What do you think of this aftermarket tail light?

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by mfp4073, Dec 14, 2012.

1. mfp4073

mfp4073 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Been wanting to cut down the rear fender of my airhead and put a more custom/unique/cooler looking tail light on. Today my opportunity presented itself after someone rear ended me at a light. Busted up the lens and housing. No other damage. So I get to looking. Think I really like the look of this one, but concerned about the brightness of it. What do you all think?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BATES-STYLE...Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a7c539701&vxp=mtr

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Doesnt provide tag light, so figured to try these:

[​IMG]

And then do a custom fabricated mount/bracket.
  2. plugeye

plugeye MC rescue

Oddometer:
    i dig it.
    although the price is pretty insane
  3. pbarmy

pbarmy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Its cool.Bottom line,what do YOU think?:evil
  4. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Put one on a bobber I recently wired up for a guy. Although the thing is bright it's size makes visibility questionable. If you mount it be sure it's visible from a wide enough area so that those not directly behind you can see it. It was kinda cheep too so longevity is questionable as well.
  5. mfp4073

mfp4073 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The visibility was my biggest concern I think. Dont like the cheap comment if I am to be paying that much for it either. hrm.

I did find the scrap aluminum today for the bracket assembly, scrapped aluminum out of a WWII fighter plane I am working on :clap Thats pretty damn cool if you ask me!
  6. 2manyrides

2manyrides shifty charactor

Oddometer:
    I finaly changed out from the stock 70's era bulbas looking thingy last year.
    Don't get me wrong the original was a good thing...
    Just wanted to bob up a bit....(even though I hate to see the sawsall go to these things like they have been doing so much lately to make "bobers")
    This bates has been installed on a "special's" fender, on a STD. An XS650 special's fender is 2.5 inches shorter than a XS650 "standard's" fender.
    Also changed mufflers from stock and put on short stem stock signals.

I acheived what I was looking for. The bates housing is robust and has the plate mount. Available in chrome or polished aluminum. Most sellers don't include the rubber "gasket" that goes between the housing and the fender. The light assembly was cheap in my opinion but has not blinked...

[​IMG]

Got it on ebay for 44 bucks.
  7. mfp4073

mfp4073 Long timer

Oddometer:
    well now am leaning away from that one. Its smaller than I want....

found these, I think they are both about $35 and 3.5 inches across. All metal and glass. repop 30s ford stuff

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

or

[​IMG]

Both have tag light window and thinking about painting them black if the chrome is too much for my black bike (maybe leave the bezel chrome)
  8. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    The top ones appear to have glass lenses. Much better than plastic.
  9. mfp4073

mfp4073 Long timer

Oddometer:

Yeah, both of the ones I just posted have glass. Def like that better.
  10. mfp4073

mfp4073 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok, so I made an order!

Decided on the bottom one. Found they also come with a black housing, that would match the headlight bucket of the BMWs well.

http://www.classychevusa.com/index....ategory_id=-1/home_id=-1/mode=prod/prd801.htm

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They are wired with a 2 wire setup for running and brake light, have the clear down lens for the tag light. Visibility was a big issue, many of the lights I found were only 2" across, these are 3.5". They normally come with a 35 watt bulb, but the sale person at classy chev said he would include for free a 55w bulb that some of their customers have been liking for the better visibility. They do also come with a polished housing. $35 plus shipping.

Now to start fabricating and cutting!

I also spent some time on the phone with http://www.cb750cafe.com/, really nice and helpful folks and have some good stuff on there too. As they were very gracious and helpful and spent time with me I figured to mention them too.