Rallye navigation bracket photo thread

Discussion in 'Racing' started by wrk2surf, May 4, 2011.

1. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is the TT button plug and play w/ the KTM ODO?

[​IMG]
  2. pfb

pfb Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer:
    No, unfortunately not. Actually, it was kind of funny...
    • I see the Trailtech switch has the exact same type of connector as the KTM tripmaster. A pretty unusual connector.
    • Both four conductor. Nice!
    • But wait, something doesn't look right. Doh! They are BOTH female! And my KTM just doesn't swing that way...
    I did finally track down what type of connectors are used. JST JWPF series connectors. I mounted an older KTM odo that already had the wiring to the oem connectors messed up, so I just attached Molex four conductor connectors that I already had to both the odo and the switch.
    Even without the plug-and-play connector, the trailtech is a good solution. It was less than $18 shipped, while the KTM tripmaster switch lists at $63! :eek1

You could also get the trailtech remote switch extension cable ($10), cut the female connectors of both the extension cable and the switch, and solder on the male pigtail. That way you wouldn't have to deal with crimping the tiny terminals on the JST connectors.

[​IMG]
  3. pfb

pfb Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer:
    Also, am I the only one that finds it weird that KTM uses fancy, completely waterproof connectors on the tripmaster, and basic non-weatherproof molex connectors on the starter button and headlight connections, and even simpler quick disconnects for the headlight switch and tail light connector??
  4. Yellow Pig

Oddometer:
    You don't happen to have the wiring diagram at ahnd by any chance?

What TT wires get connecetd to what KTM wires?
  5. pfb

pfb Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer:
    A few minutes with my Fluke and some testing with the KTM computer, and this is what I came up with. Works perfectly.

KTM Computer <-> Trailtech Switch

Yellow = Mode <-> Green = Middle Button
    Blue = + <-> White = Top Button
    Purple = - <-> Yellow = Bottom Button
    Green = Common <-> Red

I think some older KTM computers have a brown wire instead of the purple, same function.

In addition to the four wire 'external switch' connector, the KTM computer has a two wire connector (magnet pickup, white and gray wires) and a three wire connector for backlight/external power. The computer works perfectly and retains all functions without the external power being connected, but you won't get the nice orange backlight.

You can wire the power feed to the computer always hot. The backlight turns on as soon as the computer activates (front wheel rotation or hit any of the buttons), and turns off when the computer times out after sixty seconds of no activity.

Power Connector Colors:
    Red = 12V
    Brown = Ground
    Black = Cripple (street legal mode)​

Do not connect the black wire to ground! If you do, it puts the computer into 'street legal' mode and locks out some of the computer enduro functions. Also won't allow you to set wheel size. Just clip it and forget that it is even there.
  6. Yellow Pig

Oddometer:
    Awsome!

Thanks

Parts are on the way.
  7. Fantuzzi

Fantuzzi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very basic RB bracket and wind screen on my TTR:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. Bluetonguejak

Bluetonguejak Pretend racer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

KTM TT Roadbook and bracket with a few bits aluminium angle to raise and move the assembly forward and hold the fairing.
    Single IMO 100R50 Trip and original speedo.

[​IMG]

Very basic layout. TT 5 button remote and KTM Tripmaster.
    Made a simple guide for brake/Trip/Speedo cables so they don't snag on anything.
    Hacked-out the switch block so it would fit on taper part of bars.

[​IMG]

A lot gear hanging off the triple clamps, but doesn't feel too heavy.
    Dodgy looking wiring, but it works and hasn't failed yet.
    Ran fused cable from battery to switch,
  9. drc42

drc42 Rally Dreamer

Oddometer:
    I am finally starting to get the hang of fiberglass fabrication. 3rd revision of my faring actually looks presentable.

[​IMG]

Taking the bike out for a good shakedown today. Less than 3 weeks to the Mexican 1000!
  10. pilo

pilo Rhymes with below

Oddometer:
    I'm trying to find a good source for waterproof electrical connectors. I saw Hogwild's post about they screw type connectors, but I'm looking for the waterproof push type. I know there are supply houses, but I don't know the terms and was hoping someone had done the research already. Two questions:

1) Does anyone know where I can source the power plugs on the F2R? I found a Chinese importer that has them, but I need to buy them in QTYs of 500! The same connector that is pictured on RMS site on the F2R

[​IMG]

2) I'd like to buy a kit of parts for 2, 3 and 4 pin connectors like these listed on Amazon. I'm sure there is a supplier that has them in small qty cheaper than buying them one at a time on Amazon or some auto supply shop. Where do people buy these? I'd like about 30 connectors or so.

[​IMG]
  11. drc42

drc42 Rally Dreamer

Oddometer:
    I bought of those some a while back from summit racing. Search for "weatherpack" on summitracing.com

Someone recently pointed me to this site which looks promising for stuff like this: http://www.easternbeaver.com/

When I heard the name I was concerned about clicking on it at work :lol3 don't worry, not that kind of beaver.
  12. cross-country

cross-country .

Oddometer:

I don't know if this will help, but I have dealt with digikey.com a bit in the past. Their live-chat peeps are usualy able to help me find what I need, despite my electrical ignorance. :lol3
  13. pfb

pfb Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer:
    Look at the JST JWPF connectors discussed about ten posts up. The same connectors KTM uses on their tripmaster computer. Much more compact than the delphi weatherpack connectors, even rated for underwater use.

[​IMG]

The weatherpack's are nice if you need a disconnect on a high-current device like a headlight as they are rated at 20A.

The tiny JST connectors are only 3A, but that is more than enough and for hooking up nav/rally electronics and switches, and the compact size is much nicer to try and stuff into a rally bike.
  14. theantipaul

theantipaul Reforming Neandertal

Oddometer:
    Hey Phil, these are the ones I use, they are OEM for Hondas and I replaced all the cheap ones on my KTM with them.

http://www.corsa-technic.com/item.php?item_id=333&category_id=54

The guys there are awesome to deal with, it's in the US and they ship quick. They're a bit more then the Amazon ones, but they're smaller and I think they're cleaner.
  15. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
  16. RuckedUp

RuckedUp Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here is a side view. I decided to not drill holes in the top and just mount the F2R to the center mounting points. The ICO may vibrate a bit but I can live with that for now.
    [​IMG]

I also broke out the soldering iron today and wired up the un-switched harness I got from beavercreek a few weeks ago for the ICO and the RB power source. I can just unplug the whole rig if the bat starts to drain on me.

[​IMG]

So now I have power for the VR light and RB. Productive day. I guess now all I have to do is pack and wait for launch day.
    [​IMG]
  17. Brodovitch

Brodovitch Team ⌘R

Oddometer:
    Looking good, what fuel tank have you got?

Minimum range for the rally is 150kms, and I think I spotted the stock tank in your pic....
  18. RuckedUp

RuckedUp Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I will have the Exxon tanker on the bike :)
    [​IMG]
  19. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    http://www.digikey.com/PTM/PTMPartList.page?site=us&lang=en&ptm=11101

[​IMG]
  20. Seth S

Seth S My avatar is ok. Your screen is broken

Oddometer:

Just thought i would point out that your F2R is mounted to charlie's bracket incorrectly. the F2R should be mounted to the brack via the holes in the side of the roadbook...you will need to drill 2 holes in the top mating surface. Unless something has changed recently.