The All New LIQUID COOLED R1200GS threadfest

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Dorsicano, Feb 3, 2011.

1. NLS

NLS My bike needs washing...

Oddometer:
    RU sure?

How much Akra is charged?
  2. 268

268 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    800-900 € in Belgium, the Netherlands and Germany :huh
  3. GGR

GGR n00b

Oddometer:
    And the remus only slightly less expensive, between 700 and 790 depending on the model. Still like it better than the Akra, not as massive.
  4. IB1

IB1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The remus was 600 on the site. but I am quite pleased with the original exhaust, so that one stays on.

Edit: I see the price went up.
  5. kindofblue

kindofblue Ride it like you stole it

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tip! Mine's the same and I hadn't thought of that yet. And nice pic. I see you have the fastest color, red :hide

6. NLS

NLS My bike needs washing...

Oddometer:
    I doubt Remus is better from the Akra. It is more "mainstream" though.
    Akra is pretty much considered the best brand (maybe along with Yoshimura that I don't think makes a GS exhaust).
    My GS favorite was BOS though. Let see if those guys come up with something.
  7. pklop

pklop Motorcycle addict

Oddometer:
    Conti Trail Attack 2. The bike tracks like on rail - very stable with effortless steering, very sticky in the cold. They give me confidence. I really have nothing bad to say about them - yet; at 1200 km usage.
  8. MaxReving

MaxReving Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After I went through all the posted photos of new 1200GS LC in this and the other thread then I could see that it seams that you were the only one that did not have the Metzeler Tourance Next on your bike. Thanks for your comments. It will be nice if you later on will post a comment when you change your tires, so we all can get an indication of how long they last. It is not going to be that long if you continue to ride as much as you have done the last few days :evil

Max :-)
  9. 268

268 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My bike arrived yesterday at the dealer, and comes with the Michelin anakee's. will report later next week my first impressions on these tires :norton
  10. Mrmerlin

Mrmerlin Rollin 2016 RK and 2 BMW R 1150 GS s

Oddometer:
    Took out the 2013 Demo R1200GS today, the steering is very lite almost too lite.
    It feels more like a 200cc dirtbike on pavement.

The engine revs quickly , its smooth, has lots of power and will rev to 9K . the exhaust note is nice a deeper throaty sound
    The clutch felt good and it was easy to use.
    The brakes felt OK though not as powerful as my K1330S but the bike was new so maybe the brakes need time to bed in.

The trans seems to shift like a slightly clunky Japanese trans , and it snicked into gear thats not a bad thing. very little effort required.

On the highway the bike could be felt being subject to crosswinds.
    IOW the bike felt like it was being pushed sidways ever so slightly,
    maybe this has to do with the lightness in the bars.
    My K1300S also reacts to the wind like this after swapping the rear shock 31mm rise plates prior it quite stable

Since i ride with the balls of my feet on the pegs my left foot/heel was being trapped by the foot of the centerstand,
    I didnt like this is should be shortened, it makes the peg area seem cramped.

The one thing i didnt like was all of the plastic being used for the various parts of the bike ,
    Yes I know its to make the bike lighter.

The other thing was how thin the front subframe was,
    rather spindly and thus easy to damage if the bike has a crash.
    One nice thing I noticed was the heaters for the lower legs seemed to work great.
    the Cruise control was fun to play with and was easy to use
    Would i buy one , .... Nope i am quite happy with my 2001 GS R 1500, and my K1300S
  11. T@z

T@z Belgian beers drinker

Oddometer:

In Belgium: 1040,19€ for the Akra :kboom
  12. kindofblue

kindofblue Ride it like you stole it

Oddometer:
    Hi all,
    I've got a Wolfman Expedition tank bag that has served me well on previous bikes. I have to admit though that I'm not sure where/how I could attach the 2 aft straps to the frame below the front of the seat.

Any thoughts, recommendations, etc... would be appreciated. I do need a tank bag with a reasonably large map pocket on top that's held on w/velcro. I work bike races as a motoref and need that space for my notepad, digital voice recorder, stopwatch, etc...
  13. madefrtv

madefrtv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    First service includes a final drive spill and fill. As its my first boxer, I don't know if that's new, but I'm glad to know that the fluid will be fresh after the run-in.
    300 miles on the clock and still happy as a clam, only problem is I have to stop to pee.
  14. AA5IB

AA5IB Wannabe Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    MSRP on the Remus is $899.

A&S Cycle lists the BMW/Akra at $1329. :eek1
  15. maximo de la maximus

maximo de la maximus Abracadabra Holmes

Oddometer:
    I just modified my 'held' tank bag which also has 2 straps. Pick one of two pairs of screws available (the 2 directly toward 6 oclock and the two more lateral but still under the seat) and cut the straps to length. Melt a very small hole in the nylon, add a small washer, and screw 'em down permanent like. Mine are pretty thick rubber so didn't have to use a washer; just screwed them thru the existing buckle hole. When I take the tank bag off I can just tuck the straps and velcro between the seat and tank- easy peasy, low profile, uber secure, and very clean This is of course if you don't want to replace your wolfman (or get another with 2 straps). IF you need a reason to upgrade, well, I completely understand and I'm sure there's something designed to fit in that little catch area between teh 6oclock screws I referenced.
  16. Japanviking

Japanviking Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After picking the bike up on Friday evening I went out and put around 100kms on it, I like to break my bikes in with a lot of acceleration and engine braking, kept both engine speed and power under about 75% for the first ride.

Yesterday I went for a long ride in the fantastic mountain twisties around here and added another 650km's to the odo. Dropped the bike off for the forst service this morning with the mileage at 750kms.

Very happy with the bike so far.

When first heading out yesterday I noticed how light the steering felt. I was a bit worried the it would become unstable when ridden at a higher pace on the bumpy corners.
    As the pace picked up the bike felt really solid in the turns. No problems when hitting bumps even with higher speeds and lean angles.

When I test rode a bike around town I found the Dynamic mode to be to twitchy, just as they tried to make the bike feel faster by moving the throttle action to the first degrees of throttle movement.
    When riding the bike on nicer roads at speed it just works, felt really good together with the firmer suspension setting.

Dynamic ESA,
    I never had much faith in the electronic suspension thing. Had ESA on a 2008 GS and hated it. On that bike they just made the cheap crappy suspension adjustable on the fly, it was still cheap and crappy though.

I have a full Öhlins setup on my 2006 GS that I have been very happy with. Was disappointed that all bikes here in Japan came with the Dynamic ESA.

But

The new ESA is nothing like the old, it really works! I did need to put the preload on rider+luggage to handle my 110kg's of Swedish flab.
    Played around with different modes and found the Dynamic mode to work best for aggressive riding in the twisties and the Road setting with the suspension set to soft worked well on the highway to filter out the road vibrations.

When ridden fast the suspension feels just like a high quality well setup set of aftermrket shocks. Everything is kept under control and didn't give me any surprises. When the bike isn't moving it the damping feels very soft when jumping on the seat.
    On the old bike I sometimes had issues with hard braking into bumpy hairpins. The front wheel ABS would be triggered and the brakes would be released for a split second.
    This is not the case on the new GS. I think the newer generation ABS together with the suspension keep everything better under control. Even on rippled roads I could brake hard enough to have the tires chirping front and rear without feeling any intervention from the ABS.
    Now I only worry about the longevity of this complex system.

Screen is a big improvement compared to the old GS.

Glossy screen cover over the display is annoying in sunny weather.

Navi IV covers half of the tacho. Looks like it would be possible to move it up and out of the way a bit since there is some space left between the screen and navi.

No issues with instability. I imagine some of the roads I rode yesterday would provoke any tendencies to become unstable. Between the hairpins I rode over a few dips and damaged areas big enough to send me flying without issues.

Get one if you can!
  17. EJ_92606

EJ_92606 Rider

Oddometer:
    Congrats on the new bike. Not many reports here from dynamic ESA owners yet, so glad to hear yours works well on a spirited day of riding. :clap
  18. 268

268 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  19. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    +1. I usually add an Akra to my bikes but the new GS's OEM exhaust sounds fantastic.
  20. MaxReving

MaxReving Been here awhile

Oddometer: