loud exhaust options?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by jacoba331, Jan 17, 2013.

1. qman8

qman8 15 GSA / 16 WR250R

Oddometer:
    Never said I MISSED a shift...just didnt match RPM as best I could due to not being able to hear the engine! And dont tell me you've never hit the rev limiter!? These things only go up to about 7krpm!...thats not even into the power band on an R6!
  2. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    :csm
  3. Ragin Rabbi

Ragin Rabbi Semper Fidelis

Oddometer:
    Never touched the rev limiter. This is not a sport bike. I tour, explore, and get lost on it. I don't try and scrape my bags, though I've done it. I'm not out to hit the ton, though I've come close.

I'm a boring rider who has a finely honed sense of self preservation. I do "speed", as in over the legal limit, I have giggled like a school girl on some of the roads I've been on. But at a rate that would (assuming from some guys posts, in this thread and elsewhere) bore the stuffings out of most.

I had an FZR1000 back in the day though, and I missed a few shifts, or messed em up pretty good. Usually on strait coastal NC secondary roads, and it generally involved another bike and a friendly wager. I learned quickly the machine had greater ability than did the pilot!!!:lol3

I'm gonna go for a ride. The sun is out and it's over forty degrees!!!! Later!!!
  4. diesel&dust

diesel&dust n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi , there all you lame gs riders , lol just kidding . Im from south africa . i ride a 2004 gs 1200 with stock silencer,used to super bikes for the last say 15 odd years,i just had to make a plan with my kind of hoover washing machine sound on the gs. after doing my home work regarding performance and engine fueling regarding running to lean or rich, i decided to gut my silencer. what i did was removing the catylist converter completely as well as all the baffles in the silencer. man what a sound of music,regarding performance , low down torque and top end . all is so much better if you want a more quieter sound then just go easy on the throttle ,if you want loud ,and i mean surprisingly not to rob the gs of its high standard of quality then just go big on the throttle. there is i slight back fire on gearing back, but only if you keep the throttle slightly open . i would recommend this highly to any one who doesnt whant to pay an arm and a leg to gain the same as what i did .and i must say i get complement from the gs fratenerty all over
  5. ultane

ultane sqeezin the bag

Oddometer:
    When I want a hard on I just add some playing cards to Linda's spokes like I did when I had my Schwinn Typhoon.

I might be wrong... Just ask my X...

If a man speaks, and there is no woman present to hear him,... Is he still wrong?

Sent from my party line rotary dial iPhone using Tapatalk
  6. def

def Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer:
    ...and if you want extra loud, double up the playing cards. My bikes had 4 cylinder playing card engines....WOW...and my butt dyno said the 4 card was better than the 2 card setup. I did like the occasional single cylinder playing card setup however...mileage was better.

:lol3
  7. the-oz-slider

the-oz-slider The Oz Slider

Oddometer:
    Try my original 1969 Yamaha XS1 twin with stone stock OEM mufflers for a truly neat sound....my wife can hear me coming for many blocks, but even she says its not offensive, just rorty......
    Im looking for an alternate slightly louder system for my 07 GS now.....:rofl:rofl
  8. the-oz-slider

the-oz-slider The Oz Slider

Oddometer:
    Hold that, I just went out and bought some heavy duty playin' cards....Im good to go, eh.....
  9. bananaman

bananaman transcontimental

Oddometer:
    If you want to ride a sport bike, ride a sport bike. I'll bet you $1,000 that I can take my GS places you'd never, ever be able to with a sport bike.

It's not unusual for me to shift into 5th while only going about 25 mph. I might skip 2nd-4th. (Yes, I ride a 5-spd 1100GS, but I've spent some time on a 1200 and it's not much different.)

Next to me right now is a letter from the Richland County Wisconsin District Attorney telling me that I have to pay $175.30 for an amended charge of speeding... this was on the day after I got my bike back from the dealer. The Bike is a 1996 R1100GS with more than 100,000 miles and I'd be able to tell you how many miles if I hadn't broken the speedo in Peru and then ridden another 100,000ish miles before getting the speedo fixed. So I got the bike back and on my first real ride I kept accidentally doing wheelies.

I have a stock exhaust.

And I still think that assholes riding loud bikes have tiny little dicks and are worried that I might find out.
  10. def

def Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer:
    Call Scott Walker...

Pray tell, what is an Ammended Charge of Speeding?
  11. bananaman

bananaman transcontimental

Oddometer:
    That's when you negotiate with the DA and try to have the charges reduced.
  12. lukeinlondon

lukeinlondon LC GSA/Helix

Oddometer:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rr2uz7uWHes

that sounds great, havent heard good things about this companies heritage however my friend has this exhaust on his Explorer and its a fantastic sound without being embarrassing or offensive around town..
  13. scooteraug02

scooteraug02 Dog Rancher

Oddometer:
  14. qman8

qman8 15 GSA / 16 WR250R

Oddometer:
    Coming up on 30k miles on the 09 (bought in 2010) and still hit that limiter on occasion! I guess the sportbike in me needs to come out once in a while! I will say I'm continually amazed at the how well these 1200's handle. I love trail-braking late into the apex and not feeling any dive or chassis pitch.!

Speaking of rev-limiter...a few years ago a freind and I rented HD's in Miami and rode to Key West and back. Can someone tell me why these things are so popular? I rode 2 blocks...hit the rev limiter and scraped both sides. Hit my left heel making a left turn, due to the C-clamp riding position, and about ripped my leg out of its socket...my knee still hurts. Add to that the excruciating tailbone and lower back pain from that position, the excessive vibration, the excessive heat from that engine, and lack of any power...and I'm left wondering why? I've been on 5 others and its the same thing. I suppose a loud exhaust on such a machine is the closest you'll get to any real power output.?
  15. def

def Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer:
    I would continue to negotiate...I think you have some more room....threaten to move out of the county!
  16. RocKrawler

RocKrawler I make wicker cry

Oddometer:
    Seems a train horn installed into the panniers would be a better option for notifying drivers in front of you :ear
  17. def

def Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer:
    Go hang out at a H-D watering hole sometime...(they call them Ice Houses in Texas)...listen to the banter, watch the babes (especially the ones with all their teeth), notice how the guys talk, observe the tatoos and look at the bikes and riders as they roll into the parking lot. Next, watch quietly as they order beer after beer...get the picture yet?

H-Ds are a means to an end...they carry you from one bar to the next, have lots of real estate on which to hang lots of chrome junk, are fitted with painfully loud pipes (H-D riders love to announce their arrivals with menacing throttle blips and departures with low gear, high RPM assaults on the rev limiter if so equipped) and they are a measure of ones manhood...the louder, chromier, more leather ladden the H-D and the more tatoo riddled the rider, the smaller the package....you get what I mean?

I used to frequent a small local ice house in Texas west of Houston (shortly after I got my GS...I was, of course, an outcast) that was over-run by H-D riders.

One afternoon, a popular H-D rider who frequented the bar rode in on his newly restored pan-head, knuckle-head or some-type-of-head with the exhaust system hinging by wires, the tank leaking fuel and oil and...you get the picture. He rode right into the bar area, blipped the throttle mightily and dismounted. The bike coughed, sputtered and died whereupon, the rider strode up to the bar and ordered beers for all his friends. His friendship soon grew to most of the patrons in the bar. Once of his pals shouted, "Hey Duke, let's hear that beauty run again" whereupon Duke strode over to his still smoking hulk of pan-head (or whatever) and proceeded to begin romping on the kick starter. After many stabs at the kick starter, that poor little H-D wouldn't so much as produce a pop or wheeze. Some of his buddies took turns assaulting that poor Harley with no success. Ten minutes of mashing at the kick starter...not even a pop. I could smell fuel and there was evidence that the ignition was OK. I walked over to Duke and said, "Mind if I try sir?" Duke knew I was a BMW rider...he looked at his buddies and snickered...some snickered in sympathy with Duke..."Well, yeah Mr. BMW fella go ahead and try but she's just a bit overheated...you won't get anything out of her for awhile".

I through a leg over the poor, dribbling little Harley and reached down and made an adjustment to the clutch cable free play which was way overtightened. A single stab at the kickstart pedal produced the roar of internal combustion...the little Harley engine sprang to life. I quickly shut off the engine, dismounted and returned to my beer at a table close by.
    Duke sprang to my table demanding, "What was that you did to my bike"?

"Duke, I spoke German to it. It understood perfectly well and you saw the results".

The bar roared in laughter at Duke's total lack of cool. Me? I finished my beer, said goodbye to the little Harley and rode silently into the warm Texas afternoon.

Now as to your question, "Why are these things so popular"?

I have no idea.
  18. lukeinlondon

lukeinlondon LC GSA/Helix

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have or know of someone with a shorty exhaust on a GS/GSA ?
  19. qman8

qman8 15 GSA / 16 WR250R

Oddometer:
    ...Awesome! :clap I suppose if i felt i needed a club to belong to or a place to hang out, I could get me a HOG and all the gear and feel like i belonged to something bigger than myself. The local dealer is always having social events. They should call this movement the LCF..."Lemming Conformance Front". It seems to be more of a social fad than anything else. And whats really funny is the women who think that Harley is fashionable...like on saturday night they put on their Prada/Gucci/Dolce Gabana...whatever, then on on Sunday afternoon they put on their HD gear! :lol3
  20. def

def Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer:
    qman, the conversations between H-D owners, cultist H-D riders is interesting. Many of them talk H-D technology as if they knew what was inside their engine (most don't have a clue) with Screamin' Eagle this and Stage 4 kit that...

I believe your right about the Lemming thing and being socially acceptable, macho, etc. But, the tattoos are painful, expensive and difficult to remove. I'll just stick to my BMW thing...no tattoos required! :clap

Seen on a billboard on I-94 northbound entering Milwaukee in July 2003, "We would wish you happy birthday but you wouldn't hear us"