April 4,5,6 East Mojave Ride

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by tr1200, Feb 1, 2008.

1. tr1200

tr1200 High Side

Oddometer:
    Well, I'm firming up my schedule and commitment to the DSRider.com guys to lead a ride in my old stomping grounds. I'll be setting up camp (primitive camp, water hauled in) on Turquoise Mountain 12 miles n/e of Baker Ca on 4-4-08 in the afternoon. from Barstow, take I15 north towards Vegas. The next offramp (12miles) after Baker is Holloran Springs, turn left and procede towards the huge concrete building at the top of the mountain. If you're arriving at night, you'll see a large flashing red light, just stay on the main road.

Those who don't like roughing it can stay in Baker. There's food/gas/motels and I can probably get discounts if I know ahead of time.

The camp will be on the boarder of the Mojave Preserve so riding Green Sticker will be legal out of camp and to the north and west. I'll be leading at least one ride through the preserve (plated bikes only). HOWEVER... I've ridden every part of this area on an old XR350 w/out even a green sticker so to each his own:wink: . It is a very sechluded area.

Give some feedback- questions- suggestions.
    Cheers:freaky
    Tom (HST)
  2. Daytona_Rider

Daytona_Rider You should be racing

Oddometer:
    Oh yeah!

My knee should be just about golden by this time. IN!
  3. dsrider

dsrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  4. nsfw

nsfw Death Valley Noobs Rally Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi Tom, I'll have this one penciled on my calendar.

Thanks for leading this ride.
  5. stevele5

stevele5 knight errant

Oddometer:
    i as well as dtr should be healed and ready. i am bringing as much of the family as will go, we have a 50 and a 80 to share with anybody who wants to bring kids, i will also have both 650's and 1 is aloaner the other not so much.
    should be a great trip. how is the weather at that time?
  6. lsellers

lsellers a DSRIDER

Oddometer:
    I'm in
  7. montibank

montibank Happy

Oddometer:
    If I have something that has two wheels and goes vroom by the time of trip im in. Soo ... any tarmac? I have buddies that are on dirt onlys that would like to join us.
  8. Ben99r1

Ben99r1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    tr1200. How big is the legal green sticker riding area? would this be a good riding area for younger kids preteens? Thanks for the info Ben.
  9. dsrider

dsrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    <TABLE class=tborder id=post6232540 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=thead style="FONT-WEIGHT: normal">Yesterday, 11:10 PM <!-- / status icon and date --></TD><TD class=thead style="FONT-WEIGHT: normal" align=right> #8 </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD class=alt2 width=175>Ben99r1<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_6232540", true); </SCRIPT>
    Adventurer

Oddometer: 85

</TD><TD class=alt1 id=td_post_6232540><!-- message -->

tr1200. How big is the legal green sticker riding area? would this be a good riding area for younger kids preteens? Thanks for the info Ben.
    <!-- / message --></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    Ben99r1 There will be 50s & 80s & quads and other great kids (preteens & new riders) riding non plated dirt machines. HST can give square mile and more details
  10. LittleMissSunshine

LittleMissSunshine Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's on my calendar. I'm in! Hopefully we can get some more women on this ride??? Ladies??? :ear
  11. tr1200

tr1200 High Side

Oddometer:
    Ben99r1-
    Since we'll be on the north boundary of the preserve, there'll be allot of wide open dirt-only riding with not allot of traffic. I've ridden from there to 30 miles north and hit Dumont Dunes. You can ride the Powerlines from the highway127 x-ing (12mi. north of Baker) to Barstow 60 miles away with lots of side routes.

I'll probably bring two of my teenagers but won't let them ride w/out my supervision.

Tom
  12. tr1200

tr1200 High Side

Oddometer:
    To be more specific- the 'green sticker" area would be a couple hundred square miles.
  13. tr1200

tr1200 High Side

Oddometer:
    LMS-
    My ex-wife #1 might make this ride. She's in So. Cal. and rides an XR and I'm trying to talk her into bringing my son up (he also has an XR).
    I'll keep you posted.
    Any other "Femoto's" out there?
    HST
  14. tattooart

tattooart Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I want to go where this is!!!!

Can anyone take me?

15. tr1200

tr1200 High Side

Oddometer:
    yes
    HST
  16. tattooart

tattooart Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So this is included in your april ride?
  17. Ben99r1

Ben99r1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Right now I get a raptor 700 for that weekend. I have a cr250 that needs to get the cylinder welded and replated. I should be done with that by April. As the date gets closer I will let you know if am coming and who I am bringing. Thanks for the open invite guys. Ben
  18. tr1200

tr1200 High Side

Oddometer:
    Well I can't be 100% sure, but it looks an awful lot like the Lanfair Vallley Exclusion Area (the exclusion being that there are some 40 and 80 acre private parcels surrounded by the Preserve) maybe in the Round Valley area, looking North, perhaps towards the New York Mountains. If so then yes, that'll be in the first day's ride. If not, then close enough:D .

I tried to move my family to the Lanfair Valley. AT&T has a microwave site right at the intersection of Ivanpah Rd and Cedar Canyon Rd. It's sole purpose is for 1 DS0 circuit for Cal Tech (seismology) and 2 residential phone numbers! It is isolated, beautiful, and if you have to live/work in the desert it's nice to be above 4500' altitude.

My wife couldn't handle living "off the grid" and driving the kids 45 miles (about half dirt) each way to school. So we wound up about 12 miles north of the Mojave trail near Harvard Station. Only 2 miles dirt and 18 miles to school! It was a good compromise.

Anyhow- can't wait to go back and visit:clap .

Tom
  19. DannyG

DannyG I have the waypoint. Supporter

Oddometer:
    i think we will be going 2... will know more in april.:evil
    is there room 4 an rv?
  20. Ben99r1

Ben99r1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hope so because I plan on bringing my tent trailer. Ben