KYMCO GTi 300

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by tastroman, Apr 10, 2011.

1. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    I started a "what did you pay thread" on the Kymco forum-asking for info on the People GT 300i ( and getting other scoots too)-one guy in NY state paid $4400 for a new one.
  2. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm anxious for "Kentucky" to take delivery on his new People GT 300i scoot & make a report...:wink:
  3. Phipsd

Phipsd Older but not wiser.

Oddometer:
    Kiwiscoot on another forum rode his Citycom year round and used a GIVI for winter riding. It broke and he went back to stock.
  4. Kentucky

Kentucky Long timer

Oddometer:
    Received my GTi today. Only rode about 30 miles around town. Definitely a nice scoot. Installed the GIVI E52 top box and started wiring accessory cigarette lighter and Gerbing electric jacket liner pigtail. Going nicely. This is a well built and well designed scooter with the exception of the fuel tank consuming almost all of the underseat storage. Who thought that was a good idea I wonder?

Barry
  5. Bugtussle

Bugtussle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That must be a nice ride. I will look forward to your thoughts on how it compares to the BV 250 after you've had some time to ride it for awhile.
  6. driller

driller Twist and Go

Oddometer:
    YellowJacket just took delivery of one Tuesday. First report was :clap:wings:rayof:rilla:beer:happay
    Hopefuly he will take time off the new scoot to share some opinion.:deal
  7. Yellow Jacket

Yellow Jacket Long timer

Oddometer:
    Driller is way ahead of me. I just stumbled onto this thread. Just picked this up yesterday. This was really my second choice for a new scooter, BV350 being my first. Couldn't find any really hot deals on them and nearest dealer is about 80 miles away. Kymco was only 5 miles from home and $4691 OTD, about $1700 less that the BV would have been.
    Driller and I will be doing some performance evaluations soon at our local drag strip. Will keep all posted. So far, seat of the pants is very encouraging. BTW, took it out to my secret dyno test track, and can say it is quicker than my BV250 that has light rollers and Polini clutch spring.

[​IMG]
  8. Yellow Jacket

Yellow Jacket Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Kentucky, looks like we have the same taste in bikes. Sorry the deal on my BV didn't work out. What color GTi did you get?
  9. GREY.HOUND

GREY.HOUND Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice looking scooter. That's the one that really made me decide I wanted a scooter not a 250cc "beginner" motorcycle. Couldn't find one locally though. Enjoy
  10. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:
    Time for 14 gr Dr Pulley sliders!

Other then BV350 being a bit faster, the GTi is a better scoot in many ways.
  11. Kentucky

Kentucky Long timer

Oddometer:
    The 2012 Kymco GTi300 is packed and ready. Here is the list of things I did in the last two days to get her ready for this exciting work trip:

Changed oil and filter: Mobil 1 15w50 Syn

Changed rear tranny oil: Mobil 1 75w90 Syn

Installed cigeratte lighter/power point in the panel that covers the coolant overflow tank.

Installed GIVI E52 top case. Hope the nylon rack is capable of holding the GIVI. It has 5 pairs of pants, 5 race uniform shirts, all race prep materials, one pair of shoes, 5 pair of socks and a bunch of other items.

The rear shocks are set one notch above the softest settings but the spanner is on top of the stuff in the underseat tray so that I can make adjustments easily when I get up the road a couple of hundred miles if required.

Installed a pigtail for my Gerbings full sleeve liner. It resides in the underseat tray.

Set tire pressures 4 pounds above factory recommended pressures.

Adjusted the Ermax windshield and installed a Laminar lip. Works great by the way.

Intalled the required AMA Pro Racing stickers and paddock access sticker to get me into the Springfield Mile Flat Track race and Road America Road Race paddocks.

As I depart Dayona Beach in the morning my odometer reading is 2035 miles.

I only had time to ride about 120 miles in the last couple of days since the bike arrived just three days ago. Fuel economy on the first tank was 68 mpg. When I get back home to Daytona on the 5th of June I should have about 5200 miles. I will change oil and figure my average fuel economy.

Its asking a bit more than average for a 300 to do this. The Sac Harley Davidson large waterproof leather bag on the passenger pillion will be completely full as is the GIVI E52 and the underseat tray.

This shoudl be fun. If any scooter folks make it out to the Springfield Mile or Road America be sure to say hello.

Barry
  12. Kentucky

Kentucky Long timer

Oddometer:
    You still have about the best looking BV250 ever. My 06 BV is doing great. The GF has pretty much assumed mental ownership. I agree the Kymco is better in some ways but I will let you know more after my 3500 mile trip. The BV250 is just about the most perfect scooter ever.
    Barry
  13. luckychucky

luckychucky Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    It's a People 150, half the People 300! RIght? Anyway eye-candy for the people lovers.
  14. JerryH

JerryH Vintage scooter/motorcycle enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is a nice scooter. I definitely like it's looks better than the Honda Forza, and it's MSRP is less. You could probably get it OTD for a whole lot less, and it really is 300cc. Should be highway capable for a single rider, without being a huge land yacht. I definitely need to go check on of these out.

Scooters of this style generally have pretty easy access to the valves.

http://www.kymcousa.com/showroom/scooters/peoplegt300i/index.html
  15. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:
    I love that one and the old style 250.

I'd actually rather have that 150 now then the 300.
  16. Kentucky

Kentucky Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Kymco GTi300 tour is well underway. 1500 miles from Daytona to Springfield Il for the Springfield Mile weekend went great. 70 to 75 mph and 65 to 70 mpg depending on wind on the Interstate most of the way up. The bike is exceptionally stable in dirty air in the midst of semi trucks and big crosswinds. The seat sucks but a beaded panel helped some. I will be making improvements when the 3500 mile adventure is complete.

I do miss the gas tank being located in the front fairing like it was on the Bet and Win 250. Having to raise the seat to fuel is a pain with the large seat bag strapped on. The fuel tank underseat also robbed the bike of the great underseat storage the B&W had. Dummies. Other than that however, this is one fine motorcycle.

I left Daytona with fresh Mobil 1 15w50 full syn. Considering the 70 to 80 mph 1500 mile trip I drained the syn and replaced with the same at 1500. No filter change...just oil. It is well broken in and running great.

Looking forward to hopping back on Monday and heading towards Elkhart Lake, Wi to Road America to announce our road race next weekend. I'm thinking since I have ample time to enjoy the trip I will two lane only and avoid Chi town completely.

I keep thinking about the comparison between the Piaggio BV250 back in the garage and my friends BV350 and the GTi300. There are things I like better about each. One thing I've noticed is the steering geomotry is a bit slower on the GTi. This makes for amazing stability in big crosswinds and rain of which I have had plenty of this trip thusfar.

Barry
  17. GREY.HOUND

GREY.HOUND Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great! Glad all is well and enjoy the rest of the trip.
  18. Yellow Jacket

Yellow Jacket Long timer

Oddometer:
    Second fill up today, 71MPG on first tank. Very happy with that. Hope it stays that good after I start riding it a little harder. Also, did a speedo check today using GPS and timed between mile markers on the interstate. Speedo is one of the most accurate I've seen, maybe 1% fast. Tire wear will change that.
    Also, fuel gauge is pretty far off, low fuel indicator flashing and still had maybe 50 miles to go. At some point I'll carry extra gas and run it dry so I'll know how far I can get on a fill up.
  19. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:
    +1 for speedo, GTi and DT300 both have very accurate speedos, unlike
    the Xciting series which was 20% off at top speed. I got 5% error at top
    speed on my DT300 (4,5mph).
  20. Kentucky

Kentucky Long timer

Oddometer:
    2000 miles down. 1500 to go. The ride to Road America was great. The sweet spot at 70 to 75 nets 70 mpg. Two lane or 4 it always gets 70 or so. Love the GTi.