Two DR's over the Cascades

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by smilin jack, Aug 8, 2010.

1. smilin jack

smilin jack Grandpa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Frank and I rode today (fbritt5 on advrider). We went south from hwy 20 on Canyon Creek road over the top 5700 ft and dropped down into the McKenzie river drainage, then turned east to road 15 (Deer Creek) and north back to hwy 20.

We went down hwy 20 to Civil road and took the cut-off road north over to Sheep Creek and down to hwy 20 again. We stopped at Fernview campground for a drink and snack in the shade (hot day), then rode the historic Santiam wagon road to Yukwah campground and home on hwy 20 through Sweet Home. It was about 100 miles, with about ½ being on gravel. It was a fun day.
    This picture is across the canyon view looking north at Iron Mtn L.O.

Here's the link to all the 2010 pictures.
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2029181&id=1339796088&l=3d8dcb2743

Dave

Attached Files:

2. smilin jack

Oddometer:
    Here's where Frank stopped to show off his new LED brake and tail lights, next to the old growth log that had fallen over the road. Some nice 4x4 truck guys cleaned it out for us to pass.

Did I mention it was a hot day inside the riding clothes?

Can you see Frank's fire extinguisher on the back of the Pelican box? The high fire danger rules require a 2 1/2 pound fire bottle on bikes, and on trucks... more stuff. Things like a gallon of water, a long handled shovel, a fire bottle, and other stuff...

Dave

Attached Files:

3. smilin jack

Oddometer:
    Here's a picture of the sign posted along the USFS road.

The newspaper article said motorcycles didn't need the bucket of water and shovel, just the fire bottle. I borrowed mine from the boat.

Dave

Attached Files:

4. Klay

Klay dreaming adventurer

Oddometer:
    And...

:lurk
  5. smilin jack

Oddometer:
    Well, we rode toward home, stopped at the store and went home to drink some adult beverages...

And get the bike ready for the Monday morning commute.

This next weekend, we're riding to the coast near Newport for a 22LR silhouette shoot (by invitation only). This is the 4th or 5th year we've competed, and the best part is the BBQ steaks and cooked oysters on the 1/2 shell.

Dave