leather over the top pants?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Sparkynutz, Apr 12, 2015.

1. Sparkynutz

Sparkynutz Super Sherpa derpa

Oddometer:
    I just got my first bike and looking to protect my ass literally yet not change my clothing style. Is there such a thing as snap over leather jeans?
    I normally wear normal jeans or my required flame resistant cotton pants to work and would like to find some snap on or slip over leather pants so I can wear what I normally do underneath. It's usually only a 5-20 min ride so sweating that little shouldn't be a big deal if I can pop them off and leave in saddlebag of bike and put on with helmet every ride.
    I don't know what to call such a thing to search for it. Any ideas or what this would be called?
    Thanks
    Ryan
    Ps looking for a good lightweight jacket or something too for up top if you have any recommendations.
  2. octatonic

octatonic Semi-professional Leprechaun

Oddometer:
    Leather Chaps?

Will come in handy for a Village People themed party, too.
  3. Sparkynutz

Oddometer:
    Not chaps, what would be point. Who takes a slide on front of your leg with ass unprotected?
    I'm trying to avoid having to change clothes every single time I ride to and from work mainly yet protect my ass.
    I really don't care how I look as long as I'm protected and can save time and money using bike to work because if I can't I'd take my gas hog truck.
  4. mpatch

mpatch Long timer

Oddometer:
    search for over-pants or overpants, that's what youre looking for

where in WI are you located?
  5. SpeedyK

SpeedyK Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    For a while I wore Aerostich Transit pants over dungarees, went up a waist size and it worked nicely. They are low-rise, so there isn't as much bunching around the middle.

Not a cheap option, but they sell seconds and used Transit appears on the Gear FM occasionally. Very good stuff.
  6. Sparkynutz

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys!
    I'm in Waupun, an hour north of Madison
  7. Duckworth

Duckworth Taking the high road

Oddometer:
    Tour Master Decker pants, if you can find them.
  8. DonM

DonM Do-dah Do-dah

Oddometer:
    Welcome aboard!

What are you wearing for a jacket? Nice thing about the Aerostitch is the rain resistance ( nearly water proof) and crash worthiness. At least you won't worry about catching fire!:D
  9. Gruesome

Gruesome Alter Heizer

Oddometer:
    I'm wearing my Atlantis suit over normal clothing. That suit is not really what I would call a money saver. Very comfy though.
  10. Walterxr650l

Walterxr650l Long timer

Oddometer:
    Like these from Langlitz Leathers?

[​IMG]

Walter
  11. gmk999

gmk999 23 wrong turns off the main trail

Oddometer:
    I just sized up a pair of riding pants (mine are Olympia) to fit over. Waterproof armored and the legs zip all the way up to put on easily over pants and boots.
    They are my go to now, as I dislike walking around in bike pants at day long events.
  12. Sparkynutz

Oddometer:
    I have a carhart jacket now and dam that thing grabs the wind at 60 and no windshield yet.
    Today was my first time ever driving a cycle besides my zuma moped which don't really count. That tops out at 40 and rarely went that. Riding that to work daily last 4 years I wore whatever I had on and a helmet. My uncle drove my new bike to his house for me this morning and I basically trial and error learned in the field behind his house for a couple hours until I had the shifting and stopping down pat enough to take some backroads around his place. At first I was hesitant I'd learn and end up selling it but by end of the day I had it down pretty good. Sucky thing was cleaning all the mud off from field, but worth it learning without distraction of other cars or stress of road with no skill. My wife is still pissed at me for buying it, hates cycles and calls them death traps. Maybe some good riding gear would put her mind a little more at ease. Plus I wouldn't mind decent gear for 4 wheeling too. I always wear tennis shoes and a t-shirt that get so dirty I toss them after the weekend of trail riding. Wife doesn't realize my atv will go just as fast as my new cycle, but it can stay that way. I'm surprised how few decent cycles are auto like my atv. Can hardly buy a manual car these days, but it seems most bikes only come that way yet. I been browsing for a bike for years to replace my zuma and all the used autos were so expensive and just didn't trip my trigger. Thursday i found a manual 6 spd 250 kawasaki for a smoking good deal and had to have it. Guy had 20+ calls on it and even a guy trying to get him to break deal with me and sell it for more than he was asking. Luckily the seller was a straight shooter and didn't back out on me.
    Now I can't wait to get my Temps, some gear and get back on it.
  13. JoeyHonz

JoeyHonz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For what it's worth.... Take a look at the aerostich stuff. You're close enough where you could take a srde over there on a nice afternoon....

They have good stuff, albeit pricey...... But then again, most of the good stuff! is....

Good luck
  14. Rgconner

Rgconner Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rhinestone studded chaps will definitely be over the top pants.
    :jack
  15. SloMo228

SloMo228 World Class Cheapass

Oddometer:
    Leather is fine, and I own a set of leathers, but if I were just starting to build a gear collection, I would pick up textile gear first. It's more versatile than leather and easier to take care of. Usually it's more comfortable, too.

You can get waterproof leathers but those that I've seen are fairly pricey. Decent-quality waterproof textiles are not hard to come by at a reasonable price. Look at Firstgear and Tourmaster for reasonably-priced gear.

Leather does generally provide better abrasion protection, true, but most textiles these days are good enough in that regard. If you're commuting, a one-piece textile suit is supposed to be the easiest/quickest way to gear up. I've only had two-piece suits so far but with full-length side zips on the pants, getting dressed to ride is only a 2 minute affair anyway.

I know I wouldn't want leather as my only gear, but YMMV. Just thought I'd add a different perspective to consider.

Whatever you get, make sure it has armor in it - and wear it! It doesn't do you any good when it's on a shelf at home.

Welcome to the forums! :freaky
  16. Rgconner

Rgconner Long timer

Oddometer:
  17. skierd

skierd Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer:

I've got a pair, and they're great.

First gear used to have a water resistant leather jacket and overpants set up that was reasonably priced, but the name escapes me now. Harley FXRG leathers are good too. Icon also makes/made a couple versions of leather overpants as well. Speed n Strength has a 2pc "drag racing" suit that's a little more relaxed than standard sport leathers but is a bit loud on the graphics.

If I were buying for commuting again though, a good secondhand Aerostich Roadcrafter 1pc is the ticket. Two zips and 15 seconds, ready to ride. Waterproof-ish enough for riding to work too. Otherwise I'll keep my Klim Traverse jacket and Aerostich AD1 pants combo for commutes. For longer street rides though, I much prefer leather as it's just more comfortable to me.
  18. SpeedyK

SpeedyK Lone Rider

Oddometer:
  19. DEdge

DEdge Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Have used Held, Olympia motosport and BMW airflow suit and after buying motoport airflow police pants and riding a few thousand miles with them these feel like they will provide substantially better protection than any have worn (including also kevlar draggin and sliders jeans). Read their accident reports...

http://www.motoport.com/index.php?option=com_redshop&view=product&pid=46&cid=29&Itemid=15
  20. Turnerdude1

Turnerdude1 Turnerdude1

Oddometer:
    Got a good deal on pull over leather pants at Jasmine
    Leather..