640 Adv off road competition?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Cathalp, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Cathalp

Cathalp Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How practical would it be to use the 640 Adv in some form of off road competition here in Ireland? From what I can see it should be reasonably competent in a Hare and Hound type competition.
    Their pedigree is off road, they can handle rallies.
    The largest off road organization has told me it's not suitable for anything thay run,which includes H&H events.
    I just want to get dirty.
  2. Blinkerfluid

Blinkerfluid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do you want to compete or just have fun?? I'm sure it won't compete with a 450 size bike in a hare scramble, but that doesn't mean you couldn't have fun with it.. and I'm sure you'd get a ton of attention with it... Go do it and have fun, just know you're not going to win anything.
  3. overlandr

overlandr Dystopist

Oddometer:
    Its the size - 640 is big for HnH and the tank/fairing make it all very big compared to the usual bikes in those types of events. Just try and find an event whose organisers are a bit flexible and more friendly!:wink:
  4. Cathalp

Cathalp Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For sure I wouldn't be competitive but I'd like to see what I can endure on the bike. I'll dig a little deeper with other clubs and see if I can go for a run.
    Thanks for the input.
  5. Nico

Nico ruff

Oddometer:
    Does the Camelback make the Irish stout taste funny? :slurp
  6. CodyY

CodyY ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer:
    Just show up and ride the C loop.
  7. Thraan

Thraan Long timer

Oddometer:
    With the other KLRs. :deal
  8. header

header Chris

Oddometer:
    You should be fine with the adv. I use my XRR for local harescrambles and while its alot lighter than the adv I still have no problems with it. Ive found that you do have to be in really good shape and that you ABSOLUTELY must get specialty tires for the specific terrain your running and only use them for the race and maybe one test run.

Main thing, have fun :thumb
  9. Zerodog

Zerodog Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you are already a very good dirt rider on a dirtbike you might be able to survive an easier event on a 640. It just really depends on the event, your ability and your tolerance for suffering.
  10. holycaveman

holycaveman Long timer

Oddometer:
    My friend Rob from this forum won the vet B class on a 640 adv. It was a very tough/tecnical enduro. Alot of people did not even finish.

Its not the bike its the rider.

People always say the big bikes can't compete, because they don't have the expierence. So they ASSUME.

The truth is they can smoke the 250's and 450's etc....with the right rider aboard:wink:

[​IMG]