2013 + Honda CB1100

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by cabanza, Aug 24, 2012.

1. Guth

Guth Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The review in BIKE Magazine (Issue 479, March 2013) was probably the most glowing I've seen yet for the CB1100. I was going to post a few choice quotes here, but I'm guessing that type of thing is a no-no given my quick review of the forum rules. For those who are feeling favorable about this bike, there is page after page of gushing over the big CB. Highly recommended.
  2. Tripl Nikl

Tripl Nikl Long timer

Oddometer:
    Remember Cabbage Patch Dolls?

Or Tickle Me Elmos?

Or... Oh... Every Apply product introduction?

Yeah... *Some* people will pay crazy prices to have the hottest, newest thing.

*If* Honda ramps up the prices because they have a popular bike, screw 'em. I'm just as excited about the Triumph Street Tracker--if Triumph does it right. Me? I'm not going to pay a "hey, it's popular" premium for the CB1100. I like my DR650, it's not even a year old, I'm in no hurry at all about "needing" a replacement.
  3. dogjaw

dogjaw plays well alone

Oddometer:
    Hey, we do NOT use the "N" word in this thread!!!!

"Need"

That is all
  4. M3-SRT8

M3-SRT8 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You're right. In a situation like this, you have to know when and where to strike to secure a very sharp OTD price. In this case it takes information (via the Net), and a subtle combination of diplomacy, cojones, and ca$h.

I did, so I did it.
  5. Guth

Guth Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, I wrote the folks at BIKE magazine and amazingly they quickly replied (literally within hours) to let me know that it is permissible to quote chunks of content as long as entire stories are not being posted. So with that in mind here are a couple of my favorite quotes from the CB1100 review that appears in the magazine (Issue 479, March 2013):

"Hauling top gear from just 30mph is effortless, and swinging around at low revs the motor is smoother than glass. There's old-school surging from tick-over through the midrange, and between 5000 and 6500rpm there's the puffed-up chest-out thrust to slaughter twins like the Bonneville and highlights the humble nature of Kawasaki's W800. And though there's really no need the CB will cheerily drive on past its 8500rpm redline."

"And there's a wholeness, a level of completeness perhaps lacking in throwback alternatives; switches will last the life of the bike, finish is high and consistent, and the brake and clutch levers have masses of span adjustment. It feels bespoke."

The reviewer finishes out with this:

"the Honda is pricier than obvious rivals but, for me, it's a triumph over the Bonneville."
  6. dpg

dpg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for taking the time to get those quotes Guth.

Congrats M3! I am in discussion of how I can make a deposit and get the agreement in writing from a dealer as we speak.

You really do meet the nicest people on a Honda....thread.

[​IMG]
  7. mrbreeze

mrbreeze I keep blowing down the road

Oddometer:

I have never been willing to pay a premium, for anything. I remember when the Trans Am was hot and dealers were getting "ADP" - additional dealer profit. Not from me! And when demand for Harley's went thru the roof and customers were standing in line to ass raped, not me!

and I never will.
  8. Dynaguy

Dynaguy n00b

Oddometer:
    Mine should arrive (fittingly enough in my case) on April 1. It looks like these will, at least for starters, be pretty limited in supply. My dealer is one of the largest I have ever seen and they are getting two and two only. One standard and one ABS. That being said, I am getting a good deal so I'm ready to add the Honda to the stable.
  9. The other Ferret

The other Ferret Motorcycle nut

Oddometer:
    What kind of deal on which model Bob, are you at liberty to say?
  10. The other Ferret

Oddometer:
    Man, I can't imagine the grief Honda would get if they posted an ad of a couple riding a CB 1100 wearing that gear lol
  11. Mobiker

Mobiker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, people were willing to pay stupid high prices for Harleys in the '90's. I bought a '91 FXRP new in in '91 and sold it in '94 for more than I paid for it. Only time that's ever happened with a new vehicle purchase!
  12. M3-SRT8

M3-SRT8 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Didn't Don Draper do that ad? Or was it Peggy Olsen?
  13. Dynaguy

Dynaguy n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm getting the Non ABS. My deal is $9,999.00 plus GA tax. No Freight, No Setup charges. Also included is 3 years full maintenance. So, I think its fair. I'm sure some dealers will gouge and others will offer low teaser prices then load up the extra charges. I do think this will be a limited release. Remember that when first introduced here, the Yamaha FJR 1300 was a pre-order full boat purchase only.

1977 Yamaha XS 650
    2002 Ducati Monster S4
    2003 Kawasaki ZZR 12
    2006 Truimph Thruxton
    2006 Harley Super Glide
    2009 Suzuki DR 650 Super Motard (home made)
    2012 Kawasaki KX250F
  14. The other Ferret

Oddometer:
  15. Gham

Gham tritagonist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a good deal to me,I look forward to the reviews from owners to start rolling in!
  16. furious_blue

furious_blue Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don't recall seeing in this thread a link to the original 'A Day Of Freedom' promo video that Honda put out a few years ago.

Apologies if this is a re-post.

It captures the feeling of a relaxed day on a motorcycle (CB1100 in this case) going nowhere in particular, really well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qffNaGStwlw

I like the tinkle sounds of the engine cooling off at the end :-)
  17. RaY YreKa

RaY YreKa AA Zoom Baby

Oddometer:
    Cool vid. Thanks for posting.
  18. dirtdreamer50

dirtdreamer50 long time rider

Oddometer:
    Something led me to that video a while back, but your post is appreciated. Watching it again, I pretty much made up my mind that I had to have an 1100 before I'm too old to swing a leg over. Thanks. Think I will need to find some reflective windows to ride past, just to watch myself ride by....tp dd50

Never flown a plane, but that biplane looked like a blast to pilot around the clear blue skies. tp
  19. dirtdreamer50

dirtdreamer50 long time rider

Oddometer:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARAZIzRW5tw

Nice video review from Motorcycle Trader of OZ. Not quite the same bike available here, but close enough. We are suppose to get a taller seat and bars, and available ABS, at least that's what I read on an MCN review from the UK. tp
  20. Guth

Guth Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    While we're on a bit of a video roll... This is certainly not the best video out there, but perhaps the best audio captured of the CB1100 so far:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8y76peMuCAI?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>