GSA WC windscreen angle

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by halfcabnut, Mar 24, 2014.

1. halfcabnut

halfcabnut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Im thinking of machining some Delrin wedge blocks to ,clock wind screen more forward to maybe help with wind buffet? Im fairly tall so the wind is really blasting my head .My wife has complained as well ,that the wind is catching her helmet.So my ? is Am I wasting my time trying to change angle or should I just look for a new screen?

Thanks
    Dan.s
  2. Vector Leto

Vector Leto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My guess is that a new screen would have a more discernible effect. If it's easy for you to machine those wedges, it might be interesting to give it a try and see what happens. I also wonder if your wedges could stiffen the connection between the wind screen and mounting points and what effect that might have on buffeting.

One more thought; I wonder how buffeting would be affected if your wedges increased the offset of the windscreen and allowed more air to flow underneath the screen.

Caveat: Managing wind protection is tricky. Any of these "try and see" ideas could make it worse. Keep us posted.
  3. mwhite5471

mwhite5471 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Still think the winds gonna come round the sides....im also looking to upgrade the stock screen because my visor keeps getting covered in bugs.

It appears to be a toss up between the Wunderlich and GSA screen...with the Wunderlich brace.
  4. halfcabnut

Oddometer:
    I'll give it a try and report back .
    Dan.s
  5. goatpath

goatpath Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I wonder is this a tall guy issue im 6"2 and i get the windshield cranked up and at the last minute it angles back and hits me in the face and in the cold new england weather it's really a big over sight on bmws part
  6. halfcabnut

Oddometer:
    Goatpath

I think the same thing .I'm 6-2 as well and the screen doesn't do much for me . Kind of funny tho the bike by nature is tall , but wind protection seems to be designed around shorter riders . So far I love everything about this bike except screen . The screen bounce also drives me nuts , have to address that as well.
  7. toowoomba

toowoomba Certified BMW Therapist MCCL Supporter

Oddometer:
    PUIG Windscreen. I Just installed this aftermarket windscreen and I am happy happy happy All my buffeting issues are a thing of the past! Straight forward install and very reasonably priced. I am 6' 1 and 3/4". I tried the Xcreen about two weeks ago and it did zippidy doo daa for me...

http://www.motovationusa.com/mvstore...idproduct=2139
  8. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    It's much more likely that the wind buffeting will be less if you rake the windshield further back instead. Of course you'll get more wind, but probably less turbulence.
  9. Bails

Bails Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A bet you are an American ?
  10. halfcabnut

Oddometer:
    Yes I'm American , kind of feels like a set up lol .
    Where does Nationality come into play ?
    Dan.s
  11. seatec

seatec Dutch Transplant

Oddometer:
    I'm 6'4" and have the same problem. My Neck muscles are getting a workout when slabbing it. Hey Aussie, Shut your vegemite pie hole! ;)
  12. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    :rofl
  13. Bails

Bails Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not an insult just notice Americans seem to like very big windscreens, and are happy to look through a screen rather than over. My thoughts are this is because you have big long 6 lane roads where the speed is great ?
  14. 3Putt

3Putt Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think most of us are looking over them and not through them, at least I do.
  15. halfcabnut

Oddometer:
    LOL no offense taking , I don't care to look threw the screen , but maybe its just my build or something, but the stock screen is not cutting it for me . Im not use to my head bouncing like a super ball on a gym floor..I'm going to play around with some options to make the perfect bike for me ... Giving the chance I'd sure like to ride Australia someday looks awesome .
    Toowamba seems to have found a good solution for him , I just might give that a try as it looks from the pictures its a great looking screen with good performance comming from a fellow inmate that speaks volumes to me .

Take care
    From Indiana
    Dan.s
  16. toowoomba

toowoomba Certified BMW Therapist MCCL Supporter

Oddometer:
    I resemble that remark. I am a dual national, I carry two passports, Australian and American. I like the new windscreen I installed, not because it's big, but because it stops the feeling of needing a seat belt from some of the buffeting I was experiencing at highway speeds when behind vehicles. I still sit tall enough to look over it even when it's set at it's highest setting, but it works great even cranked low. Super happy, and now I feel comfortable, safe and not a doubt in my body about purchasing this $8 billion dollar bike...! I love the different riding modes, the ESA is pure genius and when you plug in the Enduro Pro, look out! She's a nasty dirty little beast, and I love her:clap Now pass the vegemite, cause I love that too:D