High Definition TV - Plasma, LCD, LED questions

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by Howzit, May 23, 2010.

1. Howzit

Howzit DoubleTrouble

Oddometer:
  2. Pete™

Pete™ Published.

Oddometer:
    so...

47-55".

It sounds like plasma is the way to go.

What's the verdict on vizio shit at costco?

I don't have tons of coin so...
  3. Pete™

Pete™ Published.

Oddometer:
    http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-VIE...3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1274660196&sr=1-3

Panasonic VIERA G10 Series TC-P50G10 50-Inch 1080p Plasma HDTV

by Panasonic
    <script type="text/javascript"> function reviewHistPingAjax() { jQuery.get("/gp/customer-reviews/common/du/recordHistoPopAjax.html", null); } var reviewHistPopoverConfig = { showOnHover:true, showCloseButton:false, width:null, location:'bottom', locationAlign:'right', clone:false, hoverHideDelay:300 }; </script> <script type="text/javascript"> function constructTriggerPrefix(asin){ return "reviewHistoPop" + '_' + asin; } function getContentDivId(triggerName){ var nameArray = new Array(); nameArray = triggerName.split('__'); return nameArray[1]; } function jQueryInitHistoPopovers(asin, triggerDivPrefix) { if(triggerDivPrefix == null){ triggerDivPrefix = constructTriggerPrefix(asin); } amznJQ.onReady('popover', function(){ jQuery('a[name^=' + triggerDivPrefix + ']').each(function(){ jQuery(this).removeAmazonPopoverTrigger(); var contentDivId = getContentDivId(this.name); var myConfig = jQuery.extend(true, {}, reviewHistPopoverConfig); myConfig.localContent = '#' + contentDivId; myConfig.onShow = reviewHistPingAjax; jQuery(this).amazonPopoverTrigger(myConfig); }); }); } </script> 4.5 out of 5 stars See all reviews (129 customer reviews) <script type="text/javascript"> amznJQ.onReady('popover', function() { jQueryInitHistoPopovers('B001UAEWUS','reviewHistoPop_B001UAEWUS_5836'); }); </script> <table bgcolor="#ffffff" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="5"> <tbody><tr><td>
    129 Reviews
    <table align="center" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="1"> <tbody><tr> <td class="tiny" style="padding-right: 0.5em; padding-bottom: 1px; white-space: nowrap;" align="left"> 5 star: </td> <td style="min-width: 60px;" class="tiny" title="73%" width="60" align="left" bgcolor="#eeeecc"></td> <td class="tiny" align="right"> (95)</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="tiny" style="padding-right: 0.5em; padding-bottom: 1px; white-space: nowrap;" align="left"> 4 star: </td> <td style="min-width: 60px;" class="tiny" title="16%" width="60" align="left" bgcolor="#eeeecc"></td> <td class="tiny" align="right"> (21)</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="tiny" style="padding-right: 0.5em; padding-bottom: 1px; white-space: nowrap;" align="left"> 3 star: </td> <td style="min-width: 60px;" class="tiny" title="2%" width="60" align="left" bgcolor="#eeeecc"></td> <td class="tiny" align="right"> (3)</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="tiny" style="padding-right: 0.5em; padding-bottom: 1px; white-space: nowrap;" align="left"> 2 star: </td> <td style="min-width: 60px;" class="tiny" title="2%" width="60" align="left" bgcolor="#eeeecc"></td> <td class="tiny" align="right"> (3)</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="tiny" style="padding-right: 0.5em; padding-bottom: 1px; white-space: nowrap;" align="left"> 1 star: </td> <td style="min-width: 60px;" class="tiny" title="5%" width="60" align="left" bgcolor="#eeeecc"></td> <td class="tiny" align="right"> (7)</td> </tr> </tbody></table>
    › See all 129 customer reviews...
    </td></tr></tbody></table>

<hr noshade="noshade" size="1"> <table class="product"><tbody><tr> <td class="priceBlockLabel">List Price:</td> <td>$1,599.95</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="priceBlockLabelPrice">Price:</td> <td>$1,139.88</td></tr></tbody></table>:ear:ear:ear:ear:ear:ear
  4. Jurgen

Jurgen CysHeteroPatriarch

Oddometer:
    That sounds like a very good TV at a very nice price. Wish I had the coin to pull the trigger at the moment. :deal I know SniperX, a professional in the business-and seems to be wired tight on this stuff, is a proponent of Panasonic Plasmas. He prefers the professional grade stuff- but is still very positive for the consumer grade Panasonics. From my own reading of those above posted threads it seems like, for me, plasma is the way to go when I go big...(I currently have a 32"LCD Vizio and a 34" Conventional Tube HD Panasonic) Good LCD's are "almost as good" for sports and motion as Plasmas... Kind of like Lexus, Audi etc want to be "almost as good driver's cars as a BMW 3 series.

Just don't mention Sony around him. :lol3

Jurgen
  5. Pete™

Pete™ Published.

Oddometer:
    where's snipperX when you need him?
  6. Sniper X

Sniper X De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer:
    Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
    I will say that with consumer technology, you pays yer money and you takes your chances with quality and reliability. Unfortunately, the consumer manufacturers sell a few different levels of TVs (at cheaper outlets like WalMart and Costco and Sams) that have better or worse processing chips in them and some even different LCD or plasma field displays themselves than their higher counterparts that sell for more elsewhere. For example if you buy the exact same model at Costco that is available at a higher end box house it might be a different processor or screen and not look as good as the one you looked at at the bigger more expensive box house. So look at the exact one you are going to buy at the place you want to buy it for sure.
  7. Pete™

Pete™ Published.

Oddometer:
    Newegg has this...

Panasonic VIERA 46" 1080p 600Hz Plasma HDTV TC-P46G10

(limit 5 per customer) [​IMG]

Original Price: $1,499.99<dl class="price"><dd class="rebate">You Save: $563.04</dd><dd class="final"> $936.95

</dd><dd class="shipping">$94.99 Shipping </dd></dl>
  8. Zapp22

Zapp22 ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer:
    Glad to see this topic popup again so I could report back to inmates what I finally wound up with. I really wanted plasma and had my analytical mind made up, but a lucky thing happened.

My Father in law wanted to swing by the Sony Outlet "just to see" whatsup one day. The Outlet has a few things you don't get just anywhere else, and there sat a full 1080p 40" KDL40Z4100 factory refurb for $$699, and all 40" or bigger sets got a freebie brand new in the box BDP-N460 Blu-Ray player.
    http://www.amazon.com/Sony-BDP-N460-Blu-ray-Player-Black/dp/B002PHM0XQ

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Bravia-KDL-40Z4100-40-Inch-1080p/dp/B0019GTRM6

Check out those prices: $130 for the BDP, $1600 for the set... that's a pretty huge discount. Picked up a 2 year onsite warranty for $29, but doubt we'll need it. Both of these devices get really high reviews/opines.

I am very impressed. The 120hz refresh and clarity/brilliance/contrast of the screen rivals or beats the plasma sets I was looking at [comparably priced, that is, not the $4,000 ones...].

I'm especially impressed with the free Bluray player. The upconvert capability of that thing is as good or better than anything I'm running on my big hog PC. Just shove in a conventional DVD of, say Braveheart for instance, and it is just stunning to watch. Upconverting is a complex software/hardware task and a lot of compromises have to be built-in, so its hard to come up with a 'crowd pleaser'.
  9. Sniper X

Oddometer:
    OK, I called, the Panasonic designer of the Plasmas. He says that now they have the same (basic) chip that the commercial ones had last year when they went to 100K hours to half brightness. He says that the only reason they won't say how long they will last till half brightness or loose contrast is they don't have the quality control they do in the commercial ones. Sooo, basically since they don't check every one off the line like they do on the commercial ones, they will not say how long they will hold black or brightness. BUT the chip is the same one in the last series commercial grade ones. So technically, they should now last 100K hours till half brightness and the contrast and black levels should hold as well. Another BUT, if one definitely wants a plasma to be good for at least 100K hours, pony up the clams and buy it from me or another Commercial or broadcast dealer.
  10. Ghoti

Ghoti Sooper Brane

Oddometer:
    I have a P50G15 I'm really happy with. Puts out a fair amount of heat though. Nice picture.
  11. Pete™

Pete™ Published.

Oddometer:
    I'm getting closer to pulling the trigger.

Here's the problem. I, so far from being a tv or audio geek it's hard to pass up something like this...
    <table valign="top" width="620" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td colspan="6" valign="top">TOSHIBA 46XV645U 46" 1080p HD LCD TV with ClearFrame 120Hz
    </td> </tr> <!-- END OF SECOND ROW OF MIDDLE TABLE --> <!-- START OF THIRD ROW OF MIDDLE TABLE --> <tr> <td valign="top"> <!-- MANUFACTURER NAME --> [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]TOSHIBA:[/FONT]
    <!-- PLATFORM COMPATIBILITY --> <!-- PRODUCT SKU --> [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]FRYS.com #: 5960534[/FONT]
    <!-- START OF FIRST TABLE IN THIRD ROW --> <table width="350" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td> <!-- PRODUCT LONG DESCRIPTION --> [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]The XV645 series combines the REGZA® Engine (PixelPure® 5G & Resolution+) with ClearFrame 120Hz for superior picture quality, and adds the bottom Deep Lagoon design for an appearance that also stands out from the pack.[/FONT] </td> </tr> </tbody></table>
    <!-- END OF FIRST TABLE IN THIRD ROW --> <!-- START OF SECOND TABLE IN THIRD ROW --> <table width="450" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td colspan="2" align="left"> <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr><td>[FONT=Georgia, serif]Shipping:[/FONT]</td> <td> [FONT=Helvetica, Arial]Unavailable[/FONT] </td> </tr> <tr><td>
    </td> <td> [FONT=Helvetica, Arial] Notify me when product is available [/FONT] </td></tr> <tr> <td>[FONT=Georgia, serif]Store Pickup:[/FONT]</td> <td> [FONT=Helvetica, Arial] Check Availability [/FONT] </td> </tr> <tr> <td>
    </td> <td>While supplies last</td> </tr> </tbody></table> </td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="2">
    </td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="2"> <hr width="75%" align="left" color="#336666" noshade="noshade"> </td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="2"> Detailed Description | [​IMG][​IMG]Tell a friend | Warranty Info </td> </tr> </tbody></table> <!-- END OF SECOND TABLE IN THIRD ROW --> </td> <!-- SECOND COLUMN OF THIRD ROW --> <td colspan="5" valign="top" width="160" align="center"> <table width="120" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td id="limg_div" align="middle">[​IMG]</td></tr> </tbody></table> <script language="JavaScript"> <!-- showImage(); --> </script> <table width="120" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td id="largeimage_div" align="middle">larger view</td> <td id="otherimage_div" align="middle">
    </td> </tr> </tbody></table> <script language="JavaScript"> <!-- chklilink();chkoilink(); --> </script> <!-- START OF THIRD TABLE IN SECOND ROW OF SECOND COLUMN --> <table width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td width="30%">[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Price:[/FONT]</td> <td width="5%">
    </td> <td width="65%" align="right">[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]$799.90 [/FONT] </td> </tr> <tr> <!-- Same thing for rebate. Make sure the After Rebate HREF displays only if the expiration date is later than today. Make sure it displays first, then everything else --> <td colspan="3" align="left">
    </td> </tr> </tbody></table> <!-- END OF THIRD TABLE IN SECOND ROW OF SECOND COLUMN --> <!-- CODE FOR MAC POST HAND --> <!-- CODE FOR MAC POST HAND END --> <!-- START OF FIFTH TABLE IN SECOND ROW OF SECOND COLUMN --> <table width="100%" align="center" border="0"> <tbody><tr> <td align="right"> [​IMG]</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table>

New egg has it for $699.

That goes a long way toward a blu ray player and maybe even one of those theater in a box deals.

blasphemy? probably.

I have an old tube 36" tv and a calpped out ps2 that I watch dvds on. And it's been in the garage for two months.

any suggestions?
  12. Sniper X

Oddometer:
  13. Pete™

Pete™ Published.

Oddometer:
  14. Sniper X

Oddometer:
  15. AngryScot

AngryScot .

Oddometer:
    so but cheap but buy more often, or spend big and live with it for a long time :dunno
  16. Keith

Keith Slabbing it

Oddometer:
    So, what about DLP TVs?

They have 1080p, and the only real detractor that I can see is size. Is there anything else that I'm missing?
  17. Pete™

Pete™ Published.

Oddometer:
    So, I'll take a picture of where I'm going to be putting this thing...

Two things.

I was shocked at how thin the LED tv's are. SHOCKED. And it would make a huge difference with where I am putting this thing.

I am also looking for advice on a mounting bracket that allows a pretty big pull out from the wall and swivel capability. It's got to be THIN.

(insert duece bigello joke)

Any thoughts on LED? Other than snipe will disown me. :lol3
  18. garandman

garandman Wandering Minstrel

Oddometer:
  19. Keith

Keith Slabbing it

Oddometer:
  20. Jurgen

Jurgen CysHeteroPatriarch

Oddometer: