The big KTM 990 SMT thread -- riders check in w/ photo!

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Guy Jinbaiquerre, Feb 23, 2010.

1. seh750

seh750 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Those are the Trekker 33s. I like the bags a lot. I've only taken a passenger for a very short ride on the SMT, and without luggage, so I honestly don't know how well the bags will work with passenger legs.

I'm very pleased with the setup I have right now, it's a great mini-touring bike and super comfortable for long rides. I can put more miles on the SMT in more comfort than on my R1150RT.

Here's a better picture of my custom Rick Mayer seat. Everyone's backside is different, but the stock seat was torture for me.

[​IMG]
  2. Smithers167

Smithers167 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Those are some good looking decked out bikes. This winter I will be gathering parts to get mine set up for longer distances.
  3. Davo-55

Davo-55 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice saddle. Looks comfy. My seat is good for about 1 hour. After that, torture.. Looking at options for a new seat
  4. seh750

seh750 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did a ride-in and had it fitted in person. His first guess was really good but a little refinement made it nearly perfect. Regardless of who you use, a custom fit to your own body is the best bet.
  5. ultrachrome

ultrachrome Poser

Oddometer:
    I've tried couple of kevtx's maps and tricks with the stock airbox but they didn't do much for my bike.

The ITG filter from sportingwood and kevtx's map 18 +2% (I don't have cans) did effectively solve jumpy throttle at 4k at the expense of some intake honk. I don't have slip-ons to compete with the intake noise so it's a little odd sounding at times.

I then called my local tuner to set up a final dial-in of the map and he told me that while he loves tuning uncorked KTMs, he can fix the throttle response issues on a stock bike. Had I known that, I would have had him remap the bike two years ago. I put it off because I was still weighing pros/cons of various intakes/exhausts and figured I'd do it all at the same time.

But what's done is done, I'm keeping the intake and will probably do cans. After nearly 2 1/2 years with the bike, a bump in output will be fun.

To supply another data point, my bike with RC8 front stack, deleted butterflies and shafts, ITG JC-80 filter and kevtx's map 18 bumped by 2% is getting the same mileage as before, 33 mpg.
  6. Scutty

Scutty Talent-limited bike builder and rider

Oddometer:
    Go to map #20 (+1% maybe but try it first as posted) - its even better :)
  7. No Degree

No Degree Blah Blah Blah CSM FFs

Oddometer:
    Anyone aware of dealers in the Northeast USA that are stocking a 2013 SMT?
  8. Smithers167

Oddometer:
    I know one in the NW if you want an epic road trip to get it back home.

Has anyone seen the post of the guy who took some pelican cases and fitted them to the stock mounting points? I would rather spend money on other things than a $1000 on cases and mount. I was just looking at givi e21 cases. Keeping weight and profile down and only 175 for the pair. I also dont want racks hanging off the side of the bike for when im bagless. Have a trip to Alaska next yyear. Will these be big enough for 21 days ride? Will probably also do a duffle on the back. What do you guys think?
  9. johnwoodsrides

johnwoodsrides Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Depends on how big your duffle is.... :lol3

Will you be camping or staying in hotels? Cooking your own gourmet meals, boiling water for freeze-dried meals, or eating in diners? How often will you stop long enough to use a laundry, or will you budget in replacement undies/socks? It all depends on your travel plans as to whether the bags will hold enough for your trip. You may wish you had more room, or once going, you may be thankful that you were forced to leave some things behind as the bike will handle better with the lighter load and reduced wind load. If traveling with some one, make sure you talk about who is bringing what, no reason to have 2 hatchets, tire pumps, etc., when one will do between the 2 of you. People hike all summer on the Appalachian Trail, carrying what they need on their back. I imagine you can do 21 days with what you need in the e21's and the right duffle.

Best bet is to travel with an ex-Boy Scout, who rides a R1200GSA, that way you know he will be carrying anything you would possibly need, and you can travel light! :D
  10. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds I'm alive.

Oddometer:
    That guy rides an R100GSPD.

Smithers:
    21 days is nothing. Pack for a week, then just repeat using the same stuff. Even when I've packed for 6 months on a bike, the kit is almost the same as a week long trip.
    A good tank bag, some throw overs and a duffel for camping gear is a simple, effective set up. I have ortliebs for off pavement type travel. I'm thinking I'll try a Wolfman Beta for the SMT.

Does anyone have a pic of how a Beta sits on a SMT?
  11. Smithers167

Oddometer:
    Well shoot if I knew someone with a 1200gs they could take the kitchen sink too. We all do backpacking so are used to traveling light. Planning on camping with feezedried meals. Im sure we will find laundry along the way and stop off for dinner now and again. Ya we are planning to carry one tool kit, maybe a couple people carrying gas. The rear pegs might be a good place to attach rotopax.
  12. Smithers167

Oddometer:
    One of the guys going is looking at ortiliebs. I also was thinking i could lay those over the top of the stock bags.

None of us would have these problems if they went with rectangular bags vs tringles
  13. DiamondLie

DiamondLie Banned

Oddometer:
    Ortlieb is a worthy choice.
  14. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds I'm alive.

Oddometer:
    Don't even use the little, weird triangle bags.
  15. milq

milq Long timer

Oddometer:
    Even packed lightly, don't trust the zippers on the factory bags!
  16. CBejbl

CBejbl Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just sold my SMT for a Ducati Multistrada.....more fun.
  17. Smithers167

Oddometer:
    Says you
  18. DiamondLie

DiamondLie Banned

Oddometer:
    Says plenty actually. Guys move from the SMT to the Multi pretty consistently actually. Certainly not the other way around. :deal
  19. Scutty

Scutty Talent-limited bike builder and rider

Oddometer:
    You have the stats to back that statement up right?

Personally, from the 4 different Multeys I've ridden, I wouldn't trade my SMT for one - if its for the power I would go to the 1190 :)
  20. burgerking

burgerking echt bezopen

Oddometer:
    0f course not, if you get older you want a bike that's a bit more lame.....ehhhh tame. That's why people are trading down:evil