard cases and mounting hardware - well more.

Given my use for this bike (first real motorcycle/road riding/slab riding) I didn't see enough need to move to the top loaders. Probably more convenient - but not necessary now. If I head into significant off roading, will reevaluate.

Picking the bike up Saturday!

Now I just need to put 600 miles onto it in 5 days - unfortunately, all work days. . .:cry

Heading of on a 1,200 mile trip the following Saturday.
  17. * SHAG *

* SHAG * Unstable

Oddometer:
    If the bike is new, you should not have to buy the mounts. They can take them off for you.

I have over 80k miles on my Varios with no issues. I have used them mostly without expanding except the right one for helmet. This is my 3rd set of side loaders. Been using http://shop.eaglecreek.com/packing-cubes/l/212 since 1999.
    The bags are still waterproof and expand almost like new and I have not crashed the bike :wink:

If I end up with a waterhead with the pipe on the other side, I will buy another pair of Varios :1drink
  18. STUFF2C

STUFF2C We Ain't Left Yet!!

Oddometer:
    I'll have a used set for sale soon... My micatech's are almost here :D
  19. asphaltsurfer1

asphaltsurfer1 CatManDew

Oddometer:
    vario bags on my 08 since 09. I bought them used as they are pricey. Expanded they are way to big to ride with IMO. However they're great when you stop and want to stash your jacket or other things temporarily. Mine have held up great to a lot of use but on a couple of minor tip overs. I think the mounts would break easily in any real crash or low speed get off.
  20. angelo_balto

angelo_balto Architect | Explorer

Oddometer:
    Can't go wrong with GSA aluminum cases...
    Much better than the Vario